New here! Anyone else nursing a toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. New to the March boards. Not quite sure about due date because my last period was June 6, but pretty sure we conceived on June 27 and I didn't test positive until July 11. I am going from conception date, so guess around March 20th. Will have to see what my midwife uses as EDD.

Not sure how I plan to deliver. Used CNM, was supposed to have birth center birth, but had hypertension and had decent hospital birth with mag after the delivery. Would like to do birth center again, pretty sure DH wouldn't go for home birth after the scare we had last time. Birth center, yes, homebirth probably not. We will see.

Am still nursing my just turned 3 year old, so kinda worried about miscarrying, etc, but am hoping that I can do it without problems.

Happy and excited to be here! Hope to stay active with all you mamas here.
#2 of 11 Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Pepper! Hi! Fancy meeting you here!
#3 of 11 Old 07-16-2005, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

hey rachel! pm me with your midwife's name, please! i am considering a homebirth, but not sure. especially with the PIH last time. DH and i were just talking about it before he went to bed and he is not too sure. he is totally okay with birth center and though we will probably go that route, don't want to be too closed minded. i REALLY want my waterbirth this time...
#4 of 11 Old 07-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Kam

Congratulations, Mama Nurse, and welcome!

Isn't it all so exciting?

We have a lot in common. I am mama to a bilingual, newly 3-year-old who is nursing, too. And it looks as though we conceived on the same day. How fun!

We used IUI to get pregnant with Meg, and this time, too. My doctor requested that I wean before starting treatment, but his only reason was that conception might be more difficult to acheive. After researching the only drug we used (hcg), I decided there was no harm in using it while nursing, so we went ahead without weaning. My hcg numbers have been strong, though my progesterone levels are a bit low. I think it's the latter that's affected by nursing, but I don't know. There is so little information available about nursing and getting pregnant. Maybe as a nurse you have access to better and more information.

Have you read something specific that makes you worried about miscarriage? Or is it just the statistics that nursing women miscarry more often? Do you plan to get an early u/s to check for heartbeat? That might allay your fears a little.

Good wishes to you! I look forward to getting to know you better.

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg, and one more?
#5 of 11 Old 07-16-2005, 01:32 PM

Well, her name is Wendi Cleckner. I interviewed several MWs and she's it for me, I think. I just really like her. She's supposedly pretty hands-off.

A birth-center birth and a HB here in Phoenix are basically the same, I think. A HB midwife brings everything to your home (except the big tub, you would have to use the fishy pool) that would be available at the birth center, in the way of Pit and O2 and all that. That was what caused me to consider HB in the first place.

We'll figure it out! Luckily we all have lots of time...
#6 of 11 Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Kam,

We do have a lot in common! I see your daughter is bilingual English/Japanese, my stepmom is from Japan and I speak a little (spoke a lot in HS, in Hawaii, but have forgotten a lot). We are planning to move close to them and she will start talking in Japanese to Abby and to our new little one. The baby should be pretty good since she will be so young when she starts hearing and speaking it. Abby learned a few workds when we visited there a few days ago. She has Einstein's Language lab and has been exposed to Japanese words and sounds since she was young and will try to repeat the "alphabet" when she hears it on the tape.

Anyway, congrats on getting pregnant! I always feel bad when people have to work so hard to get pregnant, I have so much respect for you guys and your kiddos are lucky!

Rachel,

Thanks for the info! I am planning on the birth center for now. I am starting the Brewers Diet (kinda, can't hurt) and am monitoring my blood pressure everyday to make sure it stays good this time. I really really want a waterbirth this time. My hospital birth wasn't that bad, but it sucked being in the hospital and the mag sulfate after the birth sucked big time.
#7 of 11 Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 PM

I'm nursing my 20-month-old, who still nurses fairly frequently.

Here is some information that may put your minds at ease about a m/c risk.

http://www.kellymom.com/tandem/faq/01safety.html

Melissa

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#8 of 11 Old 07-18-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks honeybee! That article was great!
#9 of 11 Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Welcome & congrats! I too am nursing a toddler - my dd is 3 yo also. I don't have intentions of weaning now, but we'll see what happens as this pg progresses.

Sarah, mommy to Nathaniel, Ethan & Emily
Expecting A Bundle of Joy 3/6/06!
#10 of 11 Old 07-20-2005, 02:12 PM

We are nursing and pregnant too! My toddler is 20 months old, and still nurses frequently. So far only my MIL seems to be worried about nursing putting me and the baby at some sort of risk...My mother and sister are very supportive.
#11 of 11 Old 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM

My 20 mo dd is still nursing - she would nurse around the clock if I let her. My family practice doctor said I should stop nursing as it puts me at risk, yadda yadda yadda but you know how mainstream doctors are. I do hope she weans before the baby comes though, she's very possessive of HER boobies so I think a fight will ensue if she sees me nursing another baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page