Is anyone else throwing up in the middle of the night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've been waking up every night and throwing up again!! I'm sure it's acid reflux, but it's really annoying and it HURTS!!! My entire chest hurts afterward. I'm okay during the day, but get my lying down and it's just awful. I've been sleeping propped up on a number of pillows and that does help a bit. Just wondering if I'm alone? What are you doing about it (besides Tums - which just isn't cutting it!)?
#2 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Oh Yeah. Boy do I throw up at night. And I also sleep pretty much upright with a lot of pillows. I haven't really found anything that helps. I do eat crazy amounts of tums, but they only make me feel a little better while awake, and then I think I feel more sick when I wake again. So, you're not alone, but I'm not sure I have any good suggestions. s
#3 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 09:40 PM

Oh yikes, I'm really sorry. That is just plain unfair! Hope it ends soon.

Carol
#4 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 PM

I have horrible reflux and sleep practically sitting up at night and I absolutely need to take pepcid (20mg) or else I have horrid episodes of waking up choking/nearly aspirating and that is really unpleasant.

I found it helps not to eat much after 6 or 7 oclock and also not to drink a great volume of water in the hours before bed either.

So sorry you're having a rough time at night too!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 7 Old 12-23-2005, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I was hoping there'd be at least one other person, but I'm sorry to see that there are more!! This just sucks! I actually had one night where I aspirated some. VERY scary and painful. I think I may sleep on my recliner tonight.

I'll have to try not drinking as much water right before bed. I don't usually eat too late, but I do drink water. Is Pepcid OTC? And safe while pregnant?
#6 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
If I didn't take my nexium I'd be throwing up all the time. It really does help and is category B for PG I think...you can ask your doc if it is really getting bad. I believe prilosec OTC is the same active ingredient.

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014.
#7 of 7 Old 12-24-2005, 01:55 PM

Pepcid is what my mw prescribed and it's "safe" in that sense. Compared to the damage that could be done if I didn't, it's worth it to me to go the meds route. It is OTC--Pepcid makes a max. strength that is the prescription 20mg dose, but I just buy the generic 10mg and take two--much cheaper! I did hold off on starting to take it til I absolutely had to (26wks or so) and it makes all the difference.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page