Health Insurance - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Please be careful with this. Be sure that Medicaid knows that the child has insurance. In general, the state will not pay if there is a parent who can afford to do so. It is fraud. Dss's biomom applied for some benefits in his name and dh was billed by the state, and she was investigated for welfare fraud. Dss's mom has state insurance and we'd love him to have free insurance, but he doesn't qualify based on our income.

Do your papers say 444 a month plus insurance, or 1044 a month including insurance (which is what I believe is most common)?

If it is 444 a month plus insurance, why not look for cheaper insurance?

It is 444 without insurance but he was having to pay 25 a month because he had not gotten insurance on the child yet. So child support should only be 419. But he also has to pay 25 a month for back child support when the DD was first born. He will probably keep insurance just to save his self in the long run. Insurance is 600 all together but only 300 and some odd dollars for the children to be on it. (Forgot to put that in an earlier post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstylist View Post
It is 444 without insurance but he was having to pay 25 a month because he had not gotten insurance on the child yet. So child support should only be 419. But he also has to pay 25 a month for back child support when the DD was first born. He will probably keep insurance just to save his self in the long run. Insurance is 600 all together but only 300 and some odd dollars for the children to be on it. (Forgot to put that in an earlier post)
That sounds pretty reasonable, then. I thought you meant it was 600 just for her. I thought I had the most expensive insurance in the world and it is 300 per person.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:22 PM

It is $394 a month for support, $25 a month for arrears, $25 a month to go to the state for medicaid. It is NOT required to have insurance in the support agreement. Insurance was never required or ordered. Insurance was chosen just to be on the safe side. Insurance is $634 a month which includes momma, daddy, 2 kids for medical,dental and life on all but momma. It's roughly $350 for the children alone, whether it is one child or 5 kids.
What hairstylist seems to be asking is that support papers say each parent is 50/50 responsible for any medical bills, shouldn't she also be responsible for 50% of insurance? Why not? The father can't afford it any more than biomom can. Whereas biomom refuses to work anyway, would rather live with mommy,medicaid,wic,child support,foodstamps,federal grants.

As far as billing medicaid first, that's what was told by several doctors to myself. That it is against the law for them to not bill medicaid. Biomom has insurance card, so if she refuses to use it and uses medicaid, are you saying it is daddy's fault and to be careful?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Daddy has a job, right? And the mom doesn't so how can dad not afford it as much as mom can't afford it? It is expensive, sure. Have you looked for insurance other than what is available through your work? I called up Blue Cross directly and got a much cheaper plan than available through my work (less than 1/2 the price). Can the child be on Medicaid with Medicaid having the full knowledge of th father's income? Will they let the child be on Medicaid just because it is expensive to have private insurance?

Your support order is strange. Generally they require the non-custodial parent to carry insurance on the child (which I agree is strange since no one requires kids whose parents are married to have insurance on their children). They then say that all expenses not covered by insurance are split 50/50. Your support order doesn't say this? Did you create your own support order? In general, the state doesn't want to pay where there is a parent who should.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:18 PM

I'm confused.

Confuseddaddy is kinda sounding like he's an involved party (hairstylists dh?)

If $350 is charged for the kids, regardless of 1 or 2... well, wouldn't you be paying $350 a month for maddox, and dsd essentially be free?

So... why are you complaining? Would you not have insurance on your own kid?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Usually, how HMO thru employer health coverage works is this:

Single: $X amount
Employee plus spouse: $Y amount (usually X plus 25-50%)
Family: $Z amount (usually roughly double of X)

So for family coverage, if you want to get the "most bang for your buck", you are better off having a bunch of kids, because you'll pay the same for 11 kids as you will for one.

Many (most?) people do not understand this. I, myself, am unsure why it works like this. So if hairstylist and her dh have a child together, they are paying the family rate. It makes sense to sign up DSD, too, because chances are they aren't paying any more.

Having said that, it seems like hairstylist's DH shouldn't have to pay any out of pocket costs regarding his daughter's health care if she is insured thru him and has Medicaid. If there are any left over, uncovered health expenses, it seems to me only fair that the parents split them 50-50. (Not that I'm a family court judge or anything. : )

And yes, I agree wholeheartedly with the pp who said that it's silly to mandate in a custody agreement that a parent provide their child with health insurance, since this is not done when parents are married/living together. Seems like discrimination to me.

Thank God DH has good relationship with DSS's mom, and we've never gone to court.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post

And yes, I agree wholeheartedly with the pp who said that it's silly to mandate in a custody agreement that a parent provide their child with health insurance, since this is not done when parents are married/living together. Seems like discrimination to me.
mandated coverage is often so the state does not get stuck paying for kiddos whose NCP leaves and does nothing. It is a way for the government to get back some of the money they put in to raising the children.

There are times, when I wish we could drop my former spouse's insurance. It sucks, even though he is in local government... his inurance is SOOO slow to pay, we often have to pay and get reimbursed if we do not want things showing up on our credit. BUT the divorce says I have to use his first. And usually in the case of private insurance, who ever has the first birthday of the year is the primary coverage. My former spouses birthday is in May, my husbands is in August, mine is in Sept. So by private insurance rules.. My former spouses is primary, my husband's secondary and mine is third.

