When does your ob/gyn/midwife want to see you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-06-2005, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering when to call my ob/gyn for my first appt. On one hand, I'd like to avoid the medical hooplah for as long as possible (which is why I haven't called to find out). On the other, I'm guessing he's going to want to do a ultrasound based on my history and to check for dates - 1st tri ultrasounds seem to be pretty much the norm for ob/gyns these days. While I'd like to delay an ultrasound as long as possible, I know the longer I delay it the less accurate it is for dates and I'm not sure how much credence he's going to give to my chart. I don't want him to make the due date any earlier. Arrrggghhh : I know I can refuse, but I'm also trying to pick my battles. Have I mentioned how much I *love* the medical model

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#2 of 14 Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 PM

hi Lisa!

My OB wants to see me at about 8 weeks. I don't know if he'll order a vag. ultrasound at that point, but I kind of doubt it. He takes the most laid-back approach to birthing I've ever seen, though. I had a "high risk" pregnancy last time, but there's no reason to think lightning (identical twins) will strike twice. :LOL

Were you charting/temping when you got pregnant? Sometimes if you can show your doctor your chart (with an obvious temp rise for ovulation) he/she will take that and determine your offical due date. It all depends if your doctor believes in NFP and charting, though--I've actually heard of a few that think it's all bogus! Can you believe that?!

There's no harm in holding off medical care--as long as you're taking care of yourself and the baby, a little delay won't matter.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 14 Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM

I talked to my CPM (homebirth-only midwife) as soon as we found out I was pregnant and she said to call back in a month and we'd set up an appointment for 16 weeks.

When I saw a CNM last time, they wanted me to come in at 9-10 weeks. I was so impatient then. Now I don't mind waiting, especially since I feel comfortable with the midwife and know I can call her anytime I have questions.

Lisa, if your doc thinks your chart is useless, please find another doc. I know you've got a pickier situation than most of us, but really, anyone who ignores a chart and isn't willing to be educated on what it means will ignore you down the road when it matters more. It's ridiculous to insist on an u/s to date a pregnancy when a chart is free and more accurate. Sorry--this is one of my pet peeves.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#4 of 14 Old 07-07-2005, 03:51 PM

The practice I go to (both OBGYN and CNM) wants to see me at 8 weeks. I have an appt. set for the end of this month. I always see the CNM's and they have delivered my 3 children - I love this practice. I have never had an early U/S so I doubt I will with this one! They just do the standard 20 week U/S, which is fine with me!

Sarah, mommy to Nathaniel, Ethan & Emily
Expecting a new bundle of joy 3/6/06!
#5 of 14 Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne
Lisa, if your doc thinks your chart is useless, please find another doc. I know you've got a pickier situation than most of us, but really, anyone who ignores a chart and isn't willing to be educated on what it means will ignore you down the road when it matters more. It's ridiculous to insist on an u/s to date a pregnancy when a chart is free and more accurate. Sorry--this is one of my pet peeves.
It's a pet peeve of mine too - but here's the deal, this is ob/gyn #4. #1 retired (he was low key about my pregnancy, was willing to wait to 39 weeks for c/s if no signs of labor, but did want 1st tri u/s), #2 (back-up doc for our homebirth midwives) wanted an ultrasound at 5 weeks, steroids at 20 weeks in case I ruptured early, weekly monitoring for labor contractions during 3rd tri, and c/s at 37 weeks, #3 c/s at 36-38 weeks because "if you go into labor your uterus will split wide open", and quite frankly if #4 wants to do an u/s to date pregnancy whatever - it's more important to me that he doesn't think my uterus will split wide open the second I have a braxton hicks, and that he's willing to wait until 38-39 weeks for a c/s. Now, if he wants to bump my c/s up a week because of the ultrasound vs my charting, then we'll have a talk.

