getting stains out of baby clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going through ds's baby clothes (the ones that are gender neutral colors) and noticing a lot of stains from either breastmilk drool or food.
Any suggestions for getting the stains out?
I thought I would do a vigorous wash once, then wash with either a free and clear detergent, or Dreft.
I don't know if I should bleach the whites or use oxyclean, or Tide with bleach. I checked out the natural home management board and someone had recommended soaking the clothes in a tub of water with oxyclean added.
And for the color clothes, what stain remover is recommended?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 AM

I would try the oxycleen( shouldn't hurt your colored clothes) and if that didn;t work get an enzyme stain lifter to use with detergent.

I'm about to go get DS's clothes from storage so I might be in the same boat. We can experiment on stains together.
#3 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM

I usually stain stick stuff first, then use oxiclean. If they are older stains I would 1. stain stick & let sit for 10-20 minutes (I use shout gel usually), 2. soak in oxiclean & small amt of water (directions are on package) for an hour or so, 3. then wash in regular load of laundry with both detergent & 2 addt'l scoops of oxiclean.
#4 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Popping in from March, I use Ecover stain stick & for whites I use Bi-O-Kleen Oxygen Plus Bleach - both totally safe. I have to go get the gender neutral clothes from the basement as well. Beware of Tide, can be very irritating even on adult's skin & Shout is made with Trichloroethylene (TCE) VERY toxic, I wouldn't even want the fumes in my house. TCE is a nasty chemical byproduct of metal degreaser tracked by the EPA - it's used in tubing companies.

The Bi-O-Kleen will bleach, so don't use it on colors.....I've had decent luck with Ecover. HTH

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#5 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 11:37 AM

I used OxiClean and it worked really well. Have fun!
#6 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 12:10 PM

OxiClean is just sodium percarbonate. You can get it in bulk from www.thechemistrystore.com. I pick mine up from the Dollar store.

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#7 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM

thaks for the tip about bulk oxyclean! that's AWESOME.

Honestly I had a lot of dd's stuff be ruined as nothing seemed to take our her constant spitting up..... (baby three is gonna wear a LOT of blue, regardless of gender I think!)

I have found that Z'out, sold only at Walmart (in Canada), is awesome stuff. I know lots of folks hate walmart, but this stuff is really quite amazing.
#8 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 PM

I like the spray on gel formula of oxy clean. It even gets the lunch stains out of DHs clothes (amazing stuff!)
#9 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiG
thaks for the tip about bulk oxyclean! that's AWESOME.

Honestly I had a lot of dd's stuff be ruined as nothing seemed to take our her constant spitting up..... (baby three is gonna wear a LOT of blue, regardless of gender I think!)

I have found that Z'out, sold only at Walmart (in Canada), is awesome stuff. I know lots of folks hate walmart, but this stuff is really quite amazing.
I use Zout for baby stains, too! Works great!

Here's the direct link to Sodium Percarbonate (OxiClean) if anyone's interested:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_percarbonate.htm

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#10 of 11 Old 01-19-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! We'll be doing some experimenting with laundry this weekend.
#11 of 11 Old 01-20-2006, 04:45 PM

I just recently started using a cup of baking soda in the wash with my liquid detergent. I buy it at COSTCO - it's about $2.50 for a 10 lb. bag.

My daughter had horrible stains in several (light colored) sweatshirts that did not come out in the wash, so I rewashed them w/baking soda and they are totally gone. I didn't dry it in between, I know that often sets them, but you might give it a try.

Alyssa

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page