Water gives me heartburn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's that about? Does that happen to anyone else? I'm finding it hard to be a good little mama and drink buckets of water when it gives me instant heartburn!

Argh.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#2 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Not having that problem yet, but I did when I was pg w/ds. I have a short torso, and everything I put into my mouth gave me heartburn. I had tums everywhere!! In the car, beside my bed, beside the kitchen sink, on my desk at work, in front of the tv....
#3 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Not from your ddc, just feel like responding. Don't drink while/right after you eat. Wait until the food got settled down first. That usually works for me!
#4 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Well, I'm not even pg, but I do remember the water giving me heartburn. My advice: 1 tsp baking soda dissolved in a glass of water each day. It balances your ph in your stomach and should get rid of any heartburn. You're right that drinking water is important. Hope you feel better soon!
#5 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 PM

I read that the hormones which relax the ligaments and joints also relax your throat -- hence heartburn at every opportunity!

If you drink a lot of water it would be more likely to "overflow" your stomach.

I have the same issue sometimes. I don't think I had heartburn until the very end last time, so I'm not happy about it!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#6 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 04:44 PM

I've noticed that too but thought I was crazy! We had a mw appointment yesterday and she recommended papaya enzymes. I haven't tried them yet, but really hope they'll work.....
#7 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Yep, water just dilutes the stomach acid and makes it bubble up more. I puke up water all the time.

Apple juice is supposed to be good for heartburn, and I have better luck with juice or sports drinks than water. Even herbal iced tea. And yeah, try not to eat and drink at the same time (I know, right! I'm so thirsty it's hard not to drink while eating!)

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014.
#8 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Try drinking it cold. Room temp drinks and tap water make my heartburn worse.
#9 of 12 Old 09-14-2005, 06:51 PM

So far I don't have heartburn while drinking water with this time around. I use to put a little bit of lemon juice in it and for some reason it would help. And I agree with everyone else : limit water with food intake. Yep
#10 of 12 Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM

I have the same problem and started drinking bubbly water, or limeade cut with tap or bubbly water, always very cold. I found that the San Pellegrino water is what I tolerate best because the bubbles are small and "soft" in your mouth and it doesn't make me all burpy. Luckily our Costco has it by the case at a very good price. Best limeade so far is Odwalla, but I just bought some Trader Joe's to try so we'll see how that works.
#11 of 12 Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad I'm not just insane! Not that I wish this oddity of pregnancy on anyone else of course!
I'll try all the suggestions (she types as she gulps down an enormous glass of room temp agua after finishing her spag )
tomorrow!

Thanks mamas!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-16-2005, 11:39 AM

OMG me too! I keep thinking how odd it is that water gives me heartburn!!!! For me ANYTHING I consume after 3pm gives me heartburn. It's gotten so bad that it wakes me up at night! And I immediately need to get upright or I'm going to throw up!!! I've tried TUMS and Papaya Enzymes and they are not helping much. With my last pregnancy I ended up on Prevacid (at the very end) which was a blessing, but it's waaay worse this time around. Blech.

Nikki

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page