How can I get them to eat better? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 10-01-2005, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All of them are on Amazon.com, and her website is www.nigella.com

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#62 of 64 Old 10-01-2005, 06:48 PM

I married dh after 2 months, so dss (5 at time) was in a bit of a shock. After living with his single dad for a couple of years, they were on a ravioli, pizza, mac and cheese diet. I came a long and kinda threw that for a loop. But, if I had to do it over, I'd take smaller baby steps than I did. Food is a comfort to kids and after breaking dss's heart with a healthier brand of frozen pizza , I started buying "his brand" again because that little kid had been through a lot of yuckiness in the past years, and if the familiar taste of his favorite pizza made him happy, then ok. I eventually alternated between "his food" and "my food." Mac and cheese one night (yes, out of the box) with a side of veggies, and my healthy stuff the next night with side of something he liked. I think you can wean them off the junk, but do it slowly, respect their grandma and what is comfortable to them, add your own ideas and "blend" your family's eating. If he said, that's not how grandma made it, I'd smile sadly and say, "I know, we'll have to have grandma make it again for you soon." Try not to take it personally. It sounds like those kids have been through a lot.
#63 of 64 Old 10-03-2005, 03:14 PM

thanks flapjack!

Jennifer - your right about taking baby steps - however I am afraid of instead of weaning my niece and nephue from their bad food habit, I will be weaning my own younger very influential children onto a bad food habit. My sister's kids's comfort food is nothing but hydrogenated fats and corn syrup. Both of which my children never have unless someone else gives it to them.

I know I must sound really mean - but my kids are really influenced by my niece and nephue. For example: I usually make tofu about once a week - MY biological kids usually like it a lot. however when I made it the other day and my niece saw it before I cooked it, she was really grossed out and began having a fit saying she wouldn't eat it. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, my 3 yo dd decided that she was not going to eat it either because her older 6yo cousin would not eat it.

This is very frustrating. <sigh> okay. . . okay I have an idea. Maybe I can get dh to take my kids and give my niece and nephue some attention and make something that I would normally not make or take them to the place I hate - yes the yellow arches. I can't even bring myself to type it. However, you are right and what the kids need right now is comfort. At least they're on the Juice Plus.
#64 of 64 Old 10-04-2005, 05:36 PM

newstepmomma, do you have any farmers markets or even better, any organic farms near you? Or how about a community garden where the kids can be invloved with the growing, harvesting and then cooking and eating veggies? That might get them more interested.

But honestly, on the not so touchy feely tip, I am more of a "this is what we are having for dinner, eat it or not" mindset. This is pretty much how I was raised, and how we do it in our house now, and I think kids prefer it, actually. I believe children crave boundaries and having every meal be their choice can be too overwhelming, especially if they are not old/matrue enough to make healthy choices. If you gently state that the new rules are that you are making one dinner for the whole family and that's that. Ask for their input by offering choices "we can either have tacos or lasgna tonight, which would you like?" You will likely get some resistnace at first, but I think if you stick to it and be consistent, they will get on board pretty quickly.

By the way, both tacos and lasagna are easy dishes to throw in veggies and the don't even notice they're there. Zuccinni and mushrooms, carrots and spinach, chop it up and mix in it with your taco or lasagna filling, use lots of seasoning and they probably won't even notice them. Another good option is pizza with veggie toppings - they can make their own individual pizzas, which kids always love doing. You can even use veggie pepperoni and not tell they - they'll never know the difference, it tastes so much the same.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page