Weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really don't know why I'm worrying so much about this pregnancy (that's yet another thread) but my latest obsession is my weight. I haven't gained anything since my last OB visit 3.5 weeks ago (at least accordng to my scale) And so far I have only gained about 3-4 pounds total. I'm eating more than usual, not as active as usual, I thought I'd be gaining more - I know I did with my last 3 pregnancies. Why am I obsessing so much? It's like I'm looking for something to be wrong....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I haven't gained any weight either, but at least I'm not losing anymore!

Wait until we are fully in the 3rd trimester...then we'll be complaining about the 2lbs a week we are gaining and worrying about GD and stuff. Always something to worry about!!!

And my MW's scale weighs me at least 5-7lbs heavier, so if I weighed the same at home as I did at her office, then I'd have gained that much!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 09-23-2005, 09:22 PM

I'll send you my weight. I've already gained 14 lbs. BUt I am just a pig and eat too many goodies. Speaking of which, you must try the Dreyers apple pie ice cream. YUMMMM I wait every year for fall to come since that is the only time they sell it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
I'll send you my weight. I've already gained 14 lbs. BUt I am just a pig and eat too many goodies. Speaking of which, you must try the Dreyers apple pie ice cream. YUMMMM I wait every year for fall to come since that is the only time they sell it.
OOO yum! That sounds heavenly!!! Have you tried the Breyers Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream? Nummy nummy nummy!! Hmm, funny thing, I'm suddenly craving ice cream :LOL
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Yer killing me!! I'm not allowed to eat fat!!!! Well, it makes me barf anyway.

I did get some of the slow-churned dreyers lowfat and it's pretty tasty. Seemed to stay down too, which is the point!! Hmmm, I think the lbs will be coming on soon...

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 5 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014, ectopic loss @ 6 weeks 11/2014
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepymama
Yer killing me!! I'm not allowed to eat fat!!!! Well, it makes me barf anyway.

I did get some of the slow-churned dreyers lowfat and it's pretty tasty. Seemed to stay down too, which is the point!! Hmmm, I think the lbs will be coming on soon...
:LOL Sorry about that - I seem to have an evil streak in me today :LOL
Old 09-23-2005, 10:52 PM

On our scale at home I have gained in the 5 lb range.I'm 20 weeks.
The mw scale is higher than ours too!
I'm a good end gainer... :LOL
Off to have some ice cream...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm seeing a trend here - why do doctor's office scales read higher? As if we don't have enough to obsess about :LOL

I'm being good, I'm eating dinner before I have that ice cream - with root beer :LOL
Old 09-23-2005, 11:25 PM

I haven't gained anything either, but I don't have much of an appetite anyway. I'm not worried since I was a little pudgy anyway!
Old 09-24-2005, 02:45 AM

Finally, the baby went to bed so I could have my ice cream!! I always wait till he's asleep so I dont have to share! LOL
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 AM

I'm up about 10 pounds now at 20 weeks. This is pretty much in line with my pregnancy w/ DS where I gained about 25 pounds up until delivery.

I got preeclampsia during labor tho, so weighed nearly 10 pounds more, from water retention, after DS was born than I did while he was still in me! Talk about depressing.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 AM

I haven't gained anything, but at least I'm not losing anymore. I'm not really worried about it, I was about 50 lbs over what I would consider a healthy weight for me (I gained 70 lbs when pregnant w/dd, and didn't really lose anything after the immediate baby+placenta weight) I was worried when I was actively losing because I couldn't keep anything down, but oh well.

I don't have a scale at home, so I only weigh myself at the midwife's and at my mil's. My mil's scale reads 5-7 lbs higher. I do think she does it just to torture me. :LOL
Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 AM

UGH, you guys! Now I feel even worse...I've gained 20 lbs!! With my first two pg I gained 35-40 lbs total each time, but this time I started out heavier, so I'm now at the weight that I was when I gave birth before. And at 21 weeks today, I have a lot of weight yet to gain...
Old 09-24-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
Finally, the baby went to bed so I could have my ice cream!! I always wait till he's asleep so I dont have to share! LOL
LOL Angie, you're as bad as I am! I couldn't wait for her to go to sleep though so I waited until they were all engrossed in a movie (they had a sleepover in the living room) and I snuck my ice cream past them, locked myself in the bathroom and took a nice warm bubble bath (ALL BY MYSELF FOR A CHANGE!!!) I don't like to share either :LOL
Old 09-24-2005, 03:34 PM

I just turned 19 weeks today and I have only gained 5lbs total. Technically im only 3lb up from prepregnancy weight.

How dare you all sit there and talkabout ice cream! I want some!! But alas I cant have any. I am lucky to get a glass of milk in me a day.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:22 PM

My first pregnancy I lost weight during m/s and then gained more slowly than this time in trimester 2. I think the main reason was that I was so careful about eating a good diet. This time I didn't gain during m/s but didn't lose much either, and now I'm eating like crazy and not all that well. I mean, I eat some healthy foods, don't get me wrong, but then I have brownies or ice cream on top of it (every day!). And I have a penchant for nachos - had then at least 3 times as a meal this past week. So gee, can't imagine why I'm gaining weight so quickly...munch munch, oink oink.... I keep promising myself to do better,, and I did at least cook several times this past week (When I cook I eat healthy stuff). Maybe this coming week I'll get it together.

