Anybody thinking names yet?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 07-01-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I promise I'll stop being a postaholic soon....right now I'm still so excited about the news of being pregnant that it's all I think about! Once morning sickness really starts I'm sure my posting will slow to a snail's pace.

Anyway, is anyone thinking of names? Could we start sharing? I think we have our girl name set, but we need some inspiration when it comes to boys' names.

For a girl we like Nora Bronwyn. For a boy we're thinking Noah Atticus (we love the character Atticus Finch), but we're still very unsure.

Some of the girl names we've liked are: Adrienne, Sylvia, Clara, Adeline, Myra, Irene, Abigail, Beatrice, Gillian, Willa, Emmaline, Celeste, Corinne, Cecile, Faye, and Anwyn/Anwen. We're saving the name Evelyn for our future adopted baby from China.

For boys: Walter, Isaac, Silas, Maxwell, David, Colum, Sawyer, Nolan, Warren, Simon, Henry, Elijah, Alec, Quinlan, Elliot, Jude, Nevan, Ronan, Callum, and Jonah.

Dh has a very Irish last name, so we're trying to stay with Irish/English names. We wouldn't mind giving a girl a very unusual name (Nora isn't that unusual, but it's still not -too- popular). For boys, though, my husband likes more "normal" sounding names, like Noah. Not top 20 normal, but at least in the top 100. Anyone else here have a (name) conservative Dh or partner?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 100 Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 PM

ooh names, my almost favorite thing to do.
My ds1 name is Mackenzie Renel, my dd2 name is Jasmine Michelle. for this baby if its a girl we are thinking Erica Rene, but no boy names yet.
who's next this is fun.
#3 of 100 Old 07-01-2005, 02:57 PM

We haven't talked about names yet....when I was pg with my 2 ds's we had Hannah Mary for a girl, and I still like that...we also had Molly & Olivia on the list when I was pg with dd. Now I'm thinking I also like Madeline. I love Abigail, but dh doesn't. For a boy I really don't know....last time (with dd) we had Samuel on the list, but dh doesn't seem to like that anymore. I like Caleb, Colin and Connor. Guess we have to start talking about names, lol!

Sarah

Mommy to Nathaniel, Ethan & Emily
Expecting a New bundle of Joy 3/6/06!!
#4 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Aw, yes. I haven't even started thinking about names. It was a nightmare last time around because dh and I disagreed about every single name. It came birth time and we still didn't have a girl's name, and a tentative first name for a boy. I love unusual names, dh loves common names.

I'm partial to Colin, since it's my son's name. It's a great English name. But, I made my husband swear right after finding out I was pg that we were NOT going to discuss names with anybody for fear of negative comments!

Aly
How do you do a signature?
#5 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 12:17 AM

Okay, I don't know what happened, but I just posted a reply to this thread and it ate it, trying again....

Had a terrible time picking names since dh likes normal names and I love unusual names. Last time we didn't have a girl's name picked out and were tentatively agreed on a boy's first name. This time around, we're not mentioning any potential names to anybody, for fear of negative feedback.

I'm partial to the name Colin (pronounced Collin, not like Colin Powell). It's a good English name too. :LOL

Aly
#6 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
We wouldn't mind giving a girl a very unusual name (Nora isn't that unusual, but it's still not -too- popular). For boys, though, my husband likes more "normal" sounding names, like Noah. Not top 20 normal, but at least in the top 100. Anyone else here have a (name) conservative Dh or partner?
My preference is names not in the top 100 (although if I really love it, I could deal with 50-100 or so) but still spellable and recognizable.

I was surprised last time to realize that Peter was number #145 or so--there are a lot more Peters age 25 and older than little kids.

Our favorite girl's names are Eleanor (Nora for short--I really laughed when I read your post, Elizabeth!) and Maren. My current favorite boy's name is Leo William (William is a family name).

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#7 of 100 Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Oh my.... I have quite a large list that I've been compiling for some time now. I know that my dh will not even start discussing names with me until we find out what we're having (he wouldn't last time). So I can just daydream about it until then.

