Graduated into the land of false labor.Updated in last post - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2006, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. So yesterday my contractions starting coming regularly and by last night I was able to tell they were about 6 minutes apart. So I caleed my mom to let her know, she found someone to work for her today so she could watch ds. My dh got a hold of his work to let him know. I called my doula and then decided to maybe try to rest because I felt exhausted. So needless to say they spaced out and I was able to sleep and now only have a dull back ache. So my mom went tyo work, dh has to email everyone and let them know it was false and boy do I feel a little silly , and slightly frustrated. Wow I never had this trouble last time. Everytime is different though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 05:51 PM

What day are you due?

The other night I had the same thing, regular contractions that were about 6 minutes apart and painfull for most of the night. I finally went to sleep at like 5am, and when I woke up, voila, they were gone! I think it had something to do with the shoveling I did earlier that day.

winn

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 PM

The last 2 days I have been having alot of regular contractions too. I think we are just warming up.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM

A - There's no such thing as false labor. Some contractions brings the baby out; others start and then rest, but they're still working. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! =)
B - I've heard second babies are harder to tell when baby-producing-labor starts. You have more BHC, contractions come and go more, and since your uterus knows what it's doing, hopefully it's less painful.
Some things to try: if you're up and about, try resting; if you're resting, get up and about. Eat. Drink. Take a shower. Repeat. If things keep going, then you're more likely to be in baby-producing labor. =) But stop-and-start labors happen. It's just that much less to do later. =)
Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for repyling. My edd is 2/08 but i was never sure when I conceived it was verified by U/S. I am still having pains that come and go. I have the regular bh and the regular menstrual like pains I usualy have because of my irratated uterus : but I also have low back pain and what feels like actual contractions. But they just very a lot. They get regular and then back down. I keep thinking my body is just trying to figure out how to labor without pitocin. I've been trying to just keep telling myself that by the time the babe comes my uterus will have to work less or whatever. I can hope anyway
Old 01-22-2006, 01:24 AM

I am a first-timer and while I haven't had any contractions as close as six minutes apart like you other guys, I have had some contractions for a few hours that come and go. Also I feel alot of lower pelvic pressure that seems to come and go and can be painful. Is this just baby putting pressure on the cervix? Last Monday I was 80% effaced... is this sensation effacement, do you think? (I'm due 2/10 btw.)
Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 AM

I was wondering the same thing about the pelvic pressure. It really hurts!!! I almost swear this lil girl has teeth already and keeps biting me! Last Wednesday I was 75% effaced and 2 cm dialated.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 PM

I read in Ina May's book that it's more common to have "false" labor with subsequent babies, so you're definitely not alone! And like MelissaEvans said, there's really not such a thing as it being "false." It's all work that our bodies are doing to prepare! I haven't had anything regular yet, but I cannot believe the intensity of some of the contractions that hit me. Every time one hits (2-3 times a day) it gets me looking at the clock thinking, "better note the time, that might have been the first one...". But then an hour later I realize, nope, wasn't after all.

The pressure y'all mentioned is there as well. When I go to the bathroom, there is a round head-shape bulging out from my vagina/bottom. I mean, seriously, how on earth are my pelvic muscles and cervix holding the baby in when it's that low? Amazing.

I'm already tired of thinking "any time now, any time"!

Carol
Old 01-22-2006, 03:20 PM

I've been having warm up labor for weeks (this is number three baby for us).

I like to also look at all contractions as "real" labor, just that I am not at the point of pushing out the baby.

I have been walking around four centimeters dilated, which is fine with me to go about life, relatively painlessly, and getting that early work done at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, I am sooooooo over being preggers right now!

But it's all good!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to my dr Friday and she checked me, now I know that all the wonderful labor crap I have been having was nothing. At least that is how it feels. I'm maybe dilated 1/2 cm that is it and from what she can tell the baby isn't even in my pelvis area yet. It doesn't explain some of the pressure I have what else could it be but the baby?? Very frustrating. I know she will come when she comes but man oh man did I just feel like bawling I was disapointed. I wish I hadn't of let her check. I was just too curious. Now I feel like all the pain I am having is for no reason and maybe the "real" contractions I swear feel real to me aren't. I am doubting my ability to tell and I am scared that it will affect my birth plan, and how I hope to birth... oh this sucks I don't like doubting myself and my body, especially since I just starting trusting it and really relying on my instincts. I know they are just doubts, but I read doubts can really affect you when you go into labor.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Rose, I also had pre-labor contractions this time which I never had with my other two...with them, when I had contractions come regularly enough to time them it was the real deal and I had a baby that day. This time I had my "false alarm" two full days before the real active labor began, and it was confusing and a little embarassing for me, too. When contractions began again two days later, for several hours I was unsure if it was another "false alarm" or gearing up to active labor...but I did reach a point where my instincts kicked in and I knew THIS was IT. So will you, I'm sure.

Also, please don't feel discouraged that you weren't dilated much at that exam - that does NOT mean that the contractions you have been having weren't doing anything. Did the doc mention whether your cervix was effacing or softening? The contractions very well could have been working on those things, or even on getting the baby positioned better in preparation for the birth...dilating your cervix is only ONE of several things that contractions accomplish, and being only 1/2 cm dilated means nothing. I was 1 cm with no signs of impending labor 2 days before my first baby was born. With my second, I was 3-4 cm for 2 or 3 weeks before he was born. Dilation only tells you where your cervix is at that exact moment - it does not tell you when your baby will come or how quickly you will continue to dilate. s
Old 01-23-2006, 02:25 AM

Hang in there Rose! Those contractions are doing lots, just like danav said! I know it is hard but try not to get to hung up on that 1/2 cm. As far as baby not being in your pelvis area, this is also not neccesarily a sign of anything. With my dd she stayed high even during labor, she was not at a negative station until I was 9 cm dilated! I know the last days/weeks can be long! You will get there though!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:46 AM

I agree with the previous posts - those contractions definitely *are* doing something! I think of it like any other sort of exercise, the more you use muscles, the stronger and more efficient at their jobs they become. So your uterus is "getting in shape"! Hang in there! Won't be long.

Carol
Old 01-23-2006, 04:12 AM

threads like these are why i love these forums

Old 01-23-2006, 09:29 PM

I love these threads too! Contractions are contractions, and no matter if it seems like they aren't changing your cervix, they are accomplishing a lot more than you think!!! It won't be long now!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanx everyone for your supportive words. I'm just frustrated and a little sick of all the 3rd trimester stuff. Before long I will have my babe in my arms and all the frustration will be a distant memory

User Tag List