Mothering Forum banner

Lists, lists, lists

603 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  JacksMomma 
#1 ·
Is anyone else making endless to-do lists in their heads? The time I end up doing this the most is in the middle of the night, when I would much rather be sleeping! Once I start thinking of things I have left to do, there is no way I'm going back to sleep. I actually don't feel like we're THAT far from being ready, with over two months to go, but at the same time it seems like I'll never have everything done!

We still need to take a tour of the hospital, pack our bag, make more diapers (I've only made newborn size so far!), get some more clothes, and actually wash and put away the clothes we've got, get a stroller and car seat, make or buy a sling...blah blah blah.

I'm such a procrastinator, so I really should be proud of the fact that I do have a few things ready for this baby!
Anyone else starting to stress just a tad??

winn

See less See more
#2 ·
Winn, I'm a big time big time list maker. Its how I worry about things. I must make lists.

This time through, I'm not making nearly as many because, well, I'm likely less worried. Its our third, our second winter baby and we already have boy stuff and girl stuff. There's really not much to do except wait for labour to start.

But, given that this is your first, you've said before that it was unexpected and that you're juggling school and work and everything else, I'd be stressed too!

If money is tight, have you tried your local freecycle group for any donations of clothes or baby items? people often have stuff they're happy to give away to someone just starting out....
(there are freecycle groups all across north America and often they have yahoo groups for posting messages... you might find it interesting?
this is the link for Freecycle in Canada, you might be able to find a group in your area
http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=Canada )

Don't worry. It will all get done. The baby needs you and really not much else. A stroller can be bought later, extra clothes etc too. Try not to stress!

#3 ·
I'm a list maker and a procrastinator too. I'm not so stressed about this baby, but there is a lot of stuff that I know it would be easier to do before the baby gets here. My list at the moment:

wash clothes
clean out closet so have a place to put clothes
wash new diapers and covers
set up changing table
drag baby gear out of basement and clean
install carseat and have checked
take dd to dentist
meet with our doula (I know her, dh doesn't)
pack hospital bag
take dd to sibling class at hospital
make arrangements for dd during labor
organize dd's birthday party (probably a week or two after baby comes)

I was really optimistic and bought stuff to dye cpf's, but I'm having trouble motivating myself to do it.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by april77
I'm a list maker and a procrastinator too. I'm not so stressed about this baby, but there is a lot of stuff that I know it would be easier to do before the baby gets here. My list at the moment:

wash clothes
clean out closet so have a place to put clothes
wash new diapers and covers
set up changing table
drag baby gear out of basement and clean
install carseat and have checked
take dd to dentist
meet with our doula (I know her, dh doesn't)
pack hospital bag
take dd to sibling class at hospital
make arrangements for dd during labor
organize dd's birthday party (probably a week or two after baby comes)

I was really optimistic and bought stuff to dye cpf's, but I'm having trouble motivating myself to do it.
Your list is almost identical to mine, with only a few exceptions! And too bad we don't live near each other, I'd love to dye some cpfs too...

#5 ·
I did that last pregnancy. I think I actually still have the list in my notebook. I'll just look it over again instead of making a new one... LOL
I have a very short list of things to do this time so havent bothered...
But this worries me, that I am so nonchalant about getting anything done. I keep telling myself I am waiting because I dont want to get to the end and have everything done and be bored, but at the same time, it worries me to not get stuff done... Like on a subconcious level...

#6 ·
Oh yeah, I'm sure my nieghbor is sick of me listing out loud the things I've got to get done when we get back from Ca. after the holidays. buy the dresser for the baby, stain it,go through the baby clothes and find the gender nuetral stuff, get new car seats for all three so that we don't have to buy a new car, get a sling, tour L&D since I'm in yet another state for the birth,pack bags for all, maybe look up a doula if I have money, have back up plans in case I have to do it alone (happened last time).....my mind just spins....

#7 ·
Add me to the list group! I'm actually tempted to have DH read this so he knows I'm not the only one! I have limited myself to one page in a notebook and every time I think of something I write it down, then it's gone, ya right!!

Let's see here is what we have;

Order birthkit
Newborn Diapers and Small diapers
Unscented wipes
Comfy Pj's for me
Baby Bouncer
Candles for labor
Advil for afterwards
Large freezer bags

Wash baby clothes, set up changing table and dresser in office (away from DS's room so I don't wake him).
Make and freeze at least 10 meals.

Hmm...that's really not that bad

#8 ·
Yup- I'm on the "list group" too.

I have to:

Finish orders ( I only have a few more)
Make PP pads and nursing pads for me
Order my pampering stuff from storkwarehouse
Um...buy a CARSEAT! and get that installed
Find storage for the baby's stuff
Wash clothes and diapers

And some other stuff I can't think of because my head hurts.

#10 ·
Ack! I'm the same way as the o.p. I've got so many lists posted around this house and seeing them just stresses me out further! But if I don't write down what I'm thinking, I'll get stressed out too.
My favorite list is my ever-changing "Things to sew before February". It just keeps growing and growing. I've also gotten very organized with my grocery lists.

#11 ·
Oh my goodness - I am definitely driving myself mad with endless lists in my head!! Maybe I should take a hint from the rest of you and start writing things down! It might make feel at least a little bit better, seeing it on paper and not worrying about forgetting something. And I should keep it with me in case I think of something randomly. Kinda like how you write questions down for your next prenatal appointment as you think of them. I bet it will also make me feel a lot better seeing the things on the list get checked off! I wonder why I didn't think of this before???

=*Leighanna*=

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.