potty mouth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Levi keeps saying "i'll kill you" and now he is telling me "brandon (my husband) is going to kill me"

this was picked up from the kids outside that he played with one day and will never play with again. my problem is how do i stop the bad words and phrases now! Levi visits with his dad regularly and if he goes to his dads and says "brandon is going to kill me" im sure he will be getting the law involved!

i know when i was little and said "bad" words i got my mouth rinsed out with soap. that is not ap and i cant do that. how do i stop this, now?

xposted everywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM

How old is Levi?
#3 of 5 Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM

When my son cussed I took him home and put him in a time out. I started by identifying words I didn't want to hear by rephrasing the sentance...

"what? Kill? We don't say Kill..." in sort of a shocked OUCH kind of way

Once he knows that isn't OK then the time out for it.

Scary that phrase going to dad's house. Can you talk to your ex before the visit about your challenges with Levi and his language and ask his advice? It might enroll him in problem solving, get him on board on working on it in his home and help keep him from freaking out.
#4 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

levi just turned 3. i emailed his dad and got a positive response. right now im just trying to change the subject. it worked lastnight. he said kill you and i jumped up and yelled "you want to what??!!! call me!!!! ok" and i grabbed my phone and pretended to talk to him on the phone. i think the loudness of my voice flipped his mind and he got excited about the phone.
#5 of 5 Old 06-09-2006, 05:13 PM

glad you were able to get dad on board, fear of the other house can be paralyzing but what is worse when it stops us from acting it can hurt the kids so much because they aren't given the chance to learn how to behave correctly.

So glad dad is stepping up and will support you in correcting this behavior- that also will only help your son to grow into a man!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page