Why do people read and not respond.....genuine question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually click because I learn so much from many of the situations and responses.

I usually don't respond because I don't have anything helpful to add.
#32 of 42 Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 AM

sometimes the situation is more complicated than I know how to respond to
#33 of 42 Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Sometimes I see a thread from the "new posts" area with an interesting title and not realize what subforum it is from. When I see it, if I don't feel like I belong I won't post. Like right now - I saw this heading in new posts and clicked to come answer the question, but now I see it's in Blended/StepFamily parenting and I don't know if I should be answering or not...

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#34 of 42 Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 PM

I read far more than I ever respond to....sometimes I cannot relate, sometimes what I was going to say was already covered my another mama...sometimes I am curious about something someone is going thru that I have not yet and wish to read the advice and feelings of others just in case...
#35 of 42 Old 06-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Much of the time I gravitate to the title of a thread because it is of equal concern to me. I read it to gather the advice that others have given the OP.
#36 of 42 Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 PM

well....there are times when I just don't have a lot to add; or I'm nak and typing a response can be difficult, esp if said nursling is on the right side (I can do well when she's on the left )

There are a variety of reasons, none malevolent.
#37 of 42 Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyangel80 View Post
I posted two threads last night, and while they have each had a share of views, they haven't really been answered in comparison?

So I'm wondering why? Not being sarcastic. Is it that the viewers of the thread just can't relate to the topic?

I suppose I'm now concerned that most people who read here might just be snooping, which I know goes on ALOT when custody situations are happening.

In my particular situation, it doesn't make a difference. I'm not saying anything here that I wouldn't want to be read in a court of law, but is that why I'm getting no responses? Because people are afraid?

Hoping someone replies to this.....
Well, for me, it sometimes depends on the type of thread. If I care a lot or I feel I have something to add that others haven't said, I'll usually reply. If not, I won't. There are some I look at sometimes, but almost never reply to, including the following:

Name threads = I no longer reply to these, after finding out that the phrase "give me your honest opinion" means, "Please make me feel better about my dreadfully mockworthy name choices."

"I got harassed for BFing in public threads" - I usually don't reply because basically, it's all the same thread only with different names and locations.

I also won't respond to posts that are SO ill-written, ill-punctuated, ill-capitalized, and il-literate that it's a struggle to determine their basic meaning.

Does that help??
#38 of 42 Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM

There are sometimes I read something and the way I would want to respond would seem like flaming the person so I elect not to say anything. Other times I just dont have anything to add.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#39 of 42 Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Just to come back and respond to this thread one more time since it's still getting responses........go figure?

I do have a general concept of why people don't answer every thread they come across. It just seems odd that a thread would get no answers whatsoever. Also, I see alot of threads that only get one or two responses in this particular forum.

Again, I feel the pain of poorly punctuated and ill-written post that fail to maintain clarity, but at the same time this is such an important forum b/c the issues of blended familys are so numerous and they really take a toll on families that are facing them. I think it would be fabulous if more people here tried to jump in more and help a OP out, yk?

There are only two other message boards I use. One is related to my profession and the other is related to babywearing. I suppose their are probably alot of message boards out there for these types of issues, but I doubt that any of them would hold to the same tone and parenting style as most members of MDC do.
#40 of 42 Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM

I often read if the topic catches my eye, but often times, I don't feel I have anything to say that hasn't already been said, or I have no opinion at all.

Jen
#41 of 42 Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Quite often I view a thread that seems interesting but I have no real opinion or helpful advice to offer. Sometimes I would be repeating something previous posters have said, so I don't bother to add it. Sometimes I read about things I don't have useful experience in but want to know more about.
For some reason, thread titles in this forum in particular tend to catch my eye but I would rarely if ever presume to post in here because I have never had any experience with blended families. And I followed a few threads about skids because the titles seemed so bizarre, til it stuck in my head that skids was step-kids and not the marks left in underpants :
I often read in Queer Parenting because I feel a kinship with them, but not living a gay life, I don't feel I have right to post there.
Also if it is a sympathy post and there are a string of hugs already I often don't bother to add one, unless I feel some sort of particular empathy with the OP or consider her an on-line friend.
I have noticed that there are generally about 20-50 views for every post in this place often more. On some much smaller, more intimate boards I go to, I make more effort to respond to posts even where I have no directly useful input because I consider all the members friends, but here with 50K members, there is no real feeling of community.

nothing more to say I guess :
#42 of 42 Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Oh and of course, if it's a drama thread....

nothing more to say I guess :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page