Grateful to be here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-03-2005, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
After a long haul I am so grateful and thankful to be here . Once upon a time I thought pregnancy happened when you decided it was time. Now I know that's not the case for everyone.

A little of my background (I promise to only bore you with this once )
I was diagnosed with large uterine fibroids in May '02 after we had decided to ttc. I decided to take a year to attempt to shrink them via nutrition/bodywork/process work, etc. A year later I met with an oby/gyn, he was concerned about their original size and opted for a pevlic MRI to check on them vs. the ultrasound that was originally used. The fibroids were still large, shockingly large to me when I saw them - although fortunately I was relatively asymptomatic given the size. The MRI also revealed a possible bicornuate uterus. Dr. S also found that my thyroid was 2-3 times the size of normal, and bloodwork showed hashimoto's (thyroid antibodies). A thyroid ultrasound showed I had 3 small nodules that after a biopsy were determined to be benign. Mind you I have always considered myself healthy and never in a million years would've expected to see more docs in a year than I had in my entire life prior to that.

An HSG (dye injected into the uterus via the cervix followed by an xray) was done to show the inner contour of my uterus in an attempt to determine what it really looked like. Some small polyps were seen, along with a uterine cavity shaped like 2 rabbit ears. My uterus was nearly completely divided in 2 (only 8mm of conjoined uterine cavity just above my cervix) and my doc said "I've seen bicornuate uteri, but I've never seen one like this!" Yippee. Several docs and much research later I decided to do surgery to remove the fibroids and correct the uterine defect.

I found a fabulous surgeon via the internet. He was 10 hours away from us, but totally worth it. Surgery occurred 8/03, my recovery went really well. More nutrition, bodywork, etc. to get geared up for ttc. We started ttc 2/04 and were amazed when I got pregnant right away. I was stunned by the miracle. It was unfortunately short lived when I miscarried at 10 weeks the first part of April.

More nutrition/cleanses etc, etc, we started trying again 7/04. I was in the middle of a really stressful business partnership dissolution. I started having thyroid symptoms again inspite of being on synthroid. Took a 3 month break from ttc in December so I could do some intense diet/cleanse stuff, started again in March. I fired my endocrinologist in February and found a great doc 3 1/2 hours away who was willing to put me on different meds (armourthyroid) which I started the first part of March. The new med has been really helpful. My travel/teaching schedule fell smack in the middle of ovulation April and May much to our disappointment. I started acupuncture twice a week in May to support hormone balance. It appears that in June the planets aligned, the timing was right, the gods and goddesses smiled and miracle of miracles here I am

I'm continuing with the acupuncture, but she's decreased me to once a week, and if I'm doing well will back me down to every other week. My ob/gyn has put me on non-synthetic progesterone vaginal suppositories nightly for the next 10 weeks. I see my thyroid doc in a week and a half and we'll check my thyroid levels and do any tweaking as necessary. While I know there are no guarantees in pregnancy, I am hopeful and feeling good about the support I have.

In my "regular" life I'm a massage therapist and specialize in craniosacral therapy. I love what I do, and have the pleasure of working with infants, children and adults. A few months ago I took up knitting to support my sanity - I love it and look forward to branching out into baby knits.

I look forward to getting know all of you.

Oh, and my due date is beginning of March. Because of my uterine surgery I'm unfortunately not a candidate for homebirth as I had always expected, and unfortunately due to an increased risk of uterine rupture, no doc is willing to permit a trial of labor (in my personal opinion it's due to the current medical malpractice environment rather than real risk - and yes I've clocked many an hour at the local med school library hoping to convince a doc to go for a trial of labor with no luck, and I'm just not willing to go the UC route) so I will be scheduled for a c/s somewhere around 38-39 weeks. I'm hoping to push it as late as possible for lung maturity. My ob/gyn's older and been around awhile so fortunately he's fairly low key about the whole thing.

Alright, I think that's long winded enough for now

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#2 of 7 Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM

Congratulations! Best wishes with everything That's quite a story and it's so wonderful that you're pregnant! (I'm from the November board )

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#3 of 7 Old 07-03-2005, 07:28 PM

WOW! What a journey you have been on. You must be so excited for this pregnancy. You certainly worked hard for it! I hope you have an uneventful and joyus 38-39 weeks of pregnancy. You deserve it!

Jill
#4 of 7 Old 07-04-2005, 08:58 PM

HUGE Congratulations!!!

I wish you a healthy and joyful pregnancy, topped only by the birth of a beautiful baby!

Thanks for sharing your story. It's amazing!
#5 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 AM

Wow, congratulations! Just curious, were you on the Pill before ttc? I'm wondering why you went so long without anyone noticing the fibroids.

We used cranialsacral techniques with my son as a newborn to help deal with the fact that he'd been positioned poorly in utero and was having trouble as a result. We haven't gone back since, but I was really grateful for her help.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#6 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne
Wow, congratulations! Just curious, were you on the Pill before ttc? I'm wondering why you went so long without anyone noticing the fibroids.

We used cranialsacral techniques with my son as a newborn to help deal with the fact that he'd been positioned poorly in utero and was having trouble as a result. We haven't gone back since, but I was really grateful for her help.
Nope, I've never been on the pill. They weren't diagnosed earlier because I'd never had a pelvic (mom never initiated as a teen, only hospitalization insurance until we were married, no reason to go for birth control - we were using condoms, no unusual symptoms - just "normal" cramps).

I really have no idea how long they were there for - although in retrospect it's interesting that for a long time (years) I noticed I had worse menstrual cramps on my left side vs. right and there was a large fibroid on my left side. Other symptoms I mistook for other things - peeing in the middle of the night meant I was well-hydrated, occasional constipation meant I wasn't eating well enough, etc. Since my surgery my menstrual cramps have been next to nothing - I was taking meds for cramps at least 1 or 2 days during my period. I really think that my birth defect created a "slow drainage" problem that led to stagnation that led to a prime environment for fibroids. My surgeon thought I should play the lottery since the changes of having both were next to none :LOL - I had none of the traditional fibroid risk factors (age/race/ethnicity).

Glad to hear your son had CST! That's such a great age for them to receive treatment

Thanks for the welcome and well wishes everyone!

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#7 of 7 Old 07-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Congratulations, Lisa!

With everything you've gone through, this baby is going to be one treasured little babe. Lucky baby, lucky you.

Wishing you a healthy, comfortable, non-eventful, beautiful nine months (well, now it's eight months, but you know what I mean ).....

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page