Suggestions for a new SM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-23-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am engaged to an awesome guy who has a 10 year old DD. I have a 2 yo DS. Things are pretty good as far as blending the family. The thing is that her mom is not being a very involved parent. She moved in with her BF who has 3 DD's of his own. She works afternoon shift and basically never saw her daughter, who was home with the BF until the mom got home from work. The mom is also a low-functioning alcoholic. So, that arrangement lasted a few weeks before the mom realized that she couldn't take care of their daughter on her own. So, she moved back into the house with her Dad, and she is happy to be back in her school and with her friends.

I have a hard time with her at times. I know she has been through so many changes, and it is a big adjustment to suddenly having a step-brother type person who wants to be with her 24/7 (not to mention me in her life). I just sometimes don't know how to deal with her. I was too nice, at first, and she walked all over me. I am more strict now, and she does better. She is just hard to read, and going through a hard period and I just don't know much about 10 year olds.

I guess I am venting and just looking for some advice or tips.

Thanks, ladies!!!
#2 of 2 Old 07-24-2006, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I met my BF's daughter when she was 10. She lives with her mom except for school breaks and holidays and 7 weeks in the summer. Her dad and I don't live together, but we do spend a significant amout of time together.

When I first starting dating him, and was rather freaked out at the prospect of meeting her (I have no children of my own) , I bought some books - The Courage to Be a Step Mother and Stepmotherhood: how to survive without feeling left out or wicked. I don't know if they helped, they talked about negative stuff a lot which didn't apply to me, but might be helpful for you.

If your son seems to be tagging along after her a lot, make sure to get him before she starts to get annoyed. Sometimes girls that age like to "mother" littler kids.

I think a big part of it is giving her space, but letting her know you are there for her if she needs you and that you will love her no matter what.

As she gets older, it will get harder, just because of the natural moodiness that girls go through. My bf's daughter is 13 now and sometimes it is miserable. But I can go home, so hopefully you have some space of your own in the house to retreat to when things get rough and you just want to be alone. I've found it helpful to try to remember how I was at that age and, again, I got some books (How to talk so your teen will listen, and listen so your teen will talk, and Get out of my life, but first will you drive me and cheryl to the mall?) The How to Talk book is great, and they make a version for How to Talk so your Kids..., you might pick that up, too.

You might try to find a family counselor (especially since she's dealing with her mom's issues, too) who works with blended families.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page