Here's my list:

GIRLS
Sasha
Sadie
Simone
Nicolette
Jade
Isabel
Angelina
Lily/Lilliana
Veronica
Cecily
Scarlett
Sarah
Ivy
Vivian
Vanessa
Dominique
Melanie
Grace
Tasha
Violet
Tabitha
Alexa
Iris

BOYS
Jackson
Nicholas
Trey
Zachary
Tristin
Max
Andrew
Conner
Jonah
Spencer
Samuel
Jordan
Aleksander
Christopher

I think I'm going to have a hard time narrowing it down. My favorite boys name right now is Jackson and my favorite girls name (at the moment) is Veronica.

Can't wait to hear what names the rest of you like!

Jill
#8 of 100 Old 07-04-2005, 08:41 PM

We have just a short list of names at this point. Since dh and I don't give our kids names that can be abbreviated into lots of different nicknames and we don't duplicate first initials and our boys have Biblical names, we're getting narrowed down on choices we like! :LOL

My kids are Megan Elizabeth, Adam James, Emily Jane, David Jonathan, Sarah Grace & Isaac Nathaniel.

Boy names we're contemplating are Noah, Levi, Jacob or Jonah (with middle name ideas of Daniel, Samuel, Jeremiah or Seth).

Girl names we like are Olivia, Lauren, Natalie or Hannah (with middle name ideas of Karen ~ after my dearest IRL friend, Christine, Michelle or Paige).

We're pretty "boring" when it comes to names.
#9 of 100 Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 AM

You ladies crack me up :LOL

Elisabeth, I really like Bronwyn! And thanks for posting that name site - I'm sure it will come in handy.

Anybody else keeping an "ear" out for what the baby wants to be called? Some of the names I like I get a definite "no way, you will not be calling me that!" I really like the name Lily but it sounds ridiculous with our last name. Oh well. I am fond of Izak for a boy though - but there again, no go from down below :LOL

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#10 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 03:50 PM

We still like the girls' names we picked out the first time around:

Emilia Joan (pronounced Jo Ann... my grandmother's name, I guess my great-grandma didn't know how to spell??)
Evelyn Renee (although still thinking about the middle name)

Boys names are harder. I like simple, 2-syllable names (our last name is 1-syllable) that don't invite nicknames (No tommys, bobbys, billies, johnnies, etc. My 30-year-old dh is still called Tommy by his family sometimes.. ugh). I prefer to stay away from anything too unusual for a boy.

Here's a small list I started for boys' names. The numbers are the popularity rankings for 2004. So far, dh and I both really like Aidan... but I wonder if it's too close to ds's name: Aaron. Will people always be calling them the other's name? Of course, that happened to my brothers all the time, and their names weren't similar.

I also like Braden, but is it too close to the Brendan, Brandon, Brennon thing? While I like those names, it seems like every other boy is called one of those and it gets confusing. Brandons are always being called Brendon and vice versa.

Aidan--#40 Aiden--#60
Braden--#153, Brayden--#107
Liam--#112
Sean--#65
Shane
Tyler --#16
Caleb--#33
Trevor--#109
Garrett--#114
Jared--#127
Alan--#131
Alec--#246
Jarrett--#518

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#11 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Honeybee--I like a bunch of those names. I read somewhere that Aidan went up to #3--not sure what list that was, though. I like Caleb and Liam, too.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#12 of 100 Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 PM

Yes, I thought I'd seen Aidan up much higher on another list. Maybe it was on a list that combined all the different spellings of one name? I don't know. I got those numbers from the "Behind the Names" site that was posted on another thread.

There are other names I like, but have ruled out because a member of the family or a child we know already has that name.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#13 of 100 Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 AM

I think you must be right about a combined spelling list.

Here's my favorite baby name site:
http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

#14 of 100 Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 AM

My dd's name is Sarah Emily Rose (2 middle names for the girls run in my family)
If this one is a girl, I like Gracie Anne Charlotte- Is Gracie really popular? I keep hearing it...

No clue for boys names yet!!
#15 of 100 Old 07-11-2005, 01:33 PM

You know how your memory of people with certain names colors the way you think about those names? Like, your best friend was Heather, so you like that name... and your worst enemy was Justin, so you hate that one... well, I'm a school librarian, and I have 400 kids every year. It's hard not to have EVERY name colored by that experience! =) So we'll probably end up choosing an unusual name.

I like having an unusual name (Maggi, short for Margaret). I don't know anyone else with my name.

In my family, we always give boys their father's name as their middle name. It's been that way in my paternal line for many generations.