Carol
Old 09-24-2005, 06:39 PM

I am 19w, and I have lost some, and gained some. I am now up about a pound or two from pre-pregnancy. I am starting to feel a little better though, and am getting quite an appetite!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
Old 09-25-2005, 03:40 PM

Um, I've gained about 15lbs so far. My excuse is that I'm having twins :LOL

I must must must have my coffee ice cream every night- with Heath Magic shell. : It is a small bowl though.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunMama
Um, I've gained about 15lbs so far. My excuse is that I'm having twins :LOL

I must must must have my coffee ice cream every night- with Heath Magic shell. : It is a small bowl though.
I so did NOT need a craving like that :LOL I had a giant root ber float last night and my scale finally says I've put on a pound - woohoo
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I hadn't gained anything yet. I started this pregnant 11 lbs more than when I started my pregancy with Olivia. I gained 60 lbs with her and STILL hadn't lost it all. And I was already 20 lbs overweight before her. I am hoping to not gain more than 30 lbs total. I am 19 weeks 2 days and I have gained 9 lbs. No more than one lb. a week is my goal from now on!

And no fair about the ice cream. We are broke, broke, broke and can't afford any!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 AM

Luckily I don't own a scale. If I did, i'd be obsessing about my weight. At my last visit with my midwife I had gained 5.5lbs total, but that was at 16w. I'm sure i've gained more since then, but I won't know till I go to my next appt. on 10/11. So I don't worry about it. I figure, I eat when i'm hungry...and I do try to watch what I eat. Although I am known to eat a batch of chocolate chip cookies in a day.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM

I've gained 11lbs (6 pounds from 16-20 weeks) and midwife isn't worried so I'm not upset. I could be eating better, but it could be a lot worse too. I'm still 9lbs lighter now than I was when I started my pregnancy with DS. I gained 50+ with him... we'll see. =) Those vitamins of mine keep me from wanting/needing to eat all the time, so I was surprised to see that jump in a month. Ah well.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Yikes, I wasn't too concerned but now reading about all you lightweights... I've gained (according to my scale at home which registers less than my midwife's) 25 pounds and I'm only 19 weeks or so!!!
Argh.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

Old 09-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Plady, I'm with you. I've gained 20 lbs and I'm 20 weeks. I thought I was fairly normal until I saw this thread. Is no one else gaining any weight?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Perhaps those who are gaining weight started out lighter? I know I started this pg about 50 lbs over what I know is healthy for me. So losing, and not gaining isn't really a worry for me. My belly is growing like crazy, but my fat seems to be redistributing. With my dd, I gained like 60-70 lbs, almost all in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I gained like 12 lbs in between visits, but I started out much thinner. , I don't worry too much about weight either way. I figure my body knows what it needs to grow a healthy baby. (if only it would decide I need some Kale!)
Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I went to the doctor yesterday and I have actually gained 3 pounds this month - my scale said I lost one :LOL I was a bit ticked at my doctor though because he said I should only have gained 2 pounds then proceeded to give me the lecture about weight gain I had to laugh. According to him I should only gain 26 pounds during my whole pregnancy - whatever! And I wonder why I'm so obsessed with weight :LOL
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm up 15 pounds at like 18 weeks.
Urgh, it makes me nuts to read threads where folks haven't gained at all!! :LOL

Ok, I'm trying really hard to eat well and keep controlled. Fortunately for me I started out WAAAAAAAY lighter than I did on my last pg. (I'm 5'11 and I was 208lbs when our ds was conceived.) I'm now 201 and figure I'll end up somewhere in the 220s when all is said and done. Frankly, I was over 250 full term with dd and over 240 full term with DS so I am just hopeful I don't end up as heavy as I have been.

oh well, when winter closes in and Christmas draws near I'm sure to binge a bit!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:10 PM

I went to the doc today and I gained 8 lbs this month!!! I'm at 18 total at 22 weeks. I knew I had tremendous growth in the last month but I thought it was more just popping out than actual weight gain. Guess I was wrong . I don't eat perfect but not that bad. Its more like I eat healthy foods with small treats thrown in there. I don't substitute unhealthy foods for healthy ones. But I do have daily (small) treats which I have always done. My prepregnancy weight is perfectly healthy, not too skinny and not at all over weight. I do exercise about 3-4 times a week still as well - 30 minutes on the eliptical. I figure worrying about weight gain isn't going to do any body any good so I'll just continue eating reasonably and exercising and whatever happens happens. of course its still shocking to get on that scale and see such a huge increase.

Micky
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 PM

It seems like weight gain is more dependent on genes than on anything else. Everybody's body deals with pregnancy differently.

I've gained 6 pounds at 21 weeks. I lost 5 initially from m/s, so I've really gained 11 total, but only 6 net pounds. That puts me on the low-normal end according to this graph. Please note that the graph is supposedly for people starting out at a "normal" prepregnancy weight (BMI 20-25). There are different graphs for people starting out over or underweight...don't get freaked out by the numbers! I'm only interested because I was worried that I wasn't gaining enough, and the graph reassured me that there is a wide range of normal (and that my weight gain is likely to pick up soon :LOL ).

I'm not exercising (other than recreational walking, more for mental health than physical) or following a particular diet, which is why I think it's more about genes than anything.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Andi, I'll trade my vomiting 8-10 times a day until 20 weeks for your weight gain! I'll be 250+ by the time this baby is born too, and I am waaaaaay shorter than you :LOL I doubt I will gain too much though because I can't friggin EAT anything without getting sick because of my gall bladder. It's all baked potatoes, fruit, plain chicken, and nonfat yogurt from here out. I already know what's going to be on my thanksgiving plate...plain turkey, mashed taters with NO butter, and some cranberry sauce. Yay. I still haven't gained at 20 weeks but am holding steady. I'll be fine with 10-15lb weight gain, which means 1lb a week starting in a couple weeks or so.

User Tag List