Question about sitz bath - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been getting my birth stuff ready and I feel pretty prepared except for the sitz bath. When I had ds I bought a bunch but only made a little because making it seemed too time consuming with a newborn, so this time I want to be a little more prepared. I figured I would make some early and freeze it in ice cube trays to have on hand when I need it (as suggested by the woman who worked at the herb store I bought it from).

Has anybody done this? Did you end up using it? If boiling water seems like too much work will I really have the patience to melt ice ? Also, did you reuse your ice cube trays for ice (or even baby food) afterward or did you throw them out and get knew ones (are they contaminated by the comfrey)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 PM

I just mixed my herbs up. They are in a big ziploc bag, and after birth, I'll just have my hubby boil them up. You let them simmer on low, so its ok if they get forgotten about for awhile(as long as you have the heat really low).
It wasnt too much trouble like this at all last time. I would take some for a bath, then left some in a pitcher for my peri bottle.
#3 of 12 Old 01-17-2006, 11:21 PM

Something else you can do that my sister did for me after my first birth - make up some of the herb infusion/tea, pour it onto maxi pads, and freeze them. After the birth you can put on one of the frozen pads and it makes a great cold compress for a sore perineum! Just make sure you don't soak the pads with the herbs, so there is still some room for them to absorb some of the bleeding as well while you have them on.
#4 of 12 Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 PM

I tried the frozen pads last time, it was a disaster. LOL They were frozen solid, not exactly comfy... if I let them thaw out a bit, they were still too cold.

I think its plenty cold to have some of the infusion sitting out, let it cool, and squirt some into a pad. On private parts, even room temp is cool! or put it in the fridge if you really want it cold.

Can you imagine a guest bringing you a frozen meal and finding frozen pads in the freezer? LOL
#5 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
Can you imagine a guest bringing you a frozen meal and finding frozen pads in the freezer? LOL

Yeah, DH thought it was weird to have them in there, too! I didn't have any problem with them being too hard/uncomfortable - maybe you had too much liquid on them? Mine would thaw enough to not be stiff right after I put them on.
#6 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 06:42 PM

what is a sitz bath? what kind of herbs are used?

there still seems to be so much to learn!
#7 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Would someone provide a great recipe? I meant to do this last time but didn't (I had a wonderful, fast, virtually pain-free recovery from my stitches, thank God).

Would like to be prepared this time in case I don't get off so easily!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#8 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Mine is uva ursi, calendula, sherpherds purse, comfrey and lavender. You can also add sea salt or garlic when you make it.
#9 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

That recipe sounds like mine except mine also has myrrh.

And thanks for the great preparation suggestions!
#10 of 12 Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
Mine is uva ursi, calendula, sherpherds purse, comfrey and lavender. You can also add sea salt or garlic when you make it.
Does anyone know where I can buy this pre-mixed? Buying all these herbs could get expensive in a hurry.

eta: What form of Myrrh do you use? And how do you add it? (since the others are steeped)

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#11 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 01:36 AM

They sell a couple of premixed brands at the health food stores here, so check at Wild Oats or Whole Foods or whatever you have nearby. I found them right near the prenatals, along with new mama perineal spray and some ointment.

Carol
#12 of 12 Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 AM

i ordered all my birth supplies from Cascade. here is a link to their sitz bath. http://www.1cascade.com/natural_prod..._baths_herbal/

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page