Mother as "bm" or "birth/bio" mother, or, Why I don't come to this forum - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
 
boobybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post


The fact remains that I do have feelings. Most of you here might be great step parents, and want nothing but peace between everyone. But some of us have the opposite problem. Some of us find that the step parents are cruel, insulting, dismissive, and disrespectful about us and our roles in our childrens lives.

And in my case, her step mother may very well be around her more than I am... but its not because I refuse to be a parent, and that doesn't give her the right to take my role or my title away from me. Using the term Biological Mother implies that the mother is no longer in the picture or that they have a limited role in their life. When saying Biological Father, you might as well say sperm donor.. because that is what everyone else hears.

It does seem picky, tearing about acronyms and word usage.. but its really just a respect thing. We want to feel respected just as much as you step mothers do.

RESPECT... The main reason I RARELY post here in blended, even though I am a former step mom, have three of from me and my children have a NCP and my husband and myself.
Because the blended family forum is mostly used by women who have married or involved with a partner that had children before their relationship started, it is not friendly to the original parents. We are often called horrible names because we want our children supported.

AND FOR THE RECORD....MY CHILDREN ARE NOT YOUR SKIDS. They are beautiful children that YOU have the honor of being in their lives.. NOT SOME DIRTY GOD DAMNED MARK ON A PAIR OF UNDERWEAR.
boobybunny is offline  
#122 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 01:58 AM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
boobybunny, you seem quite upset by all of this and seem to be taking it very personally. If a stepmom here has an issue with the mother of her stepkids, I'm not really sure why YOU would personalize any comments made about that person. Really.... it's not about you. I have a long history with my stepson's mother and if I have ever written anything about her her, I assure you, my frustrations with her have nothing to do with you and your family. Really. I swear.

You know it's interesting... people on mdc constantly vent about mainstream parents and bad parents and we are often encouraged to "judge when necessary", but in this forum, because a stepmom has an issue with the mother of her stepkids, the moms who have kids with a stepmom take it as a slight to them personally. I really don't understand why anyone would take comments made about a very particular, personal family issue as an insult to them.

And honestly, do you all really think that when a stepmom writes "bm" or "skids" in an internet post that they are taking satisfaction from the close association to a bodily function or a mark on underwear? You really think that that's the intention behind that? I mean.... really? I dunno... I guess I'm just more in the mindset of giving people the benefit of the doubt and not assuming they are inherently evil. Oh but wait... we are the evil stepmoms, right? Hmmmm... looks like insults travel both ways.

I've been going back and forth on this issue for the past couple of days. On one hand, I don't want anyone to feel insulted. But on the other hand, I don't understand how internet short hand can make someone feel so insulted. Maybe I have a thicker skin than most. I don't know. This whole thread has left me really frustrated and confused as to why so many people are taking it all so personally. That is not to say I am not open to a different term. I am. But I have to wonder why so many here, more so than in other forums, are personalizing everything to such a degree.
mamameg is offline  
#123 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 AM
 
boobybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I have personalized it so much be cause the woman that married my former spouse has called our children skids.. to their face, while introducing them to members of her church group.

I am so very upset about this is if you are going to use Internet shorthand with your typing... what is your internal dialog? At what point does your writing shorthand become your actual spoken words? I hate when someone tries to speak or type in LOL or 1 4 C B4 U. The contraction of words to a couple of letters or even one is going to eventually cost us the written word.
boobybunny is offline  
#124 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 07:57 AM
 
mtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
That is just horrible, how your children's Stepmother and Father treated your children, but it's not always like that. Many Stepmothers are good to their children. Just because there's a "Step" or a "Bio" (or a "Foster" or an "Adopted") prefix before "Parent" doesn't mean that they are either a good or a bad or even a mediocre parent. Anyone can be a bad parent. Anyone can be a good parent. Some children are lucky enough to have three or four good parents, some children only have one. Same goes for having bad parents.
I know it's not always like that. Which is why I try to make a point of not lumping everyone into the same kettle of fish. And I think we all have a lot we could learn from each other. But that requires each "side" to at least make an effort to respect the other. So if a particular term or acronym offends one "side", it would seem the respectful thing to do would be to try and find an alternative. IMO.
mtiger is offline  
#125 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM
 
cycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this thread is kind of beaten to death and I haven't read everything but I wanted to weigh in because I am a bit astonished why there are some people who don't see why it could be offensive to some. ITA that BM, BioMom and whatever words are used other than MOM to describe your stepchildren's mother is offensive. They have one Mother (and one Father), so why the clarification?

