Going to a mediator? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-10-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had any experience with mediators to work out "day to day/business of life" - type issues? Dh and dsd's mom were divorced 10 years ago, dh and I were married 4.5 yrs ago, and dsd's mom re-married 2 years ago so things have pretty much settled down from what they were like in the past. Dsd is 12.

However, we're still struggling with scheduling issues. We've tried talking - the four of us together, me and mom, me and stepdad, dh and mom, emailing, phone, in person, etc. trying to come to an agreement on how we do the schedule, protocol for changing the schedule, how we communicate, how involved dsd is in the whole process, etc. We cannot seem to agree on what's right/fair/reasonable on a whole bunch of issues.

Soooooo, dh and I are thinking it's time to bring in a mediator. No one associated with any court or agency - just an individual who helps all sorts of people resolve conflict, make compromises, reach an agreement about some open issue(s).

Anyone else done this? How do you convince the other party that it's a good idea, necessary, will help, etc.?

I made some calls today to get an idea of time committment, fees, style of working with clients, etc. and have some info coming in the mail that we can share with dsd's mom and stepdad, but mom has already made it clear she doesn't think it's necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In California we have to go through mediation before you can go to court so we've done it a lot and found it totally useless. But, I dont' think it has to be. In our case, it goes like this. Dh says, I think the schedule should be X, the ex says, I think the schedule should be Y, and the mediators, say, well, you don't agree, so maybe you should go to court! : I wanted the mediator to say, here is what some families do, or here is another possibility, etc. But these ladies here don't do that. A neutral party sounds like a good idea. Where would you find the mediator if it isn't connected to a court or agency? Here, the mediators are free and through the court, but it is confidential if no agreement is reached. Would the ex trust that it is neutral if you just find someone?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page