bio dad vs. step dad - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 34 Old 10-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
As I understand it, if a parent isn't paying, but does occasionally send a card, that is contact and the rights won't be termintated.
This is correct for my state. Also, if a parent has no contact with the child but does send the occasional child support, say once every 5 months or so or has their wages garnished (even if it's against their will) that counts as contact and rights won't be terminated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

no no no she is well now 7 MONTHS old. lol. and MILF was just a joke my boyfriend calls me. i didnt mean anything other than that. i didnt think CS and visits were linked. but i just want to know if there is a way to have my BF adopt my daughter between the time our DHS CINA case and district court. that way sence her bio dad will have no custody at all....i might be able to just have her adopted by my BF with no problem. or do i HAVE to get all his rights taken away first?:
#33 of 34 Old 10-19-2006, 05:50 AM

For the mamas facing "oh, we'll take your rights away" I'd suggest you start getting the US to recognise the UN convention on the rights of the child. It lays down, VERY clearly, the fact that a child has a right to know both parents. No restrictions. It's also the best safeguard against DFS.

Rockstarsmama, an adoption will be at best problematic, at worst difficult. TBH, I wouldn't ever consider giving someone who had known me for such a short time any kind of rights over my kids- my dh got parental responsibility solely because of a health issue with ds2. If you're looking for advice, this is it. Just don't go there.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#34 of 34 Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
WNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
If he is not physically hurting your daughter, or breaking any laws while he is with her, or severly hurting her emotionally, he needs to see her. She needs to decide for herself what he is or isn't. Your job is to support her emotionally and help her come to accept him for what he is or isn't. Every kids wants to know their bioparent even if they are loser, or abusive. You are lucky it's just once a week. And, you never know what might happen. My dh was hidden from his father as a child, and now that "loser" is a pretty nice, stable guy with a family, etc, and dh has NO relationship with him. Sure, we see him, but they have no real bond. Dh's mom regrets that.
edit: just noticed the missing word in orig post - months seems mopre plausible than years so removing my orig response.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page