-Maggi (still need a .sig)
#16 of 100 Old 07-12-2005, 08:49 PM

Well, I have a girl name all picked out and I am absolutely certain that THIS is the name. Trouble is, my DH isn't wild about it. But I just have this very strong feeling that this baby is a girl and that this is her name. I actually had that feeling before I was pregnant. So I am just waiting for him to come around. :LOL He doesn't hate it, but he doesn't love it either.

Oh, BTW. the name is Tamsin. We have no boy name remotely on the horizon. We had no girl name chosen with Devlin either, we just knew he was a boy.
#17 of 100 Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM

ROM you said you were looking for an irish name. Well we named our son declan which is very irish, unusual but not weird, and of course im partial to it, as its my sons name, and he suits it so. So many people here in canada have never heard it b4, so thats why i love it.

we considered last time for boys declan, zayd or aquin.

Girls
ivy (my grandmother), holly, maya, mia and so many more
#18 of 100 Old 07-22-2005, 07:13 PM

DH and i rarely agree on names. we barely agreed on abigail iliana for DD. we finally decided on a boy name, but i wasn't thrilled about it.

i am hoping we are having another girl. i kind of like anastasia, but we have an "a" name already and our last name starts with an "a", so not sure. i love benjamin for a boy, but my DH doesn't like it.

he says that i picked abby's name so he gets to pick this one's name. we agreed on it. maybe not the middle name, but still. he wanted gloria for his mom, but even she said she doesn't want us naming a baby after her, that she hates her name...
#19 of 100 Old 07-22-2005, 09:38 PM

With DD #1 we agreed on a name almost instantly and never had a second choice. Her name is Allison Caye. For a boy we had chosen Kyler.

This time we are starting the hunt with another "A" name for a girl.

So far we like Anya Kai (pronounced KI) but it is pretty similar to our daughters.

We also like Aleya (pronounced Uh-Lee-Ya)

For a boy we like Kai or maybe still Kyler.
#20 of 100 Old 07-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Banned

For a boy, we are sure we'll name him Nathaniel (Nate) Ken. For a girl, I'm torn between Anastacia and Erika. My husband likes both, lol! And I've yet to come up with middle girlie names.
#21 of 100 Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 PM

My favorite girl name is Nora, but I couldn't convince my husband last time. He thinks we should just keep the one we agreed upon last time - Madeline. I'm only so-so on it because I know about five other people who want to name their kid Madeline.

I don't know what to do about a boy name. My son has my mother's maiden name (Ryan - gee, top ten name but what're you going to do?) so I'd like to figure out something equally significant (maybe my stepfather's last name - James... but I already have two uncles named James so it's a bit weird).

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
#22 of 100 Old 07-23-2005, 12:20 PM

Oh, Ivy, what a wonderful name!
#23 of 100 Old 07-26-2005, 12:19 PM

We haven't talked much about names yet... I LOVE the name Siena for a girl (cause we LOVED the town of Siena in Italy where we went on our honeymoon) and I have always wanted to name our kid in some way after my grandparents, Fred and Ann Brooks. I like the name Brooks as either a girl or boys name. SO, here are some that I like:

Girl:
Sienna Brooks
Freddie Ann

Boy:
Fredrick James
Brooks Charles

Guess that's it! I clearly need to spend more time thinking about this! I just love,love,love Sienna Brooks, and can't think of many other girls names that I like better. :-)
#24 of 100 Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 PM

I totally have a husband like yours. Left to himself to name our kids he's have them all labelled names in the top 20. I came from a family with unusual names and I like a touch of the exotic. So, we have to compromise somewhere in the middle. So far we are having a much easier time with girl's names. We have:

Una Scarlett
or
Alanna Moon

For a boy we are a little more stuck. We like Louis Elijah pretty well, and maybe Gideon something?

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#25 of 100 Old 07-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Kam

Our challenge is a cultural/linguistic one. DH is Japanese, and our children have/will have dual citizenship, so we are on the lookout for names that 1) have a Buddhist or at least humanist meaning, and 2) can be used equally easily in both cultures/languages. That means any Japanese name with 'r' in it is out (Ryuichi becomes Luigi ). European names with 'r' also too hard the other way. Dipthongs also tough. Uggh.

So for a girl so far we've got: Hanae.

And for boys: zilch. (I love Jin and Jun, but Gin and June...nope.)

