Soy protein: safe or not? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a vegetarian (have been for years) and have often supplemented my diet with protein shakes...generally I make something like this: 2 cups soy milk, 1 scoop (1 1/2-2 tbs) of soy protein powder (25 g of protein), and a fruit or two of choice. I read, recently, that protein powders are unsafe during pregnancy...is this the case with soy protein? Can anyone give me some solid evidence that this either safe or unsafe???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 PM

I'd love to know where you read that protein powder is unsafe since I've been advised to drink a glass everyday...
#3 of 10 Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 PM

One thing is, if soy is not organic then it is grown with a boatload of pesticides. So only organic and (IMO) non-GMO soy should be consumed. You probably already know that.

One of the concerns with soy I remember reading is that it mimics estrogenic qualities, and large amounts of it are feared to have negative effects on the proper development of male children, both in utero and during childhood (if they consume soy formula and/or lots of soy milk). Whether there is any scientific proof or it's just supposition, I have no idea.

I remember reading that although we have this idea that people in Asia eat lots of soy - and look how healthy they are - that's not accurate. I think the average daily consumption across Asia was like one ounce or less.

If you want to read opinions against the safety of soy, you'll find a lot of articles at: http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm#

Do you consume dairy products? One approach you might consider would be to rotate through various protein sources so you aren't overloading on soy. Suggestions would be organic goat and cow milk, yogurt, &/or milk powder; almond, walnut, or hazelnut meal; nut butters; ground flax seeds; etc. You can also boost up baked goods with these items to increase your protein.

One last thing, long-time vegetarians actually seem to process protein better than meat eaters and therefore many people believe they don't need as many grams of protein per day during pregnancy. I can't find the info offhand, but I seem to recall Ina May Gaskin writing that 60-75 grams was appropriate for a long-time vegetarian (whereas I think the range is around 75-100 for non-vegetarians).

Carol
crahrah likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I read this info. in What to Expect when You're Expecting ...a book I'm finding I don't care for all that much.

Ellasmama, thank you for the info. I'm sure I'm actually getting enough protein...I do eat dairy. And I do make sure that my proteins are complete. I eat a lot of flax seed and other nuts and grains. I think being pregnant for the first time makes me a bit hyper-sensitive about my diet.

It just struck me as odd that it would be written that protein powders should not be consumed. When I eat on the go, I often help myself along with protein shakes. Plus, I really like them!
#5 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 AM

I would think the shakes would be healthy, just don't overdo the protein. While adequate protein promotes brain and nervous tissue development, remember your baby's immature kidneys have to deal with any excess in your diet too.
HTH
#6 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle
I read this info. in What to Expect when You're Expecting ...a book I'm finding I don't care for all that much.

Ellasmama, thank you for the info. I'm sure I'm actually getting enough protein...I do eat dairy. And I do make sure that my proteins are complete. I eat a lot of flax seed and other nuts and grains. I think being pregnant for the first time makes me a bit hyper-sensitive about my diet.

It just struck me as odd that it would be written that protein powders should not be consumed. When I eat on the go, I often help myself along with protein shakes. Plus, I really like them!
Ugh...Some of my friends refer to that book as "what to WORRY ABOUT when you are expecting" :LOL Thanks for the info though
#7 of 10 Old 07-22-2005, 03:11 PM

In order to properly digest a protein, it should be eaten with the fat it comes with (whole milk, whole nuts, etc). When powders are made, these fats tend to go rancid due to exposure to high heat, and then because they have so much surface area.
#8 of 10 Old 07-23-2005, 09:48 PM

hi,
there is a ton of info (and controversy!) over soy. personally, i think in moderation it's fine, part of the problem i think though is that it is mostly used in very processed foods (soy protein isolate would be quite processed, not at all close to it's natural form).
our family is vegan, and when i was pregnant with my son i was told by my nutritionist to eat as much soy as possible because it's a complete protein and she was worried i wasn't getting enough. i was told to drink a litre of soymilk a day as well as try to include lots of tofu, veggie dogs, etc into my diet. she recommended this because she was always worried i was too low in protein (and i always continued to be throughout the pregnancy). noah came out at 9 lbs 4 oz and was and still is a very healthy little boy.
HOWever, after reading alot more on the subject of soy and protein in general (i really don't believe we need close to as much as they say we do) with this pregnancy i'm not eating close to as much soy products as i did then. also, i am much more careful about eating only organic soy, as it's high on the list of pesticides and GMO.
everything in moderation. personally, i wouldn't feel too comfy drinking soy protein powders, mainly because it's so concentrated/processed plus i just don't believe we need that much protein (even vegetarians). especially if you eat other animal products (eggs, cheese). and if you're eating a well balanced diet that includes lots of beans and nuts. but what's most important is that you do what you feel is right for you.

good luck
rowan
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Well I'm going to my midwife tomorrow and we're going to have a long talk about dietary protein, so I'll get the scoop! I am not vegetarian (by choice) but lately I can't eat any meat at all except for some fish and shell fish. So what does that leave me with? Milk, eggs, soy, nuts and beans.

I was thinking I would get some soy protein powder to make shakes with to help boost my protein intake. So I'm gonna talk to the midwife and see what she says. I'm not enjoying the vegetarian pregnancy, I'm losing weight and my tummy never feels satisfied when I eat. Don't get me wrong, I was a veggie for 6 years earlier in my life, but I just wasn't prepared for this at this point.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#10 of 10 Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM

My midwife said it's okay!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page