Starting to freak out!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
Don't know why it didn't really hit me until today when I was having a nice, relaxed conversation with our doula about the birth that my brain finally clicked...BIRTH!! What?! Coming so soon?! You mean contractions and IVs and placentas and umbilical cords and burning rings of my vagina?! ACK!

OMG, it was like I had been sailing along, forgetting what it was like last time, which was a horrific emergency c-section. Hoping for a VBAC this time, but truly, honestly, what I am hoping for is for a nice elf to come down and put me to sleep and when I wake up, I will have a cute, cuddly baby. You think I'm insane, don't you? Okay, maybe it doesn't have to be an elf, but you get the idea.

I realize that at MDC most mothers are much stronger, for lack of a better word, when it comes to birth than terrible chickens like me. I don't think I've even seen a thead here about that eensy teensy bit of anxiety that everyone must have, right? I know it's a wonderful experience...blah, blah, blah...but aren't you just a little stressed????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 AM

I have been having a lot of my own fears, too. But I try not to get too overwhelmed and out of my head about it. My sister said, that once "you go there" it's hard to come back, especially in labor! The best thing i've read and continue to tell myself is TRUST IN YOUR BODY. I've never been through this myself, but I must trust in the process, and all of the mothers that have come before me.

I think it is important to acknowledge the fear and then let it go....

good luck, and be strong!

sherri
#3 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 AM

Don't worry about being a wimp.
I had a homebirth last time and this time I'm delivering at the hospital.
I fully intend on asking for the epidural if I feel like I can't hack it.
If anyone calls you a wimp, you can just point at me.

DS 6 DD 8
#4 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
OK, yes, definitely. I've been pretty good so far thinking about it "in the future" but tonight I've been having serious ctx for a few hours, diarrhea, really strong pressure...and I'm trying not to freak out. I'm still in denial about the whole baby coming out of me again thing...but we'll see what the next few hours brings! I'm going to try to go to sleep for a while at least!

Sleepy mom of two (DS-11, DD-8). 4 lost: 9/2004, 3/2005, 3/2013, 8/2014. BFP! due 6/26/15- maybe ectopic, maybe not viable. Waiting.
#5 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiJeanne
:
Don't know why it didn't really hit me until today when I was having a nice, relaxed conversation with our doula about the birth that my brain finally clicked...BIRTH!! What?! Coming so soon?! You mean contractions and IVs and placentas and umbilical cords and burning rings of my vagina?! ACK!
I had a moment of panic similar to yours when I was about 8 or 8.5 months pg with Dd2, in fact, I had many contractions & couldn't stop shaking because I was freaking out!! Fortunately, labor was so quick & easy......SO MUCH easier than the first labor! ITA with the PP who said "once you go there" you'll be fine.

Just let your monkey do it .

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 9 Old 02-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Don't know if this helps or not, but this last birth was my fourth and I was so totally freaked out about it!!! When it actually came time to push I asked them to take me to the hospital, put me to sleep and just hand me my baby when it was all done!! LOL Then, I actually refused to push during a couple pushing contractions!! I just wanted her to fall out. I was THAT scared of the pain. My labor was so slow though, the contractions weren't very painful until I had to push. Pushing took all of about 30 seconds (once I decided to do it!!) and that was the only pain I had.

You can do this!!! Can you figure out what it is you're afraid of? Sounds like your previous birth was pretty hard. In my case, my third had a shoulder dystocia and I was terrified that would happen again. (((hugs))) And, post here during labor - I know coming to the computer and seeing the encouraging messages when I started to get down or scared really helped me!!
#7 of 9 Old 02-06-2006, 01:01 AM

I think that it is completly normal to have times where you are freaked out about various aspects of birth. I have moments where I am excited and can't wait, and times when I get nervous about my ability to cope with labor. I just try and honor what I am feeling and work to let it go and trust my body. Sometimes that is hard for me to do, but eventually I move past it.

I remember with dd at about 38 weeks I decided having her inside was really not that bad! Thinking about the realities of newborns and birth was just to much!

You can do it!
#8 of 9 Old 02-06-2006, 02:58 AM

i just wanted to add that i feel a lot better after reading "Birthing from Within". It deals with a lot of labor fears and encourages doing artwork as a form of releasing your fears...

i felt empowered reading from it today..i feel my little one getting ready!

sherri
#9 of 9 Old 02-06-2006, 01:27 PM

I've been freaking out too. I had a hard labor with ds and have been afraid of having to repeat the experience. I was talking to dh about it the other day. He ran track and field in college and he said that his coach told them that they weren't ready to run until they felt nervous. Otherwise your still in denial of the work ahead. I think that makes a lot of sense. Being afraid forces you to confront the issues that are bothering you so you can start to work through them. I also suggest reading "Birthing From Within". It has really helped me deal with my fears.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page