Funny Feelings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Everybody!! Hope all our little ones and mommies are doing well! Maybe this is a little wishful thinking but who knows...this weekend I splurged and went out with some friends to a small local bar. I went outside every ten minutes to escape the smoke but I definitely hit the dance floor like I haven't done in five months....As soon as I stopped, my baby started-i think! I felt like someone was drumming on my lower tummy and pubic bone.....baby dancing? or protesting? or my imagination.....lemme know what you guys think!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 11:12 AM

I have been most definitly feeling movement more and more as the weeks progress. When I first felt "flutters" it was a bout a month ago, but now their thumps. They dont happen on a regular pattern or anything (after I eat and stuff) but every now and then I get one. Its amazing feeling. I love it. Completly love it. The 5th month is an amazing time...so many things happen!

Phoenix
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM

I think it was the baby! Isn't it right around now that they start hearing?? Maybe the baby liked the beat!

Someone on the chat thread, maybe ahwuko?, said she felt something like popcorn popping. That's such a perfect way of describing it (even dh liked the comparison)! Right now I can definitely tell when baby is awake....for stretches of 15 minutes or so, he or she gives me little popcorn kicks. Last night baby was kicking really low between my leg and tummy (while I was curled up in bed), and I put my hand down to feel it....I think I felt it from the outside!!!

I love, love, love this part of pregnancy.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM

I'm glad you said that because I still wasn't sure if the popcorns were baby or (sorry) just my tummy....but today all day I felt it and after I ate chocolate cake, that kid kicked me for a good hour. I am pretty sure its the baby. How exciting!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:23 AM

Me too! I've been feeling it for about a week and a half, now it's several times a day! I read that 8:00 pm - 8:00 am is when they are most active- apparently when mama is active, walking, dancing, etc, it puts them to sleep. But when we stop and relax, they wake up and are active!

I also have noticed that when DH comes home and starts talking baby moves a lot. I like to think that it recognizes his voice and is doing a happy dance that daddy is home ... but probably it is because when DH comes home it is my time to relax and baby wakes.

I also had some chocolate last night for the first time in awhile, and could feel baby much more active after that point.

Fun for us!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Once you feel it, should you keep feeling it? I really thought I did, but now for the past two days nothing. I'm 18 weeks today so it is still a little early.

18 weeks - wow - time is passing. Seemed like I would never get here.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:29 PM

No, I felt it once and then nothing for about a week! Then when it started again I now feel it daily. Same with a friend of mine, it was a week before she felt it again. No worries!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:38 PM

Same thing with me, ahwuko. Last week it was actually freaking me out a little. I figured out eventually that feeling the baby depended a lot on the position I was in and the pants I was wearing. Having something tight against the spot s/he is kicking is the key (for me) to feeling the kicks. If I'm wearing really loose pants or just sitting, I usually don't feel much. If I'm wearing normal-fitting pants (that are getting kinda tight around the middle ), or if I'm leaning a little on my belly while in bed, then I feel the kicks a lot better.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:01 PM

I'm so bummed, I'm already 18 weeks and haven't felt one kick yet! I have a retroverted uterus, so my MW said it might be a while yet.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

OH, it is so fun, I feel them every day but never from the outside....i feel it and then try to touch my stomach to feel it, but then it moves....I'm 19 weeks, and my OB said I won't really feel it for another week or so!!!! Now if only my belly would pop out I'd feel perfectly pregnant!!! (I LOVELOVELOVE my second trimester, this last month has been amazing!!!)
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
I'm so bummed, I'm already 18 weeks and haven't felt one kick yet! I have a retroverted uterus, so my MW said it might be a while yet.

I have retroverted / tilted uterus as well and i have been feeling kicks for a long time.. hmm, interesting. Maybe the placenta is in a place that dampens the kicks so you don't feel them as much too?

I love how different every mama and pregnancy is, it's so powerful and awesome!

My lil one kicks so hard already that I can feel it on the outside, as can my mom. It kind of frightens me :LOL My son almost broke my ribs near the end of his pregnancy.... I hope this lil one doesn't.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 10-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
I also had some chocolate last night for the first time in awhile, and could feel baby much more active after that point.
Chocolate...eh? Maybe that's why I've been feeling mine move a lot. :

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I've read babies respond to some music with rhythmic movements, and if the music is still on, can be seen dancing with definite rhythm!
:LOL
Old 10-13-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

YAY!!!! I am very musically inclined and I told my boyfriend our baby would have some awesome rhythm!! Glad he's started already
Old 10-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Great! It seems like he is already shown you some of his personality... :LOL
Old 10-13-2005, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

OH that makes me so happy!! I'm an opera singer and I used to dance but the boyfriend wanted a Heisman winner looks like i win!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh
Chocolate...eh? Maybe that's why I've been feeling mine move a lot. :

That's it...I'm going right out for some chocolate! I cut back big time when I found out I was PG.

