Anybody thinking names yet?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 100 Old 10-31-2005, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I saw this name thread on the main boards and couldn't resist reading. I LOVE names. I hope to be pg soon, so I have names on the brain all the time

There are so many great ideas in this thread!

Here are some names that jumped out at me:

Ayla (according to www.behindthename.com this means 'moonlight' in Turkish - I love it!)

Taliesin (I am SO picky with boys names. This one really stood out to me and dh likes it too. yay! -- The meaning of my ds' name also refers to light so that's a nice connection, too.)

To the mama looking for Japanese/ Buddhist names -- we are Buddhist too, and meanings are very important to us. If you'd like to know my ds' name, PM me. I love Japanese names. (My ds' name is a Sanskrit name which is easy to pronounce in many languages -- we are an international family as well.)

Good luck with finding names mamas! Love your choices
#62 of 100 Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM

ps. Another great site is www.babynamer.com

It lists thousands of names with meanings, along with perceptions and surveys of names.
#63 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 PM

We've only picked a gir;'s name and I'm obsessed with it!!! Liliana Marie!!!
#64 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 01:39 PM

I love Liliana Marie! Will you call her Lily? I love the book "Lillys Purple Plastic Purse" and have often thought of naming our girl Lilly!
#65 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Daniel Thomas for a boy, undecided for a girl...

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#66 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
We have agreed on a girls name- Siena Brooks. As for the boy, we are totally undecided. I like Brooks as a first name for a boy (it's my maiden name) but DH doesn't. Strange as it is, we both like the name Fred for a girl... but realistically wouldn't do that to her. I still like Fred for a boy (it was my grandfathers name), but DH is undecided. I'm hoping I can convince him and we'll go with Fredrick James for a boy.
I knew a Brooks(boy). He was the sweetest, most kind guy I have really ever met. Oh and he was SO HANDSOME it wasnt funny. I love it as a guys name now
#67 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM

For a boy Dominic (no middle name yet.)
For a girl Avery Blythe.

My kids so far are: Zachary Joseph, Brandon Michael, and Madison Heidi.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#68 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM

I love everyone's name choices. We aren't being very creative and are using family names, one from each side:

Girl choices:
Celestina Rose (prnounced Chelestina)
Talia Delphine
Madonna Rose (dh really likes Madonna, which is my mothers name, but I don't know...)
Alessandra Marie...

Boy choices:
Domenico Tomas
Alessandro Emanuele
Giacomo Andres
Patricio Michele

Ds name is Marius Vasco. I guess we're pretty focused on the italian side of the family, but may consider irish names as well.
#69 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarose
)Talia Delphine

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#70 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 PM

thanks, Talia Delphine is my top choice but there are a few problems with that name, specifically, who the girl would be named after... mil's sil (dh's aunt), and I know it would cause a big upset with my mil. But, why let her insecurities rule our life? My own mother would think though that I named the baby after this dear aunt on purpose so that perhaps, mil would never talk to us again...
#71 of 100 Old 11-03-2005, 04:08 PM

ell-bell: thank you so much!!! I LOVED the name Lily and I wanted the middle name to be Anne like mine, but bf is Mexican and wanted a hispanic name so I did some research and we compromised with Liliana!!!! I will definitely call her Lily,kinda already do We wanted to pick out a just in case boy's name, too, but nothing compares now haha
#72 of 100 Old 11-04-2005, 12:15 PM

I love the name Talia (one of my favorite fantasy characters), but it doesn't quite go with our last name.

What does everyone think about Aidan? Is it too close to Aaron (ds's name)? I like the idea of using an Irish name since our last name's Irish.. although Aaron isn't Irish! It's a boy's name both dh and I like. I know it's kind of getting popular, but #40 on the list isn't TOO popular, is it? Although, it means "little fiery one" and I'm a little leery of the challenge of parenting a child with that name, lol!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#73 of 100 Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

I know someone who just named their son Aidan...LOVE it!!

#74 of 100 Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 PM

It was so fun to read everyone's favorite names. RedOakMomma, I love your final choices.

Some of my faves are :

girls - Cara, Kyra, Sara, Maren, Jordan, Julia, Lea, Lora, Jane

boys - Gabriel, Evan, Isaac, Luke, Dylan, James, Shea
#75 of 100 Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Aiden is a lovely name (it's James' middle name ), but it is getting very popular. Aiden and Aden and Adyn are all spellings I've seen on the popularity charts. I think it's still unusual enough that you could use it-- or if you want something similar but much less used, how about Hadyn, Hayden, or Haiden?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#76 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 AM

Giarose, Talia and Celeste also made it onto our short list! =)

We finally went through a list of names yesterday and found several we both liked, then spent some time putting them together into name combinations to hear what sounded good. No final decisions yet.
#77 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
Giarose, Talia and Celeste also made it onto our short list! =)
I like Celeste. Somewhere in my mind, there's a children's book with a friendly elephant named Celeste...does anyone know what this is? Maybe Babar?

