Anybody thinking names yet?? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nurse
Noemi Isabela for a girl, Emmy for short. (DD is Abigail Iliana- Abby)
Pronounced "noEMMY"? That's how I read it. It's gorgeous! And Emmy and Abby sound really good together!
#92 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwood mama
Pronounced "noEMMY"? That's how I read it. It's gorgeous! And Emmy and Abby sound really good together!
yes! exactly. i even had a co-worker say that it will cause problems with pronunciation her whole life?? i am like say "no" + "emmy" pretty simple. just making sure it wasn't just me.
#93 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 AM

I would have said "No-AMY", or, I had a friend who pronounced it "No-Ay-ME".

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#94 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nurse
yes! exactly. i even had a co-worker say that it will cause problems with pronunciation her whole life?? i am like say "no" + "emmy" pretty simple. just making sure it wasn't just me.
Well, from someone who works with kids, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a name on my schedule that I have no idea how to start with, and I go out to the waiting room and give it my best try, and I get an seriously evil look from the parents, like I'm supposed to know how to say it from reading it when it has like 15 extra letters and its actually just Kylie. I say, if it has a regular spelling, consider using it! But if its a unique name, then I guess you would have to deal with the occasional person saying it wrong or asking your daughter how to pronounce it. I usually say it and then ask "Did I get that right?" or "Can you tell me how to say your name so I get it right for the next time?"
#95 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 02:56 PM

i have had people say the no-amy, still not sure why. it is just like emma, emily, emmy.

there is no other spelling, since it is a variation of naomi and we don't like that as much. i don't mind people messing up the name. i worked in a pediatricians office for 3 years and know the feeling of looking at a name and having no idea how to say it. i won't get mad if someone says it wrong. maybe i should do a poll...
#96 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 PM

The no-amy is the Hispanic pronunciation.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#97 of 100 Old 11-11-2005, 10:39 PM

So, we have come pretty close to picking a name yet, though we are not sharing it with anyone we know and will likely keep it a surprise until March. Still, I've been dying to get opinions. For full effect, I will reveal that my MDC login is my last name and will be child's last name. Would love to know what you think!

Aaron Ezekial ("Zeke" for short)

DH's name is Aaron and "Zeke" would be in memory of DH's brother. Sometimes I feel absolutely decided, but then I wonder what people impression people have of "Zeke's".

Kam: Would love to hear what names you decide on. My family is Japanese American and Hana/e was on the short list for a girl. Would like to pick names that transliterate into Japanese easily but it doesn't look like we are headed that way.
#98 of 100 Old 11-12-2005, 12:38 AM

My husband and I have decided on Seamus (pronounced Shaymus) Hamza'Ali ... little irish and arabic mix!
#99 of 100 Old 11-12-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs Mom
The no-amy is the Hispanic pronunciation.
my husband is mexican from mexico and he says no-emy. he even said it when i wrote had written down my idea of either noemi isabela or noemi lucia. the only question i have had from hispanic friends is if i am going to pronounce it noEMi or noeMI. i guess we will just have to take the chance of having to correct people forever if this is a girl. will be a non-issue with our boys name.
#100 of 100 Old 11-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
I say, if it has a regular spelling, consider using it!
Yeah -- I chose a unique spelling for my own name when I was twelve, and I've kept it (Maggi). But I also have a last name that NOBODY can spell OR pronounce correctly. We are choosing names that cannot be mispronounced and have no alternate spellings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page