Nudity and the stepchild(ren) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DSS is VERY aware of my body. I have posted about his "big boobs" comment here before. That's not the only time he has mentioned them. I do not censor my clothing around him in the sense that I continue to wear what I am comfortable in. When he is not here I sleep naked. When he is here I do not. I also shut the door when I bath and what not. I have often wondered what to do because of our habits and the fact that he is not here often. We often go to the bathroom with the door open, I bath with it open, and I often walk around (at night when I know no one is going to stop by and if they are they call :LOL). So when he is here it is hard to suddenly switch. We do it though and I don't have a problem with this. However, this weekend it was brought to the limelight. I hopped in the tub and got myself all washed up before I got DD in. DSS knew what I was doing and even though the door was shut he opened it and tried to come in. I told him I was bathing and to please shut the door. He did and didn't make an issue of it. After I got out and had the towel wrapped around me he came bursting in again (he had to go to the bathroom..I wasn't going to stop him! :LOL) and without knocking. Because of the urgency I didn't care. Ten seconds later he was in my bedroom trying to hang out in there (at this point I only had a bra and underware). I shooed him away and finsihed getting dressed. I do not have a problem with nudity or him seeing it. I think it is natural and I do not want to make it seem dirty to him (he's 5). However, I was uncomfortable with this since the most he has seen of me is a flash of skin as I nurse. What do you do? We do not know the "naked" rule (if it's ok, when it's ok, etc.) at his house and frankly I don't want to bring it up (his mom can kind of be....testy). I don't want to make an issue of it since he quickly left the room whenever I asked but he is VERY aware. I'm not used to this since he is the first 5 year old I have reall spent time with much less help raise. What do you do at your house?

Sorry if this is rambly. It's late (early techinically since it's 2:42 my time) and I've had a bit much coffee.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 3 Old 11-01-2005, 08:20 PM

What do we do?

We use locks on our bathroom doors, and change in our walk-in closet or the bathroom. We are not naked around our step-children (SO around my DD, or me around my DSS), actually SO and DS stopped nudity around each other about a year and a half ago.

DD still showers with me, and sees me change though.
#3 of 3 Old 11-02-2005, 02:03 AM

I have known my SS since before he was born (long story there LOL). His dad moved in when he was almost 3. Back then I wasn't concerned about nudity, but around the time he turned 4, I stopped feeling comfy with it. He didn't say anything or look at me weird or anything (that I can consciously tell), but I just started feeling uncomfortable with being nude around him, so I stopped. Maybe it was my pregnancy (I was pg during the time he was 4). I sleep nude all the time, I just cover myself if he is awake and may come in the room for some reason. We have him every other weekend.

DS sees me nude all the time -- I have no problem with that. He is only 3 though, and, well... mine? We run around nude whenever we're at home (except the weekends SS is over... then it's just DS).

FWIW, DH could care less who sees HIM nude, and doesn't think I should have a problem when SS is over. SS is 8 now, and thinks me being naked is "gross" anyway

Don't know if this helps, but wanted to relate what happens here at our house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page