Along the same lines is Camille. I like it, but my husband doesn't like either one, Celeste or Camille. Our last name is decidely ungraceful, so its hard to find something that goes just right.
#78 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM

ahwuko: After Babar became king he married his childhood sweetheart Celeste and he built the town of Celesteville to honor her... um, I like Babar... but really, if we choose Celestina it would be for my great grandmother, not Babar's wife...

I love the names Camille or Camilla. I've only known a guy named Camille (he was Morrocan), but I think it's often used as a girls name here in the U.S.

our last names aren't a problem (Gulino and Talentino), since we're Italian, so Celestina or Talia would go well, but we'd have to call Talia, Talia and not Tali (like my Aunt), because Tali Talentino is a bit too much, I think... Celestina we would call Celi (Chelly). The only problem we forsee with that name is that people would pronounce it a la espanol here in TX.

But dh still likes the name Madonna for a girl. What do y'all think?
#79 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM

Sorry, as a child of the 80s I can't think of Madonna without mentally adding "Material Girl."

Thinking of it in the other context, well, the mother of Christ would be hard to live up to for anyone... which is maybe why the Material Girl chose the path she did???

But, I suppose you could call her Maddie or Donna for short.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#80 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Camille, Celeste, and Cecile are some of my favorite girl names...they're just so *beautiful* without being frilly-sounding.

Re: Madonna....I think people in our generation will automatically think "material girl," but in your daughter's generation I don't think Madonna will carry that same cultural connection. I mean, isn't Madonna almost 50? Britney would probably be a more troublesome name in that respect. I think she could grow up without the 80's pop music connection---the same way girls named "Marilyn" today aren't automatically connected with Marilyn Monroe, etc. Madonna is an unusual name, though (at least in most cirlces), so she probably will always have *some* people reminding her of the 80s pop star.

Unusual names are great, though!

#81 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 PM

Since finding out I'm having a boy. I've had trouble picking out the baby's name. So far I have:

Nicolas Alexander
Alexander Wesley
William Alexander
Alexander William
or
Aaron Alexander.

What do you think??? I need all the help I can get
#82 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 10:02 PM

William Alexander

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#83 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

I agree

#84 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 11:36 PM

I like Alexander William or William Alexander.

honeybee and RedOakMomma: thanks for your thoughts re: Madonna. When I hear Madonna I think of my mother first, of course, but she mostly goes by Donna. And no kidding, that is a big name to live up to, in terms of the mother of Christ. Which may explain a lot about my own mother... I do like the idea of calling a little girl Maddie, though. we won't know what we're having until I give birth, and then we'll decide on a name once we see him/her. I can't wait!! Only 21 more weeks (or so...)!
#85 of 100 Old 11-07-2005, 11:47 PM

Butterfly Kiss~

Put me down as 1 vote for Nicolas Alexander!!

#86 of 100 Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrutledge
For a boy the only name we have agreed on is Hopper. I love Hopper but dh is just ok with it. For a girl we are even further apart. Dh likes Harper for a girl and I like Sage. I like the name Harper. However, I know a Harper and would just feel kind of weird using the name. I also like the name Timber for a girl. I love the name Finn for either but dh is not into it. Last time we didn't choose a middle name until we were in labor.
I ADORE the name Harper for a girl and my DS's name is Quinn, which I totally love, but I almost wish that we'd thought of Finn while we were pregnant with him. It's awesome! A girl's name I like that you might too is Piper. I love it but I can't talk DH into it!

Our girl's name is set: Lydia Jane (Lydia for my beloved aunt and Jane for SIL). Boy's name is still in flux. We know the middle name is Caesar--a family name--and right now the first name is Zachary. Zach. We both like it well enough, but don't love it.
#87 of 100 Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM

I also love the name Piper but can't talk my husband into it. At this point I do believe our girls name is Harper. However, it is becoming a little more popular than I like. I recently fell in love with the name Xander for a boy but again dh doesn't care for it
#88 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 01:23 AM

You all are going to think I'm crazy, and maybe it's just the hormones ragin', but my very favorite boy's name right now is Huck. As in Huckleberry. I just think it's such a cool, strong name. Hubby laughs me out of the room every time I bring it up though and reminds me of all the bad things that rhyme with Huck. I don't care. I still love it!

A good way to find out what names are popular in your area is to cruise your local hospital's web site. Ours posts the first names and pictures of all the new babies (if the parents choose to include them). Not scientific at all, but it's fun to see what people around here are naming the babes!
#89 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 AM

wow! so many cool names. i think the names we have chosen are:

Noemi Isabela for a girl, Emmy for short. (DD is Abigail Iliana- Abby)

Benjamin Alfredo for a boy (DHs name is Alfredo, my dad is Alfred, DHs dad was Alfredo)

all our names choices have to sound good in english and spanish, so it can be hard. there are so many nice names we can't use from both sides due to pronunciation issues.

i am really liking noemi though. several people have had trouble pronouncing it. what do you guys think when you see it? even after i say it. i just don't get it.
#90 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm
Butterfly Kiss~

Put me down as 1 vote for Nicolas Alexander!!
that's my first choice as well, then William Alexander.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page