Actually yesterday I ate spicy mexican corn chowder and the kid went nuts. At least I think that's what it was - not kicks, but a buzzy, fizzy sensation. The poor thing either hated it, or really liked it!!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:12 PM

I still have a hard time feeling it from the outside, but I feel it all the time inside now, it's so cool! I think our little bean is sneaky- every time I put my hand on my belly it stops moving! DH has only felt it twice, even though I've been feeling it for weeks. Last night I lightly put my hand on my belly when it was active, and just left it there for about 20 minutes. Finally it started to move after it must've forgotten I was there. :LOL

I always see pictures of mamas with headphones on their bellies- can the baby hear music without it? If I just listen to loud music like in the car, etc. will it hear? Sorry this is off topic. I've also been wondering when it can hear DH's voice, I swear it moves more when DH comes home and starts talking!
Old 10-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
I always see pictures of mamas with headphones on their bellies- can the baby hear music without it? If I just listen to loud music like in the car, etc. will it hear? Sorry this is off topic. I've also been wondering when it can hear DH's voice, I swear it moves more when DH comes home and starts talking!
Yup, baby can hear the music just fine. I don't think headphones are necessary, myself. Also, lower frequencies, typical male voice, travels through liquid much better than our female voices, so the babe actually can hear pappas voice better and before it really hears our voices, if i remember right. (That's why boats make that deep muuuuuuaaaaaaaah noise on a foggy nights.)

Cool stuff, eh?

Old 10-14-2005, 01:50 PM

I don't feel mine very strongly or very often yet - I'm 16.5 weeks - but I do and have felt it for a while.
I had the same reaction the other night, ahwuko... I hadn't felt them in a WHILE, then all of a sudden when I was eating dinner - Skyline Chili, with all the fixings- beans, onions, hot sauce.. it was like bubbles popping, over and over, in rapid succession, in about the same spot. Hope that means they liked it!!! Odd as it sounds, its the only thing that can get rid of my migraine headaches - aside from highly caffinated Excedrin migraine which is a big nono now..

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

well.....turns out it was all my imagination!! went for my level2 sonogram and although I was 19 weeks, 4 days the baby measured 18 weeks 3 days and ,y due date is pushed back a week! Also, the sono tech said my baby is only 8 oz and there is no way i can feel movement yet because it doesn't weigh enough. Also, how accurate are sono tech's gender guesses?? Mine guesses girl but my boyfriend won't let me tell anyone cuz he thinks she is wrong since she said the word guess......
Old 10-18-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm guessing your sono tech was either male or a woman who hasn't had a baby yet.....of COURSE you can feel an 18 week old baby!!!! I've been feeling absolutely distinct kicks and rolls for several weeks now, and I was surely feeling them during the 17th and 18th weeks. .....some of the information you can get from sono techs is WAAAAAY off!

Oh....and until you know "for sure," I would avoid telling people the sex. It's no fun to have to go around and return a bunch of gender-specific clothing.

Congratulations, by the way!

Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 PM

I have felt this baby since I was 16 weeks with nice strong movements and at 18 weeks I feel it many many times during each day. My guess is the technician said guess it's a girl is because it's impossible to predict to 100 percent the gender, especailly if baby is not in an ideal possition.

Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010
Old 10-18-2005, 05:23 PM

Marchmommy, I can't believe they said that to you! Every body is different, and every body can feel things differently. If you think you are feeling your baby, I am sure you are feeling your baby! I'm 17 weeks and I've been feeling mine for two weeks. What on earth else does s/he think you are feeling? Aliens?

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

No, not aliens (although my baby sure looks like one right now on the ultrasound pics haha) she thinks i feel gas bubbles!!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 PM

Well, I finally felt some kicks last night -- very exciting! =) Like little thumps right where my uterus is.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchmommy
No, not aliens (although my baby sure looks like one right now on the ultrasound pics haha) she thinks i feel gas bubbles!!!!

Uhm, yeah, that's like a load of somethin' stinky! I've had TONS of gas this pregnancy and let me tell that techie, gas bubbles and baby movements feel completely different! Silly techie. I bet you have been feeling babe for awhile now.

My lil one is now taking to kicking my bladder strong enough to make me squeeze those kegels hard and get to the toilet, haha!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv
Uhm, yeah, that's like a load of somethin' stinky! I've had TONS of gas this pregnancy and let me tell that techie, gas bubbles and baby movements feel completely different! Silly techie. I bet you have been feeling babe for awhile now.

I wish I could tell the difference. I feel little popcorn blips, but I don't know if its the baby or gas. Your digestive system is being re-arranged, right? So maybe gas feels differently than it did before. I don't know! I think its the baby, but definitely not sure. At 19 weeks I still have some time to go.

Baby making me eat pickles....if I oblige maybe he/she will reward me with a thump or two.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM

So, I am 20 weeks - supposedly- this week, and I have not felt anything that feels any different from usual body function feelings - people have been asking and asking for a couple weeks now, and I am trying not to be anxious, but I am a bit. Heard the heartbeat week before last - there's definitely a baby in there - and no medical person has expressed any strong concern to me, and I know every baby is on their own schedule, but I must say, I would feel calmer if I knew what the heck the story was. anyone else have a late mover? Maybe in earlier pregnancies? This is my first.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 PM

Well, feeling movement depends on a lot... firstly, you knowing what it feels like so you can recognize it.. then there is where the placenta is placed... if it is on the front, you are less likely to feel those baby movements until they become full out kicks (26ish weeks give or takea few) and punches. Then there is WHERE the baby decides to kick, i don't feel the kicks toward my innards as much as out toward my belly, I just feel this light kind of bump then.

The baby is in almost constant motion from weeks 6-7 onward, except when sleeping of course. I do have a friend who didn't feel movement with her first until wk 24, so you aren't alone in this. I hope my explanation helps a bit, anyway.

User Tag List