Hannah Montana? (x-posted from Childhood) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricha View Post
I don't have a problem talking about different peole believing different things... we are just careful not to attach judgment to it when it comes to differences between us and her mom. For example, SD is allowed to chew gum at her mom's and not at ours... we say simply that "it's okay with mom, but not with us, so you can do it when you are with mom and she says it is okay." However, we won't say "It's not safe to chew gum. If your mom wants to let you, that's her choice, but you can't do it here because it is not safe." While the first says that people have different opinions and different rules, the second implies that her mom is doing something that is unsafe for her.

We are all for promoting the legitimacy of choices and beliefs other than our own, we are just not willing to tell her something that implies her mother is making choices for her that are not safe, healthy, or moral. If we believe mom is making a harmful choice for my step-daughter, it is something for my husband to discuss with his ex, not for him to tell his daughter.

Sorry... hijack over...
i agree completely. these issues come up all the time for us and i am sure for DSK's mom too. example- she allows them to see some r rated movies at age 5 and 7. we don't. we try to explain that each house/parent gets to have their own decisions and rules and thats it. if the kids probe us further we explain why we may not choose certain things but we dont say anything to imply that thier mom isnt being good to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i hate HM also...very much!!! My girls aren't really into it thankfully!
But I would just let her watch it. Her Mother lets her watch it so it's not like you can 'un-do' her liking it, get my drift?

User Tag List