Secondary and Third (or whatever number following) will NOT pay a dime until the primary has paid.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
mandated coverage is often so the state does not get stuck paying for kiddos whose NCP leaves and does nothing. It is a way for the government to get back some of the money they put in to raising the children.

Oh, I understand the thinking behind mandating a non-custodial parent to provide health insurance. I just disagree with it. I think we should have single payer health care, period.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we've had health insurance issues in the past with ex as well. It wasn't really address in the decree, basically each parent pays 50%. I'm thinking the dc has medicaid at the time, but one would have thought the lawyer could have thought ahead:
ex was getting family coverage for her other 2 dc from her husband's military insurance so adding the 2 children in question wouldn't have cost extra, but was trying to get my Dh to pay 50% of the total bill, not 50% after insurance. ex already had a family plan, they're a family of 6, 2dc are Dh's. Dh's previous work offered such an awful plan that our dd and I went out and got independent insurance.
To stop ex from trying to get us to pay 50% of the bill before insurance, we added the 2dsd when Dh got a job with better insurance. ex hasn't said a thing about insurance since then, but she never uses ours. I can't blame her. As a family of 3 that actually use the insurance, we never met our deductible.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-02-2007, 06:00 PM

yeah, we've had issues also.

SD#5 has been living with her maternal gradmother for about 4 years.
DH is providing the health insurnace. For the first couple years of this, DH had the main job (I worked part time) and so he had the insurance through his job. Then he was laid off and IMMDIENTLY grandma started griping about doing without (excuse me, but all the other kids are doing with less also now, why should any of the kids get treated different!) so I (YES, ME) went back to work full time. I am the one who has the insurance through my job now. Out of the kindness of my heart, I put her on my insurnace. I didn't have to. I did it because I don't think she should do without if the other kids got it. It's only fair. There are now 4 kids on this policy.

Do you think grandma is satisfied with that? HELL NO!! SHE COULDN'T BRING SD TO THE CLINIC *SHE* WANTED TO! EXCUSE ME! All the other kids on this policy have had to change clinics/doctors 3 times in the last five years because of all the insurance changes. Your lucky I was able to get her on my insurance!! (I had to fib to my HR a little) So then she took SD out of network and tried to bill us for the entire thing. Luckily the judge saw throught that one and ruled on our favor. So come this past Oct, she petitioned to have DH and biomom sign over complete custody to her so she could get SD on her insurance (amongst other reasons). Fine, if that's the way you want it. Well, at that same time, I found out my work was switching insurance companys and we would be going back the one DH had before he was laid off. Wasn't good enough for her. So I said fine, I am going to do all the annual paper work within the next couple weeks and I will drop SD from my policy effective for Dec 31, 2006. It's only a couple of more months. Certainly you can live with it until then. Appretnly not, since she started calling MY HR dept and harrassing them about dropping SD. Luckily my Hr dept is really good and straight out told her she should not be calling there and they can't say anything to her or take her orders.

DH DS 1996 DS 2000 We are the Mods! We are the Mods! We are, we are, we are the Mods!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM

So before you had a kid you paid $25 for medicaid for step daughter.

But now that you have another kid you pay $300+ a month for your baby and have added step daughter to it FOR FREE (because you didn't do it before just for her), and you want biomom to pay for half the insurance that you would have anyway for the baby?

I don't think you should have to pay for medicaid anymore, but if my ex had a new baby and changed the health insurance we had set up, I wouldn't pay for his new families health insurance.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
So before you had a kid you paid $25 for medicaid for step daughter.

But now that you have another kid you pay $300+ a month for your baby and have added step daughter to it FOR FREE (because you didn't do it before just for her), and you want biomom to pay for half the insurance that you would have anyway for the baby?

I don't think you should have to pay for medicaid anymore, but if my ex had a new baby and changed the health insurance we had set up, I wouldn't pay for his new families health insurance.
No they only reason he was paying 25 a month was because he was having to pay the government back. He had to get insurance on the dsd. Now that he has it, he does not have to pay that 25 dollars. So yeah, she should have to help us out with the insurance. It is her child just as much as it is his. And her medical insurance is NOT FREE! The health insurance has not been changed. We just got it in December. Please go read all the other posts before you try attacking anyone.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuseddaddy View Post
Insurance is $634 a month which includes momma, daddy, 2 kids for medical,dental and life on all but momma. It's roughly $350 for the children alone, whether it is one child or 5 kids.

This is where it is free... You have to pay 350 for one child or 5 children. IT DOES NOT COST YOU ANYTHING EXTRA.