I know if you are talking about your dsc that you are the Step-parent, I know if you say "their mom" you mean their MOM.

There are Moms & Step-Moms, where's the confusion? They are not two of the same that need designation, like a red car and a green car. One is a person who married a child's parent, and hopefully will have a loving relationship with their partner's children, and one of them either gave birth to the child and/or helped create them...Huge difference.

In this forum there are many times where it (BM) is meant and used by Step-moms negatively, which makes the term more offensive.

I grew up with a Step-Mom and a Step-Dad, my step-mom was pretty mean, but she always called my mom "My Mom". There was never any confusion, never any situation where I needed to specify that this is my Bio Mom or Dad, its just stupid. I really hope the Bio label isn't making into real life with anyone...

It was actually confusing to me at first, because the only time I have ever seen Bio or Birth Mom is in the context of adoption.

BTW, this thread is not directed at any one person.
cycle is offline  
#126 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 11:40 AM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle View Post
I really hope the Bio label isn't making into real life with anyone...
I think it's been made pretty clear that no one says that in real life. And FWIW, the term biomom has been used on EVERY blended family forum I've ever seen online. It's not like it originated here.
mamameg is offline  
#127 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
Maybe I have personalized it so much be cause the woman that married my former spouse has called our children skids.. to their face, while introducing them to members of her church group.

I am so very upset about this is if you are going to use Internet shorthand with your typing... what is your internal dialog? At what point does your writing shorthand become your actual spoken words? I hate when someone tries to speak or type in LOL or 1 4 C B4 U. The contraction of words to a couple of letters or even one is going to eventually cost us the written word.
I'm so very sad to hear that your children's stepmom has treated them that way. That is APPALLING and unacceptable. I guess that's why I have a hard time understanding this - because I would never in a million years even consider using a term like that in real life. Internet shorthand is reserved for the internet only.

And I suppose I understand what you are saying about killing the written word with internet shorthand, but isn't that another issue entirely? This is the first I've seen that concern mentioned and it doesn't really seem to be what most people are saying. I don't see a big movement away from ALL internet shorthand (not in this thread anyway), just bm and skids.

Which, by the way, are not terms I use here. I am just having a hard time understanding why they are so bothersome to people. But when someone has the experiences that boobybunny has had with their kids stepmom, it becomes a little more clear.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of their feelings. I am really, truly just not fully understanding, and I'm trying to change that by discussing it.
mamameg is offline  
#128 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I think it's been made pretty clear that no one says that in real life. And FWIW, the term biomom has been used on EVERY blended family forum I've ever seen online. It's not like it originated here.
Well, what about my situation then? I know my daughters step mother is not on this forum.. but she most certainly does call me the biological mother when she has to refer to me.(if she calls me mom in any way at all) So I wouldn't say that no one says it in real life. They clearly do. You might not, but some do.

And another question.... are most blended forums made up primarily of step parents? Because thats the big feeling I've always gotten here. I have felt out of place because a large portion of the posters are step parents that are venting their frustrations about the childs mother more often than not. Yet thats not bashing thats venting. So where can I vent about my daughters step mother? I thought the blended forum would be the place but.. thats seen as bashing apparently. :

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#129 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 PM
 
Molliejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought all the bashing of stepmoms was done in Single Parenting. :

I've never noticed it in this forum.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Molliejo is offline  
#130 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM
 
kblackstone444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
I have to add, I think that we are getting confused by talking about two separate issues:

1. Is BM offensive?

and

2. Is biomom offensive?
Nobody's answered that yet. I'd like to know as well. I don't think I've EVER used the term BM when refering to my stepdaughter's Mother, but I have used BioMom or Biological Mother in reference to my stepdaughter's Mother because, that's what she is, her BioMom, her Biological Mother. Just like I call myself her Stepmom, because that's what I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I am a mother who's ex has residential. According to paperwork we have 50/50 however she goes to school there, so she's with him all week. He remarried, and they immediatly started trying to get my daughter to call me by my first name. They made her call his new wife "Mommy." Every year they take my information off contact lists with the school, gymnastics, camp, etc. And every year I have to go and write it back in. He even puts his wifes name on the: Biological Mother line. And leaves the Step Parent line for me. They don't tell me if she's very sick, or goes to the hospital. They don't let me know important things going on. In short, they try to pretend I don't exist and leave me out of the loop as much as possible. Erase me from her life.

And lets not get confused here.. I am an active participant. I fought in court for her for 2 years. He won custody on lies and more money than I had. He took my little girl that was only 4 years old at the time and ripped her away from me. Found a new woman and had an insta family.

She still calls her Mommy, and calls me Mom. When they speak about me, they don't refer to me as her mother at all. They use my first name to her.

So yes, I may have personal feelings as to why I agree with the OP. The fact remains that I do have feelings. Most of you here might be great step parents, and want nothing but peace between everyone. But some of us have the opposite problem. Some of us find that the step parents are cruel, insulting, dismissive, and disrespectful about us and our roles in our childrens lives.

And in my case, her step mother may very well be around her more than I am... but its not because I refuse to be a parent, and that doesn't give her the right to take my role or my title away from me. Using the term Biological Mother implies that the mother is no longer in the picture or that they have a limited role in their life. When saying Biological Father, you might as well say sperm donor.. because that is what everyone else hears.
I can see why you're upset and might think that everyone feels that you don't matter, but your daughter's Stepmother and your ExHusband ever moreso are WRONG. I'm sorry it worked out that way for you and your daughter. There's no excuse for that and I honestly could not IMAGINE doing that to my stepdaughter and her Mother. It's just that, the way I always figured it was, the more parents that love a child, the more parents involved in a child's life, the more cared for and loved a child will feel. There is no excuse for cutting out any parent unless they're life or health is seriously in danger. If a Stepmother really cared about her stepdaughter, she would not be doing what she does to her stepdaughter, like your daughter's does. She sounds like a control freak and it makes me sad- for you and your daughter and for all the "good" Stepmothers out there who have to be lumped in with people like that. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
Maybe I have personalized it so much be cause the woman that married my former spouse has called our children skids.. to their face, while introducing them to members of her church group.
These stories are depressing. It makes me embarrassed to be a Stepmother, even though I try my darnest to make sure everyone in my stepdaughter's family gets treated with due respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
I am so very upset about this is if you are going to use Internet shorthand with your typing... what is your internal dialog? At what point does your writing shorthand become your actual spoken words? I hate when someone tries to speak or type in LOL or 1 4 C B4 U. The contraction of words to a couple of letters or even one is going to eventually cost us the written word.
Huh? The only time I hear Internet Shorthand spoken is on those comercials with the preteen daughter talking to her Mother and her Mother not understanding a thing she's saying. I was surprised someone actually used the term skids in real life, but do people actually use Internet Shorthand in real life now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
I know it's not always like that. Which is why I try to make a point of not lumping everyone into the same kettle of fish. And I think we all have a lot we could learn from each other. But that requires each "side" to at least make an effort to respect the other. So if a particular term or acronym offends one "side", it would seem the respectful thing to do would be to try and find an alternative. IMO.
Your theory sounds good, but there are some holes in it. Again, I completely understand and agree with the BM= Bowel Movement, but I'm not sure I understand the Biological Mother or BioMom bit. I guess because I've always considered a BioMom or a Biological Mother (same with BioDad and Biological Father) someone that has blood ties to a child, whether or not they're actually raising them. Me, my Hubby, my son, my stepdaughter AND my stepdaughter's Mother use the terms to distinguish between who's who. My stepdaughter's Mother is her Biological Mother and her Daddy is her Biological Dad, also known as Mom and Dad. I am my son's Biological Mother, also known as Mom to him. I am my stepdaughter's Stepmother, also known as Krissy. My son's Biological Father is not in the picture, but we acknowlegde that he has one. My son refers to him as "my Father". My Hubby is my son's Stepfather and my stepdaughter's Biological Father, also known as Daddy to both of them. My children know that they are stepsister and stepbrother. My son knows he has a Stepmother and a younger sister from his Biological Father. He knows that she is technically his half sister. Both my children wish my Hubby and I would have a baby together, something that unfortunately will not be able to happen. They know that if we did, that would be their half sister or half brother. If we had two babies together, the two babies would be full sister and brother, but half sister and brother to both my son and my stepdaughter even though my son and my stepdaughter are technically stepsiblings. They also know that if my stepdaughter's Mother ever remarries, her Husband will be her Stepfather and if they have children together, they will be her half siblings. They think it's funny, all these different names for people. My point is, none of the three adults (Katherine's Mother included) or either of the two children find any of these derogatory (though with the fairy tales, I wouldn't mind being refered to as Katherine's Bonus Mom instead of her Stepmom, but her MOTHER prefers the term, STEPmother so that's what I got stuck with), the terms are just to clarify who's who, is all. It's even harder online sometimes to remember who's a Stepmother, who's a "Real" Mother, etc.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
kblackstone444 is offline  
#131 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM
 
ProtoLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post

And another question.... are most blended forums made up primarily of step parents? Because thats the big feeling I've always gotten here. I have felt out of place because a large portion of the posters are step parents that are venting their frustrations about the childs mother more often than not. Yet thats not bashing thats venting. So where can I vent about my daughters step mother? I thought the blended forum would be the place but.. thats seen as bashing apparently. :
I think everyone can co-exist on a forum like this if each understand:
1. When a stepmom is venting about her stepchild's mom, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
2. When a mother of a child with a stepmother is venting about her child's stepmother, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
3. On the rare occasion that someone does issue a blanket condemnation of moms, stepmoms, biological moms, "real" moms, birth moms, adoptive moms, dads, whatever...call them on it.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
ProtoLawyer is offline  
#132 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM
 
Molliejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
I think everyone can co-exist on a forum like this if each understand:
1. When a stepmom is venting about her stepchild's mom, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
2. When a mother of a child with a stepmother is venting about her child's stepmother, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
3. On the rare occasion that someone does issue a blanket condemnation of moms, stepmoms, biological moms, "real" moms, birth moms, adoptive moms, dads, whatever...call them on it.
I like it.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

Molliejo is offline  
#133 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post


I can see why you're upset and might think that everyone feels that you don't matter, but your daughter's Stepmother and your ExHusband ever moreso are WRONG. I'm sorry it worked out that way for you and your daughter. There's no excuse for that and I honestly could not IMAGINE doing that to my stepdaughter and her Mother. It's just that, the way I always figured it was, the more parents that love a child, the more parents involved in a child's life, the more cared for and loved a child will feel. There is no excuse for cutting out any parent unless they're life or health is seriously in danger. If a Stepmother really cared about her stepdaughter, she would not be doing what she does to her stepdaughter, like your daughter's does. She sounds like a control freak and it makes me sad- for you and your daughter and for all the "good" Stepmothers out there who have to be lumped in with people like that. :



These stories are depressing. It makes me embarrassed to be a Stepmother, even though I try my darnest to make sure everyone in my stepdaughter's family gets treated with due respect.


I'm the same way. I was happy when my ex remarried. And having more people to love my daughter is exactly what I told her about families with more than one father and more than one mother. I just don't feel it back from them. I would love for us all to get along and be civil to each other. I hold no ill will for my ex husband, nor do I hold onto any feelings other than respect that he is the father of our child. It just seems in my situation that there is a lot of anger and hatred towards me, not only by him and his wife, but by their families as well. My daughter has to listen to a lot of badmouthing when she's there.

And just touching upon what you said about half siblings, I do have other children from my current husband and we don't call them half siblings to my oldest. However, my ex and his wife do. They make a point to tell my daughter that they are only HALF related to her, and not "real" siblings. "Real" siblings he told her, will be when he and his wife have children.