The problem is Amy I've got a scar up the front of my uterus, across the top and down the back. I'm thrilled to find somebody who doesn't look at me like I'm a ticking time bomb of uterine rupture. They rarely do this type of surgery (unless you've had multiple losses or in my case are going in for surgery anyway for fibroids and it would be stupid not to fix something that extreme while you're in) so most younger docs have never run into it and only freak out. My best bet is an older doc who's been around the block, seen women in my situation and has a low key attitude about it. Dr. I's the best I've got in that category.

Do I wish it were different? Of course. But it is what it is, and I've got to decide where it's important to put my energy, and when it's better spent letting go and trusting the bigger picture. In other words, how do I play the game to my best advantage? We'll see how it unfolds .

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#6 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 12:32 AM

I saw an OB last time and I have no idea when my first appointment was. 8 or 10 weeks, maybe? I was just at the medical center yesterday for my orientation and made my first appointment with the midwives for Aug 22nd. I realized when I put that on the calendar that I'll be about 12 weeks by then. But, really, there's not much to be done at the early appointments anyway. And as a previous poster said, I was much more anxious to see the doc last time than I am this time. I am very excited to be seeing the midwives this time, though. I had a really great birth experience last time (except for the episiotomy the doc didn't tell me about) and I'm sure this time will be great too, but in other ways. The RN I talked to yesterday said she'd bet me money that I wouldn't have an episiotomy this time. Yippee!

Jill
#7 of 14 Old 07-09-2005, 01:08 AM

Oh what a long road Lisa--ick.

I posted a big reply to you this morning and my computer ate it.

I don't think I'd fight a first tri u/s in your position, either. I could see the doc wanting it for some sort of baseline and not just as a timing tool. I'd definitely bring your chart regardless and if he doesn't know how it can be used to pinpoint ovulation, I'd see if he's willing to hear you explain it. I don't understand why some docs aren't even willing to learn a little. If he does still ignore it, at least he's seen one and maybe it'll help someone else someday.

Your story makes me really grateful for my low-risk pregnancies. It's great to hear the perspective of someone who needs the high-tech help but understands that it's not the norm.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#8 of 14 Old 07-12-2005, 02:44 PM

I called the midwife I'm interested in the day after I found out I was pg. I went to see her a few days later. just to meet her and her assistant, and to answer any questions I had. She is having me come in at 12 weeks, so I won't see her again until August, but she told me to contact her if I had any questions.
#9 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 PM

I saw the midwife on Friday! I was 8 weeks by LMP, but actually I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow, according to my chart. I have another appointment at 12 weeks (by my chart this time, not LMP), and have some blood tests to do then, but no early ultrasound. My midwives do a prenatal checkup every four weeks from 8 to 36 weeks, and then once a week after that until you deliver.
#10 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira
I saw the midwife on Friday! I was 8 weeks by LMP, but actually I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow, according to my chart. I have another appointment at 12 weeks (by my chart this time, not LMP), and have some blood tests to do then, but no early ultrasound. My midwives do a prenatal checkup every four weeks from 8 to 36 weeks, and then once a week after that until you deliver.
Same here, Swandira. We are interviewing midwives now but most are not wanting to see us until 12 weeks (though the one we spoke with on Saturday said she likes to start care right from the beginning, even before conception, which I liked!). Bloodwork is coming up in a few weeks, but I won't actually see the NMW until about 11 weeks.
#11 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 AM

we see our CPM, homebirth midwife, on 08/05. i will be 7.5 weeks pregnant then and it will be my first visit. with my first, i saw the CNM at 5 weeks.
#12 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 AM

I met with my MW once already, but it was basically to assuage my DH's remaining doubts about HB (which was accomplished! ) and also to make sure she was the one I wanted to use. She has me scheduled to come back at 10 weeks.
#13 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 09:03 AM

#14 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM

We go in for a baseline check-up and u/s at 8 weeks, and then a vaginal exam at 9weeks...then not again for like, 6 weeks, I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page