how do u know if the baby has flipped??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-31-2006, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i didnt know she was breech, i knew she felt different from ds, but i did not know she was breech, so how would i know if she flipped - i am afraid if i get her to flip and dont realize it and keep doing things to try to get her to flip then she will flip back up to breech.....maybe a silly worry but oh well............

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 AM

I could tell when the baby was moving. it felt different than other movements. There was also a time when the baby was tranverse and just by looking at me it was clear the baby was in an "odd" postion. I had no idea that the baby was head down when we had an ultrasound done last Monday, but I haven't felt the same kind of movement since so I am hoping that the baby will stay head down.
so that is my very limited experience.
#3 of 5 Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM

I have the same concern, martinshockeymom!!!

I just learned on monday that baby girl fliiped to a breech position at 38weeks and have been doing all sorts of things since to try to get her to flip. I just got back from acupuncture and i THINK she may have flipped (felt strange movement) but won't know for sure until i go back to the doc on monday, so do i continue with the home exercises and practices i've been doing or should i stop? if she has flipped to a head down, i don't want her to flip back by doing all these exercises. I totally empathize with you!!!!!

for me, her foot was (or maybe still is) sitting in my vagina so i would be left with these AWFUL sharp shooting pains in my vagina and through my stomach. I haven't felt those pains in a day or so, so hopefully, she has flipped. It's so hard to tell- positive thinking, music and love will hopefully turn her on her own. I am definately not into having my doc do a manual version, i'll let her flip on her own.

I hope she turns for you! Keep us posted!
#4 of 5 Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 PM

This babe was breech around 36/37 weeks and flipped back just before 37 weeks. I had taken pulsatilla for two days and had been doing some of the knee/chest exercises and then just had a sense that the babe had turned transverse.

When the head was up, there was just one hard lump at the top and during movement it felt distinctly like a head butt to the ribs. When the babe flipped transverse it felt like the babe was totally across the top of my belly and I didn't notice as many kicks down low.

Now that the babe has settled head down there are more smaller parts up top...one being the butt and I think the others are from time to time side of hip/thigh/knee. I think the easiest way for me to tell was to poke about a little bit when the babe was moving. The upper movements have more of a popcorn popping quality (though I suppose that depends on the activity level of the particluar babe!).

As soon as I got the sense that this babe had flipped out of breech, I did stop doing any of the turning exercises----not because it was recommended, but just intuition. I did, however, start focusing on posture --especially while sitting --leaning forward, sitting on birth ball, etc.

After discussing the ECV with the mw before I knew that the babe was back head down, I was also leaning against not doing it for the lower success rate and potential complications. I think I only might have opted for it if the babe was more transverse and had less way to go to flip to vertex.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Here is a link to an article for a technique called Belly Mapping

You may also be able to tell from your baby's movements (kicks high instead of low, feeling hickups down instead of up)

On a side note, you may want to consider having an ultrasound if your practitioner still thinks baby is breech before scheduling a c-section....just in case they are wrong and baby is head down!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page