Belly casting! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am soo excited! Our doulas are going to do a belly cast on me for us this weekend - tomorrow, in fact. Gotta say, I'm a bit nervous though in all of my excitement. Have any of you ever done one. Is is cold? Hard to sit there? Weird having plaster put on your naked torso?
#2 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 PM

We did mine standing up, and I got really ligthheaded when ti started to get heavy. meh.

Be sure that you get ALL your tummy hair coverd in vaseline or jelly or what have you. It HURTS when it comes time to take off if you miss a spot..
Lets just say I got to practice my labor techniques.

We did ours nude outside in the sun with warm water, so I felt great.
#3 of 6 Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 PM

We did one my 1st pregnancy.

I sat in a folding chair that we put in the bathtub & DH applied the stuff. I think we may have put the space heater on in the bathroom to keep me warm.

It was fun, though I have to admit it has been sitting in a box in the attic since then :
#4 of 6 Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 AM

I have to second the suggestion to use gobs of vaseline(or other non-petroleum based lubricant). Dh did mine for me when I was pg w/dd, and I sat on the couch on a pile of towels. Let's just say I lost a lot of hair when it started to dry. Mine is also sitting in a box in my attic. It has been fun though to try on this pregnancy to see how my belly has differed from my last pregnancy. It is such a different shape!
#5 of 6 Old 02-04-2006, 12:24 AM

We did one at 34 weeks or so during my second pregnancy. DH is not artistic at ALL and isn't particularly sentimental, so I wasn't even sure he'd be willing to help me (I had actually asked a friend if she might help me do it!)...but one evening he said he was willing. He did a great job! He casted my entire belly and chest, making the top look like a tank top up onto my shoulders. I don't remember it being uncomfortable - I just sat on a stool in the kitchen with a plastic drop cloth on the floor under where we were working. I do remember the vasoline being really hard to wash off afterwards, though - I wonder if olive oil or something like that would work better?? Anyway, it turned out great...when Noah was born I put his little footprints right on the belly.

I meant to get it out and try it on during this last pregnancy, but I forgot!
#6 of 6 Old 02-04-2006, 01:51 AM

My friends are throwing me a blessingway next Saturday and might be doing a bellycast. I'll remember about the vaseline and all that.

hang.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page