joint custody in separate cities? can it work? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have always split time (my ex and I) with our son evenly, just about. But we are thinking very very seriously about moving about an hour out of twon and wondering if we can still make it work to split the time (we would homeschool if we split the time) evenly, or if it is just better for our son to be with one of us full time and the other every other weekend, holidays, summer etc.
#2 of 5 Old 05-08-2006, 09:55 PM

I'm really not sure about how much time you guys have put into it on splitting it.. but me and my ex husband have "joint custody" only for the sole purpose of him having joint rights to medical things and so forth with the boys. He wants to feel he has just as much say. He lives 4 hours from me and he gets them every other weekend.
#3 of 5 Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 AM

If you are successfully splitting time and co-parenting, I think it would be crazy to disrupt that situation. If your child can have both parents on a 50/50 basis it seems unfair to force him/her to exchange that for a "weekend" daddy or mommy. Actually -- I'm curious what motivating factor could be big enough to make one parent willing give up seeing their kid half the time?
#4 of 5 Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 PM

I think it depends on the kid's age. By 9 kids are really looking to peers as their "favorite person" and they should be. This kind of arragement would make it hard since they can't maintain friendships during opposit parent time.

I love the idea though...I am just trying to see how it could work for an older kid.
#5 of 5 Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMine
I think it depends on the kid's age. By 9 kids are really looking to peers as their "favorite person" and they should be. This kind of arragement would make it hard since they can't maintain friendships during opposit parent time.

I love the idea though...I am just trying to see how it could work for an older kid.
he is nine and this is a huge priority for him actually.

we decided against it and are trying to stay in the city so we can keep our mostly even spilt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page