Mothering Forum banner

In Court Constantly for Child Support

2K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  flapjack 
#1 ·
I am looking for some good advice!!!
My ex and I have been divorced for 6yrs. We have 3 children together, he sees 2 of them. He has gotten remarried to a woman with 3 children, and I now have a partner. He has the kids every other weekend and every other week in the summer.
He takes me to court almost every month for the past 3 years to get his support lowered or suspended. It has gotten to the point where the court does not want to see us. I have taken a lawyer with everytime and now she says there is nothing more we can do.
He is suppose to pay less then $100/month, he refuses to pay medical bills, got the court to take his paying medical insurance away. He also quit working so he had a lower income to show. I did get a work seek order hoping that would make him get a job, but of course the court will not enforce it. Because he quit his job he now gets food stamps, housing and free insurance that he puts our kids on for the summer.
I thank god do not need his money, but still fight it because I think it is legally unfair that he does not have to put forth any income to support our children. My partner and I basically pay for everything! He lets his support go into rears so it will just get taken out in his taxes.
I just do not know what I can do legally anymore. I mean he is a dead beat dad, but no one cares!!!!

Any advice would be great, I am up for anything.
:

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyMine
I am a sahm and it sucks being a sahp with prior kids to support. But I can't have too much sympathy for your plight. I would say he is voluntarily unemployed and we knew in our house that it wasn't an option for dh to be the sahp since he had a prior cs obligation to fulfill.

We were though very impoverished for a long time due to cs- but that was our choice. We knew about it when we had kids.

Further I am not familiar with many states that REDUCE cs for future children- rather they slow the rate of increase for future kids.
Dh's potential income would NEVER support the 3 of us. With or without the support arrangement.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganW
Dh's potential income would NEVER support the 3 of us. With or without the support arrangement.
I am sorry but not everyone can afford to have a sahp. Men who choose to stay home but have prior kids they are obligated to support must have wives (or someone) who are willing to cover the nut for them. Just like the cc company who won't waive my bills because I stay home-my dh has to cover that too.

Life isn't fair and we don't all get to do what we want. Sorry your life isn't turning out like you wish it would.

#29 ·
I can understand both views. D-ex should help to support his children period. And yes I do believe that he could be doing this just to cause conflict with you. But is it really worth the aggravation. Remember you shorten your life when you allow stress to run it.
I would suggest taking a different avenue. Start with writing to your Senator. Find a group that is trying to fight for what you believe in. You may be out of luck with your case, but you might be able to help with someone else's. Help to change the laws in you state.

#30 ·
I have thought a lot about what you all have said... And while I was doing that I received a wonderful phone call !!! Also he decided to pay a small amount of support! (strange, but I'll take it)

I found out the state is taking him to court for a different reason. Of course this isnt related to my situation, but if they find him to be a liar, it will only help my case!

You were all right! I do need to just sit back, let life takes its course and karma will get him!

So I will wait on court, and just keep sending him the bills he is legally responsible for...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.