Wish us luck. We're going to need it!

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
#26 of 100 Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think we have our names pretty settled. I'm still thinking wistfully over a few names (Anwyn for a girl), and a girl's name came to me a in dream the other night (I wish I had written it down!), but for now, these are the names we love:

Boy: Noah Atticus
Girl: Nora Bronwyn

Of course, if by crazy weird luck we end up having a boy and girl twin, we won't be using those names. I have a thing against rhyme-y names.

One name I -won't- be using is a name I saw on t.v. the other day. I kid you not.....:....O'so Krispie EEK!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#27 of 100 Old 09-12-2005, 04:13 PM

I do rounds in our hospital nursery and boy do I hear some winners.

Nora is so pretty. I really like that. My husband picked out Charlotte for a girl, but that sounds so "brunette" to me. If its a blonde, I don't think it would work. So far both my blonde sisters with very brunette husbands had blonde babies so I might end up with a blondie after all.
#28 of 100 Old 09-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
My husband picked out Charlotte for a girl, but that sounds so "brunette" to me. If its a blonde, I don't think it would work.
That made me laugh, because I have a cousin named Charlotte--blonde as cornsilk. :LOL

As for OUR name choices, DH is Latvian, and we will be going with Latvian names. And since we have been together since we were 14 (and talking marriage/kids since about 16), we have had name options figured out for a LOOOOONG time. We have a similar issue to the one Kam mentioned, which is that this child will have one set of Latvian grandparents and one set of American (Irish) ones--so the names we choose have to be easily pronounceable by Americans.

Girls' names that we love: Ilze, Zane, Indra. (I LOVE the names Saulcerite and Skaidrite as well, but those are just too tough for my folks--perhaps as middle names?)

Boys' names are easier; we are almost 100% sure we will name our first son Raimonds, after a friend of ours who was killed several years ago. (My husband was also named after a family friend who had recently passed away, so it seems like somewhat of a family tradition.) Other options are Andris, or Vilnis. (And just like with girls' names, my absolute favorite boy's name is Modris--but again, too unpronounceable for my parents. Again, may become a middle name.)

P.S. Scubamom, Declan is one of my FAVORITE names! Growing up in an Irish family, Declan was one of my top picks for future children . . . but of course when I met and fell in love with DH, LOTS of my future plans changed. The baby names were just part of the process. (*grin*)
#29 of 100 Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 PM

When it comes to baby names, it's tends to be very comical (according to our friends). I don't like the traditional names, but I am still conservative, and don't like names that cause nasty nicknames, or are names that will cause the child to be teased. My bf on the other hand goes over the top. My dd's name is Tonja Marie. Marie is my mother's middle name, however I didn't pick out Tonja, when she was born she was having difficulty breathing and they took her from me and I didn't get to see her for about 2 and 1/2 hours. While they were bathing her the nurse asked her father what her name was and he told them Tonja, so that is what they put on all her forms.

When it comes to girl names, we really don't have too many problems, I think of the names I like and he goes through and agrees to the one's he likes (if he had his way it would be Persephonie or Appelonia). We've narrowed it down to:

Grace
Sophia
Belle
Ella

Boys name are much harder. We have to do it the same way, I pick out names and he agrees or doesn't (his choices are too much for me to handle ie...Cyrano, Vito, Dax). Here's all we can agree on so far

Braeden
Max

If anything when we find out what we are having we will be able to decide so we can call the baby by name.

Jess
#30 of 100 Old 09-12-2005, 09:58 PM

For a boy, I'm almost certain his first name will be Gage. As far as the middle name goes, I'm kind of at a loss. All of our other children have family names as middle names, and we're kind of running out of them. We might give him one we like- perhaps Gage Collin or Gage Bennett.

However, I have a VERY strong feeling this is another little girl. I know I want to use the name Grace (my late mother's middle name was Ann, and Ann and Grace have the same meaning), and for awhile there, I was thinking of using it as her first name. But we've been getting so much negative comments about having a sixth baby- as in people think WE are unhappy about it- that I was thinking I really want to give her a name that will tell people how very much she is wanted. So now I'm thinking of maybe Brighton Grace...as in 'she brightened our lives when she graced us with her birth"...but maybe it's too corny? And now that I think about it, Brighton could really be used for a boy too...so maybe Gage Brighton?

Good thing I have awhile to think about this, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page