Please don't think that I believe all step parents act like this. I know they don't. Sometimes though, hearing "Biological Mother" before everything kinda does hurt. Even when I know the situation isn't mine. Its like a tiny jab against me. I'm willing to say that maybe I'm just extreemly sensitive given my circumstances, and thats alright. I just really wanted to give my input as someone who does look at those titles online and feel a bit slighted sometimes.

I mean no disrepect to anyone here, and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#134 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 01:46 PM
 
cycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I think it's been made pretty clear that no one says that in real life. And FWIW, the term biomom has been used on EVERY blended family forum I've ever seen online. It's not like it originated here.
There are some mommas on here saying that they know of it being used IRL. It doesn't matter where it originated, its still offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
I thought all the bashing of stepmoms was done in Single Parenting. :

I've never noticed it in this forum.
Who's bashing step-moms, here or in Single Parenting? I haven't seen any "bashing" of step-moms in the Singles forum but I have certainly seen bashing by step-moms of the "real" moms in this forum.
cycle is offline  
#135 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 01:51 PM
 
cycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To answer Harleyhalfmoon, BM & Bio or Birth mom is offensive. That there is any designation at all is offensive. As I said in a previous post, children have a MOM and a STEP-MOM, no other clarification is necessary.
cycle is offline  
#136 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
 
flapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: England, easily locatable by Google
Posts: 13,647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabadger View Post
I'm going to come right out and say that this is a slight that the members should probably live with. Yes, some stepmothers take the role of mother full time. So do some grandmothers, aunts and the like. They cannot all be called "mother" just because they are currently filling that role. We are looking for accuracy, I hope, and not just verbal awards.

The name "birth mother" was used in adoption discussions to differentiate between the woman who gave birth and the woman who adopted the child. It was a reasonable distinction, because an adoptive mother is considered to be the child's mother now, period. That is not normally the case with step or extended families.

I am my children's mother. If my DH divorces me and marries another woman, I would be their mother. If he joins a cult and marries six teenaged girls, I would be their mother. Not their bio, birth, ovulatory, genetic, or uterine mother. No prefix is needed on the term mother because it is accurate and sufficient by itself.
:

We're very clear in our house. DH is generally referred to as dad, but he, I, ex and everyone except blinding idiots outside the family who really don't matter get that he is NOT dad: he is the third parent. (FWIW, ex is daddy. My children choose to avoid talking about their fathers new wife when possible, but I believe they call her by her own name.) It is possible to feel love and affection and respect for a child so overwhelming that you feel that your heart would burst without loving them as your own child. It is possible to be driven to distraction and feel bitterly hurt by the rejection and hurtful actions of a child without having loved them as your own child: and THIS is the issue. That if we're actually going to move on and deal with the reality of parenting in the 21st century, where 50% of children entering primary school have parents who are no longer partners, then it's about time that we started reviewing language. Birth mom isn't relevant to stepfamilies, it's a position of respect but limited authority in the world of adoption. Here, we need to find our own words to describe our own reality, bearing in mind the fact that society insists on maintaining barriers between the adult women in the family.

Here's a question for everyone: why is it that so many women on MDC have children by two or more fathers and yet don't post in this forum?????

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
flapjack is offline  
#137 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 02:39 PM
 
~PurityLake~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
I feel horribly uncomfortable here, and I'll tell you why.

Every time I come to this forum, I get so angry, I cannot "hear" what people have to say, over their screaming insulting attitude toward the mothers of their stepchildren.

I see stepmoms calling the mothers of their stepchildren "birth mothers" "bio mothers" : or worse, "bm"s .
I am talking about the moms who are being moms to their children, even if they do not have primary custody. Calling the mother of your stepchildren something other than their mother is beyond insulting.

I am Cora's mother. Just because my DXH gets married, doesn't make me less her mother. His Fiancee is not adopting her, and I am not going to parent any less. But even if we switched for whatever reason, and he had primary physical custody, and I only visitation, I would still be her mother.

She will be Cora's stepmother, and a wonderful one at that. But a stepmother nonetheless.

Also, frankly, I see using these names as a symptom of a larger attitude towards your stepchildren's mothers, and it cannot be good for the family dynamic. Just something to think about.

