Help!!! Need Your Opinion On Letting Go!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-20-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have a five year old son who during the summer became friends with a 6yr old boy in his karate class...i got to know his mom and have gone swimming with them in the summer, have gone to their house a couple of times while the kids played, to lunch at a game place a couple of times...and there was one day that her son wanted to know if zachary could come over and play...i had some errands to run so i let him go there for a couple of hours..i had been to her house once before..my husband did not like this at all..he has not got to know them other than saying a few words at one time at the karate school..he works alot and is unable to attend the karate classes..he does not really have an interest in meeting them to become inseperable friends, but i have insisted it would be good to at least go to dinner or something like that and he feels he is uncomfortable in such a planned situation other than something more natural in meeting someone if you know what i mean...basically it has become another mom with 2 son's that are friends which means we can get together and have something in common and most likely become friends too...let me get to the point...i just need to know some opinions on how others feel about letting their 5yr old go over to a friends house or go with the other parent and child somewhere (movie, game place,etc) without you being present...my husband says "no" and i feel sort of comfortable in some situations and not in others...but what is others take on it when you have not known someone for more than a few months, although they seem like ok people, but leaving your child with them??? just would love alot of opinions as this is frustrating because i do not want to shelter him from his childhood and having friends, but we are having a hard time letting him go off alone without me being there...please...any advice would be most appreciated....bahamamom:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-20-2006, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use our gut. Since DH works so much and isn't around to meet others, he trusts my opinion on whom our kiddos spend time with, both our biodaughter and my DSDs. A few months ago, our next door neighbor stopped by and asked if our girls (6 and 4) could go to the park with her and her son and niece. I said yes, and DH was just surprised when he got home and the girls weren't there. He was slightly concerned at first, but thought about it a second and realized I would never put our kids in danger.

Also, even though he's never met any of my mom friends, he's totally willing to ask one of them to babysit should we ever get to go on a date again.

We just try and go with what feels right in the situation. Hope that helped at least a little!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page