Floradix - How long does it take to work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm SOOOOOO tired - I mean, napping in the afternoon and then going to bed at 8:30 pm and sleeping until 7:30 am tired. My iron is low and midwife recommended Flordix. I just started taking it today. How soon did all of you feel results! I could use some RIGHT NOW!! LOL
#2 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 06:20 PM

What? That isn't a normal sleep schedule?

I need Floradix too but I haven't been able to find any, and my doula even looked all over Texas for it too! Where did you get yours?

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#3 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Plady!!

I found mine at our local health food store. But I also found some on line: http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/r4771.asp It says Canada though - but there must be other places on line that will sell it. Is your iron low too?
#4 of 10 Old 11-13-2005, 06:38 PM

I took Floradix after I had Zoe (I had *very* low hemoglobin levels) and I'm taking some now because I have a feeling I'm slightly anemic.

My naturopath told me that you can take more than the recommended amount if you need a booster.

Right now I'm taking 20 mL twice a day in an attempt to get some energy back. Because it's plant based iron, it's supposed to be less constipating than regular iron pills - and safer to take more if you need to.

Of course I would check with your midwife or practitioner first.

I think it took me a couple of weeks before I felt the full effects.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#5 of 10 Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Yup, I'm anemic. I've been trying to boost my levels through diet alone (plus a nettle tincture and ferrum phos homeopathically) and I'll get a blood test tomorrow to see how I've done. However, I expect to still be low since none of the symptoms have gone away. I just surfed around looking for Floradix in Mexico to no avail but I found this http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/nutrition.html#Iron site that suggests a lower level of hemoglobin is actually a good thing. My midwife had said that it wouldn't be so bad if I had been farther along (this was all in early Oct) but that at 23 weeks she was concerned. Anyway, thought you all might find the article interesting FWIW.

I'm going to go make myself some chopped liver!

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#6 of 10 Old 11-14-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Plady I hope you get this taken care of without having to use supplements! Liver??? Yeck!!! I just couldn't stomach it right now! LOL Thanks for the link to the article. I'm going to read it now. Lower levels may be okay, but when I'm feeling this tired, I have to do something!

zoesmummy - My midwife told me to go ahead with it, so I am. Just curious, how low were your levels after Zoe? I had extremely low levels after my first as well - 6.1 was as low as it got. Right now I'm at 9.1. Not awful, but enough that I really feel it!
#7 of 10 Old 11-15-2005, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plady
What? That isn't a normal sleep schedule?

I need Floradix too but I haven't been able to find any, and my doula even looked all over Texas for it too! Where did you get yours?
Hey there -- I saw it at HEB (if your HEB has a "natural" section).

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#8 of 10 Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Hi
I'm not on floradix, I'm on hemoplex (called hemoplex 50 in the U.S.)
http://www.ottway.com/Client/SOL/Pro...0?OpenDocument

and I'm having my blood retested this week (have been on it for about two months)
so I'll let you know.
I wasn't actually anemic, but my reserves were low so the mws wanted to boost them.
#9 of 10 Old 11-15-2005, 05:27 PM

I think I was a seven when they sent me home... all I know for sure was that the midwife and the doctor were arguing because she wanted me to be transfused (I was at *the* lowest number BEFORE they'll give you blood) and the doctor disagreed. He said I just needed rest and iron supplements...

Bastard! I was so so so tired it was ridiculous. But in the end I was okay - so I guess all's well that end's well!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#10 of 10 Old 11-15-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Melissa - Looking back, they sent me home way too early too. I couldn't even shower without sitting down. I'd pass out! But, once my levels started coming back up, they did so quickly. It took me a good six weeks to really feel like myself again.

Okay - I'm on day 3 of the floradix and I gotta say - my muscles aren't dead tired by 4 pm anymore!! I actually stayed up until about 10 pm last night. I don't know if it's the supplement or not, but I'm gonna keep taking it!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page