I totally agree with you.
I am a stepmother (and a stepdaughter).
As far as I recall, I have always referred to my stepson's mother as his mother.
I really hate all the personal abbreviations on this forum. I don't even like the abbreviations: dh, dp, so, dd, ds, dsd, dss, etc. They really bother me. I think they are all ridiculous excuses for not typing, although I can understand the need to abbreviate while nursing at the keyboard and typing one handed.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif
 
 
 
 

~PurityLake~ is offline  
#138 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 02:59 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post

Here's a question for everyone: why is it that so many women on MDC have children by two or more fathers and yet don't post in this forum?????
I first came to this forum because my family is blended. My husband is a step father to my oldest, and my ex husband remarried and my oldest now has a step mother over there as well. Even though I am not the step parent, I still believed this to be the place I should be. (though I have been a step parent in the past)

I honestly do think that most mothers don't post here because they feel this forum is for step mothers mainly. At times I've wondered that myself.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#139 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:06 PM
 
boobybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, the biggest part of the bio, step, bm or skids issues are now that there are voices coming up and saying "hey we find this offensive." There are people who are claiming that since they don't mean for it to be offensive, it is not. And in so doing, refusing to change their language, and laying the blame for feeling offended on the offended.

This makes no sense to me. My daughter talks like donkey from the shrek movies... so much so that her brother started calling her donkey. She told him (and me) that she does not like it, and he stopped calling her that.

If I were consistently saying or writing something that someone finds offensive, and they called me on it, I would do my best to correct my behavior. Not try to find fault in the one being offended, but try to understand why my words would be offensive. But then, I was raised by liberal upstanding atheist parents who expected me to respect others in the world.
boobybunny is offline  
#140 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 PM
 
mamameg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wine Country, CA
Posts: 2,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
If I were consistently saying or writing something that someone finds offensive, and they called me on it, I would do my best to correct my behavior. Not try to find fault in the one being offended, but try to understand why my words would be offensive. But then, I was raised by liberal upstanding atheist parents who expected me to respect others in the world.
This is how you respect others... by insinuating we were raised poorly simply because we don't share your exact perspective on an issue? :

I am trying to understand, but I don't entirely. It's not that a refuse to. I just don't understand. This conversation is helping me begin to understand, because some people are dealing with horrible stepmoms who do things I would never even dream of doing. But I still don't see how my personal experiences are insulting to another. Because this conversation has gone beyond the language of bm or skids (which I don't even use). It's not gone on to state that the fact the stepmoms vent here about their situations are insulting to all mothers and we are making you all feel unwelcome here. I am seriously about to check out of this thread and this forum because it seems that people are trying way to hard to be right and not really trying to give each other the benefit of the doubt that we are all dealing with our own unique challenges and talking about them here is just a means to work through issues without blowing up at the people in our real lives. Whatever. Seriously. I'm out.
mamameg is offline  
#141 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
It's not gone on to state that the fact the stepmoms vent here about their situations are insulting to all mothers and we are making you all feel unwelcome here.
I can only speak for myself, but.. I didn't mean that step moms venting was insulting to me as a mother. I only meant that sometimes it feels like the majority of posters in here are step moms, and because of that.. I don't feel like I can vent about my experiences without offending people in here. It has happened in the past on this board. I've seen a mother basically torn apart for venting about a step mother. That same tearing apart mentality doesn't apply to the step moms because it seems there are more of them here. Thats all I meant to say regarding that.

I apologize if it was my post that upset you. I certainly didn't mean to.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#142 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:49 PM
 
UptownZoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: In the monkey cage...
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Here's a question for everyone: why is it that so many women on MDC have children by two or more fathers and yet don't post in this forum?????
Well, shoot, I dunno why THEY don't, but I do, and I have the most complicated family situation (including children by two fathers) of almost anyone I know!

