written permission to move out of state? - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 4 Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
EastbayK's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My FI and I are moving from San Francisco to Florida for a year while he attends flight school. My preschool age son is moving with us. I have verbal permission from his father to move out of state (he only has 4% custody anyway...), but per our divorce documents need written permission. Has anyone been through this? Anyone have a template I can work off of? Can I get away with just writing a 2 sentence thing and having him sign it?

Would it need to be notorized? I doubt he would change his mind and try to challenge it in court, because it would be his signature and he couldn't lie about that, but would, for instance, a school or dr. office? My guess is no, since they would not be a party to what was laid out in the divorce aggreement, but then again, maybe they are more strict on that kind of thing in a different region of the US...

Anyone BTDT? Thanks!


Mama to one, wife to an aviator, lover of a cancer survivor, graduate student, blogger and all around good person
EastbayK is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 4 Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 PM
djs_girl517's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't think it would need to be very long. Just enough to explain the situation. I would get it notarized, though, just to CYA.
djs_girl517 is offline  
#3 of 4 Old 11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
boobybunny's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most states will let you move, even without "permission" if it betters the life of the family. (school will never be denied)
boobybunny is offline  
#4 of 4 Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 PM
lilsishomemade's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Dorothy
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's spelled out in your divorce, then I'd get it done. Just a little something saying that he is fine with you moving to Florida and yes, I'd get it notarized just to be safe. You wouldn't need it for school or doctors or anything like that, just a CYA in case he does decide to be mean. When I moved in with my dad, my mom did write and sign a note saying she was fine with it, but he never had to present that note to anyone, even to get me put on his insurance. It's for your files, and for any court proceedings.
lilsishomemade is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 17,044

28 members and 17,016 guests
afinemess , cadence.clair , Deborah , Dovenoir , Fluffer , Janeen0225 , JElaineB , katelove , Kelleybug , lhargrave89 , lisak1234 , Midwestmom2009 , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , mumto1 , NaturallyKait , redsally , rocky , RollerCoasterMama , samaxtics , shantimama , Skippy918 , sren , tapatio , verticalscope , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.