Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In our Bradley childbirth classes, our instructor really emphasized that we shouldn't get caught up in how dilated we are at ANY stage of the pregnancy/labor waiting game. It is less likely, but possible to go from 1 to 10 in a couple of hours (now those would be some heavy-duty contractions, though!) Our instructor even encouraged us not to get checked the last few weeks of pregnancy because it just introduces more bacteria into your vagina/cervix and even if you were 3 or 4 cm right now, you could stay there for a month.
The only thing the exam tells you is where you're at RIGHT NOW - not where you'll be in a day or a week or two weeks. The odds are very high that you will go into labour before the OB's deadline date, and even then, you can push to have a non-stress test done and wait another day or two. In the mean time, have lots of sex, go walking at the mall, visualize your body opening up, try not to stress out about it - that can slow things down - and if you get a little closer to the deadline and start feeling desperate, you can try nipple stimulation either by yourself, with your partner, or using a breast pump.
Okay, and wait a minute - I just noticed your sig line. Your due date isn't for more than another two weeks! Mine is on 2/8, and although I'm with hospital midwives, they'll easily let me go two weeks over the estimated due date. If you're having a normal, healthy pregnancy, it is insane to want to induce BEFORE your due date. Are there other medical issues involved?
And, all that said, I was just saying to my husband last night that I wish I were in labor right now. I'm tired of being huge and uncomfortable and the constant reflux and my fingers are swollen and I can't sleep blah blah blah. And I really want to meet my new baby, and I'm excited, though a little nervous, about experiencing labour for the first time (DD was scheduled c-section for breech). So I know how you feel about wanting to see some progress. I let my midwife do a vaginal exam a couple of weeks ago because she had to do a swab for the Group B Strep and I was a little curious. She said my cervix was nice and soft, but still so high up she couldn't reach it to tell if there was any dilation. I'm going back tomorrow, and I don't think we'll do a vaginal exam then - partly because I'll have my toddler with me, and partly for the reasons I stated above.
Sorry if I've missed something important about your story in another thread, but if you're willing to share additional information about why they want to induce so soon, it might help us support you better!