Last Name of New Baby - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Who's last name should the baby have?
Mine (the name that the baby's mother and sister share) 6 20.69%
His (the baby's father) 16 55.17%
Hyphenate it (despite the two names being complicated to say and spell) 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

#31 of 32 Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am fully behind matriarchal naming;

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 32 Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I gave my DD the last name of my fiance, and I completely understand what you're saying about needing/wanting to have the same last name as your child. DP & I are slowly moving towards marriage, and after we're married, we'll all have the same last name. I considered giving DD my name until after we were married, but then I thought about two things: 1). how hurt my DP would be that his child wouldn't carry his name; and 2). all the paperwork I would have to go through to change both our names.

I have also heard of what one of the pp suggested: creating a new family name for everyone. I have known people who have done this, and the new family name that they chose was a group effort and the name ended up having a very special meaning for them all. Maybe that will be an option for your family as well.

Best of luck to you, OP.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page