Question about kids feeling left out / Need Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the deal - Saturday dp and I are driving from where we live (Long Island) to North Carolina to pick up his ds. This will be the first time I am meeting his son and his son's mother. His son and my daughter are the same age, 8. My dd is very excited to meet his son. So what's the problem? Dp wants to drive down and back in one day. I think the kids will be crazy in the car that long - at least my dd will be , she is very high-spirited. Dp suggested that we just go by ourselves to pick his son up. I'm afraid this will amke my dd feel left out. Am I right? I could just be overreacting because I'm nervous about all this..What do you think?

Let me just add a little background info...dp and I have been living together for about 8 mos. I have primary custody of my dd. Everything has gone well so far concerning blending families and I don't want to disturb the peace by making "a mountain out of a molehill", if that's the case....

"While Eeyore frets ...and Piglet hesitates...and Rabbit calculates...and Owl pontificates...Pooh just is."
taken from The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

check out my children's room in the library:  Hampton Bays Public Library Children's Room  http://hbaychildroom.blogspot.com/ 

#2 of 3 Old 08-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Is your daughter old enough where you could ask her about it? Is there somewhere for her to stay while you and DP go? A fun sleepover at Nana's might not make her feel left out, but being stuck somewhere else might. It might be all in how you frame it.

Talk to your DP about why he wants to do the trip all in one day. Is it money, does he just want to be back home and settled?

I hope it works out...and good luck.
#3 of 3 Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 PM

I would just ask your dd what she thinks - my oldest is 8 and I could totally ask him what he thought. That drive is very long for one day, so I can imagine it would be hard for her. If DS is staying for a while, then your DD shouldn't be too upset about not being there for the pick-up (especially when you explain that it will be a very long trip, not a "vacation").

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page