It's probably like so many other things in life: I go where the current drama in my life is happening, so when my blended family crap is showing up, I'm here, and otherwise just occasionally, trying to give support where I can. I can change my language, though I'm not entirely sure it will help. When people vent, other people often get hurt through no fault of the original vent-er.

computergeek2.gif

UptownZoo is offline  
#143 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:54 PM
 
UptownZoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: In the monkey cage...
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
And another question.... are most blended forums made up primarily of step parents? Because thats the big feeling I've always gotten here. I have felt out of place because a large portion of the posters are step parents that are venting their frustrations about the childs mother more often than not. Yet thats not bashing thats venting. So where can I vent about my daughters step mother? I thought the blended forum would be the place but.. thats seen as bashing apparently. :
I don't think so; I think the majority of moms here are BOTH, or have been in both positions at some point in their lives. Modern family life tends to be somewhat fluid. : That's what makes it so confusing. Parents used to have a lot of kids; now kids have a lot of parents!

I've vented about my situation from both "sides" (hate to use that kind of thinking, but I'm in a hurry) and haven't had a problem. It's true that there have been many more problems in our lives because of SS's mom than because of my kids' SM, but that's just the nature of those particular relationships, not because of the title anyone carries. I certainly wouldn't go around vilifying any category of people. That would be kinda ridiculous, considering that I've been every kind of mother except a MIL (and I'm sure I'll be that w/in the next 20 years, too).

computergeek2.gif

UptownZoo is offline  
#144 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
 
Oriole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: by the ocean, lakes and mountains
Posts: 4,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jumping in again...

*I stopped using bm or biomom. I never meant for it to be offensive, and the first time I read this thread - I changed what I did, because I want to get along, and I don't want anyone to feel unwelcomed here.

*I never used "biomom" in real life.

*Can I get a hug for my efforts?

*Lets keep on venting and keep an open mind.


New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
Oriole is offline  
#145 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Jumping in again...

*I stopped using bm or biomom. I never meant for it to be offensive, and the first time I read this thread - I changed what I did, because I want to get along, and I don't want anyone to feel unwelcomed here.

*I never used "biomom" in real life.

*Can I get a hug for my efforts?

*Lets keep on venting and keep an open mind.



Thank you Oriole

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#146 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
 
blessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My child was adopted and we use the term 'birthmom' and the written abbreviation 'bmom'.

I think when someone is involved in actively parenting the child - as in a shared or partial custody situation - that person reserves the term 'mother' or 'father'. When the person has no real role in the child's life, then I can see how the child might want to reserve those terms for the people who are parenting him or her and refer to their birthparent in a more abstracted way, like with their first name.
blessed is offline  
#147 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 04:10 PM
 
~PurityLake~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last post (#137) I posted after just reading the OP.
I've now read this entire thread and have a few more comments to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
I suggested some acronyms further up, someone else suggest some.
I'd hate for this to become one of those threads where everyone sits around complaining about the problem but does not actually does anything to solve the problem.
I liked your suggestions and I agree that I'd like to see this problem resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj119 View Post
I, for one, am glad that someone had the kahones to say something about it, finally.

When I learn that, by my use of language or by my mis-use of it, I unintentionally cause offense or insult to my audience, then I have a choice to make.
I either blame the audience, deny any responsibility, and assert the goodness of my intentions
or I modify my language to achieve my goal which is open communication with a diverse community.... to represent myself accurately, honestly and with respect for how that will translate with my audience.

DearStepSon'sMother DSSM
DearStepDaughter'sMother DSDM
or DearStepChildren'sMother DSCM
these are good! And, easy to use!
are they not?

-anj119
I agree, wonderful suggestions that follow the theme of other abbreviations used here on MDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
I would love to be called Katherine's Bonus Mom instead of her Stepmom. BM for short? No problem.
Yes, Bonus mom is so much better than Step mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
I am so very upset about this is if you are going to use Internet shorthand with your typing... what is your internal dialog? At what point does your writing shorthand become your actual spoken words? I hate when someone tries to speak or type in LOL or 1 4 C B4 U. The contraction of words to a couple of letters or even one is going to eventually cost us the written word.
Yes, I agree, and I hate reading most internet shorthand. It wounds my sensibilities to read letters mixed with numbers, or words spelled in slang form, or half-used acronyms, such as skids (I do read it as it's spelled and I don't like it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle View Post
To answer Harleyhalfmoon, BM & Bio or Birth mom is offensive. That there is any designation at all is offensive. As I said in a previous post, children have a MOM and a STEP-MOM, no other clarification is necessary.
I also agree with this.
No matter the special circumstances of an individual, I think the original father/dad should be called as such, and the original mother/mom should as well.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif
 
 
 
 

~PurityLake~ is offline  
#148 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 04:10 PM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
My child was adopted and we use the term 'birthmom' and the written abbreviation 'bmom'.