No one is attacking you, they are just trying to understand why you are upset.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:14 PM

No. In Texas, the obligor ...in this case hairstylist's DH... is required to pay 20% of his after tax income for one child AND provide health insurance. Period, end of story. That is what the Family Code says and no judge in this state is going to stray from that unless there are VERY extraordinary circumstances.
Hairstylist, I'm sorry that you think it isn't fair. But that is what the law says in Texas, and that's the state that has jurisdiction over your DH and his child. There really isn't anyway around it.
And yes, if medicaid is paying first when there is private coverage, or, Medicaid is paying when you DH has access to private coverage, then it is fraud and your DH could be made to pay medicaid back for everything that they have paid. Please, tred carefully.
And please clarify... is your Health insurance such, like most, that it is the same amount of $ per month for one child or ten?
Old 01-03-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairstylist View Post
So yeah, she should have to help us out with the insurance. It is her child just as much as it is his.
If my ex ever tried to use that line on me, I'd remind him that I'm the one who prepares their food, does their laundry, takes them clothes/shoe shopping, gets their hair cut, makes and takes them to all their doctor/dentist/orthodontist appointments, transports them to sleepovers and their friends houses in general, HOSTS sleepovers and playdates, plans and hosts their birthday parties, etc.

They're his children as much as they are mine. He should have to help me out, right?

Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
If my ex ever tried to use that line on me, I'd remind him that I'm the one who prepares their food, does their laundry, takes them clothes/shoe shopping, gets their hair cut, makes and takes them to all their doctor/dentist/orthodontist appointments, transports them to sleepovers and their friends houses in general, HOSTS sleepovers and playdates, plans and hosts their birthday parties, etc.

They're his children as much as they are mine. He should have to help me out, right?

I love that. Absolutely love that!!!

I think it applies to current spouses too. My dh (jokingly) commented that it was going to be awfully expensive to fly the non-working wife and 2 kids to my brothers wedding later this year... I think that list above... the jobs of a mom... is worth far more than any c.s. or income that is "shared" w/ me.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:

:
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 PM

ok, so for about $350, hairstylist's dh has 2 children in his health insurance.

$350 divided by 2 kids = $175

$175 split evenly between 2 bio parents is $87.50.

now if NC parent is made to pay for half of all other medical expenses not covered by the primary insurance, the custodial parent should be chipping in for half of the premium.

Now in my situation, (on my insurance) two my kids, two not mine on the insurance, the custodial parent would get off cheaper because there are more kids total and only one is theirs.

$350 divided by 4 kids = $87.50
$87.00 slipt evenly between ALL BIO parents involved would be 43.75.

Pretty cheap for the custodial parent if you ask me.

Sure, we're happy to pitch in the fair amount for copays and such, if you chip in fairly for the premium.

DH DS 1996 DS 2000 We are the Mods! We are the Mods! We are, we are, we are the Mods!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *caitlinsmom* View Post
No. In Texas, the obligor ...in this case hairstylist's DH... is required to pay 20% of his after tax income for one child AND provide health insurance. Period, end of story. That is what the Family Code says and no judge in this state is going to stray from that unless there are VERY extraordinary circumstances.
Hairstylist, I'm sorry that you think it isn't fair. But that is what the law says in Texas, and that's the state that has jurisdiction over your DH and his child. There really isn't anyway around it.
And yes, if medicaid is paying first when there is private coverage, or, Medicaid is paying when you DH has access to private coverage, then it is fraud and your DH could be made to pay medicaid back for everything that they have paid. Please, tred carefully.
And please clarify... is your Health insurance such, like most, that it is the same amount of $ per month for one child or ten?
Is this true even if they wrote their own support agreement? Do all families automatically have this situation, or could both parties agree that they will split insurance 50/50?

At the beginning here, I assumed that Hairstylist was just not understanding the papers. Every support agreement I've seen says non-custodial parent pays X amount, gets insurance and both parties split non-covered expenses. However, if Confuseddaddy is the father here, he seemed to say that there was no mention of insurance in their agreement, just that all parties pay 50% of medical. In which case, didn't the biomom agree to pay for half of the medical expenses (including insurance) when she signed it?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I know several have joked that what the ex pays in cs isn't worth all the above, but believe me doing the above and all the rest of the little day to day stuff is what makes a relationship. Dh and I would do anything to get more time with his dd to do stuff just like that. Even with our dd, it's the little things, like driving dd to school, when we have our best times - the deep conversations, the creation of the crazy "remember when" time. Worth way more than cs and something that doesn't often happen with "visits".

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Is this true even if they wrote their own support agreement? Do all families automatically have this situation, or could both parties agree that they will split insurance 50/50?
Possible I suppose but highly unlikely. Also, keep in mind that even if they wrote their own support agreement, in order for it to be legally binding, it would have to be signed by a judge, and, as I said before, based on my experience in this area, no judge in this state would circumvent the law just because parties are in agreement to do so. Keep in mind that the family code guidlines are a minimum, so a judge will agree to sign an agreement that calls for MORE support than what the family code requires, but not less.

Texas law is well settled in this area. I am sorry that Hairstylist thinks otherwise, but the bio mom has no obligation under the law to pay for the health insurance or any part of it. the DH is required to pay it.

User Tag List