Info about ECV????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got back from my doctor and just heard some disappointing news that our baby has just flipped around in a breech position, which is apparently very unusual at 38 weeks. my doctor has suggested accupuncture, cold veggies on the upper tummy and music near the bottom and various exercises. if she doesn't flip back next week, then he talked about the possibility of a manual version (ECV). He said it is a very aggressive procedure and can make the baby's hear rate increase or decrease rapidly. Does anyone know anything about this? What are the negs and positives?

I would love love LOVE any advice, stories, info you guys have!

thank you!!!!!!!!!

diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 PM

no advice here....but i got the same news today at 36 weeks.....apparently she has been breech for weeks and they just decided to confirm and tell me today......i dont like what i read about ECV online, not a great success rate, risks for mom and baby....and the baby may just flip themselves back again......at this point i dont think i am going to do it....i will try some of the tips i have seen to try to turn her......at this point i am trying to find happy c-section stories...........

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Old 01-30-2006, 11:10 PM

I have a friend who had a big healthy 9lb 5 oz boy who was breech up until 38 weeks. The midwives tried to flip him through ECV TWICE with no success. They went to an ob, he literally poked her one time and over the baby flipped right over
He was born 9 days later, vaginally.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM

My little brother flipped breech at 41 weeks. I guess it's uncommon, but not unheard of.

A friend of mine looked into ECV and found it frightening. She read that, in some cases, babies come out bruised from the proceedure. Ouch!

I've heard of people sticking a small flashlight inside a condom and inserting it in the vagina. The hope is that the baby will be curious of the light and turn around to see where it's coming from.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
Old 02-01-2006, 03:23 AM

I had an ECV done with my last child at 38 weeks. And yes, everything you read about it is correct. It most certainly is an aggressive procedure and not worth doing, IMO, if you've tried every single other method to get baby to turn. My baby came out bruised, and my own belly was bruised. I had a c-section. I wouldn't go through the procedure again if you paid me. All I can say is that having your belly squished on and manipulated in that manner hurt much worse than giving birth.

I would go with all of those other techniques your o.b. recommended and also definitely try finding a chiro who is certified in doing the Webster technique. I believe you can find one through I.C.P.A or something. (Sorry, no link.)

Finally, know that some babies are meant to be in the position for whatever reason and some babies will not turn no matter what you do. If I were in that situation again, I would birth the baby vaginally anyway. If my ob weren't supportive of this, I would change to someone (midwife?) who was. It's worth it when you consider the alternative of having a c-section.

Good luck, mama.

hang.gif  

Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM

I don't know about ECV but my daughter was suppose to have been head down two days before I went into labor yet she was born breech by emergancy c-section.
I can tell you I had a good c-section experience in that there was no complications and my DD was never taken out of any room I was in.In fact they had me hold her as they wheeled me into recovery and I was able to Breastfeed her with in an hour of her being born. And she has yet to let go.
Her favorites my left side and she tells my baby brother can have the right when he comes out.

Most people tell me she couldn't have moved at that point but she was always a mover in the womb.

Stay strong and listen to your instincts is the best advice I can give.

User Tag List