I think when someone is involved in actively parenting the child - as in a shared or partial custody situation - that person reserves the term 'mother' or 'father'. When the person has no real role in the child's life, then I can see how the child might want to reserve those terms for the people who are parenting him or her and refer to their birthparent in a more abstracted way, like with their first name.
Thank you blessed. I agree.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#149 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 04:54 PM
 
sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I honestly do think that most mothers don't post here because they feel this forum is for step mothers mainly. At times I've wondered that myself.
I feel like the forum should be called StepParents Families and not include the Blended Families part. I consider my situation to be more of a blended situation although I have no step children. But I tend to go to the Single Parenting forum if I want to talk about problems I'm having with her stepmother or her father. The posters there tend to be less defensive about these kind of issues, IMO. But that's just MY opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
My child was adopted and we use the term 'birthmom' and the written abbreviation 'bmom'.

I think when someone is involved in actively parenting the child - as in a shared or partial custody situation - that person reserves the term 'mother' or 'father'. When the person has no real role in the child's life, then I can see how the child might want to reserve those terms for the people who are parenting him or her and refer to their birthparent in a more abstracted way, like with their first name.


I am an adopted child and I refer to the person who gave birth to me as a birth (or bio) mother. My Mom is the one who gets the title mom. Why should it be different in a step situation? If the Step mom is the one who does all of the raising and the "real" mother is uninvolved, the title is a no brainer.

I find the term Birth/bio mother offensive to my role in my daughter's life.

I've seen the term Active dad/mom used to refer to a NCP who is involved and active. Maybe those who have custody of their stepkids can use the term active mom instead of birth mom. How about Custodial Mom/Dad?
sunflowers is offline  
#150 of 264 Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM
 
kblackstone444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,832
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
I think everyone can co-exist on a forum like this if each understand:
1. When a stepmom is venting about her stepchild's mom, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
2. When a mother of a child with a stepmother is venting about her child's stepmother, that is specific to her situation and not a blanket condemnation of anyone.
3. On the rare occasion that someone does issue a blanket condemnation of moms, stepmoms, biological moms, "real" moms, birth moms, adoptive moms, dads, whatever...call them on it.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
And just touching upon what you said about half siblings, I do have other children from my current husband and we don't call them half siblings to my oldest. However, my ex and his wife do. They make a point to tell my daughter that they are only HALF related to her, and not "real" siblings. "Real" siblings he told her, will be when he and his wife have children.
I think you may have slightly misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was, we use those terms when neccesary in our home, but not all the time, just when we clarify for some reason. Also, I would like to point out that we don't use the term "real" siblings in our house. The way we put it is, you're either siblings or your not. There's no "real" as opposed to "fake". I'll never forget how hurt I felt (Hubby and son, too), when my stepdaughter, at age three, told us she had to leave and go home to her Mother because she has to spend Easter with her REAL family. Since then, we've all (all three parents) have been very careful about clarification with Bio and Step and such, as opposed to "real family" and "other family" or worse, "fake family".

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybunny View Post
For me, the biggest part of the bio, step, bm or skids issues are now that there are voices coming up and saying "hey we find this offensive." There are people who are claiming that since they don't mean for it to be offensive, it is not. And in so doing, refusing to change their language, and laying the blame for feeling offended on the offended.
I've been reading in forums for 5 or 6 years now and I suspect that in many cases, the mere existance of the "other one", whether or not the other one is the Stepmother or the "real" Mother, is offensive to the one talking. And if everyone stopped saying one thing because it offended another person, no one would ever be allowed to vent, express their own feelings or draw comfort from someone who's been in a similar situation before them, someone who can say, "Hey, there's a light at the end of the tunnel."

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
kblackstone444 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off