Do you have a bra that works for you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-09-2005, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:LOL I can't believe how much my breasts have grown *already* and how HEAVY they are. Anyone else needing extra support these days? I'm searching for a new bra, so what's working for you?
#2 of 25 Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 PM

Mine have not really changed very much..i hope there is nothing wrong with me!?!?!
#3 of 25 Old 10-09-2005, 05:01 PM

Yeah, my ribcage seems to have grown, too. So far I am making-do with my roomier regular bras and some of these extenders I found in a catalog to make them longer. I'm really hesitant to buy new ones because I don't know what size I'll end up needing, or for how long.
Everyone I know has advice, but none of it seems to agree!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#4 of 25 Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 PM

P.S. Aminah, I think that as with everything with pregnancy, it varies for everyone! I wouldn't worry.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 25 Old 10-09-2005, 06:08 PM

Well, I could use something new, mine are getting too small and tight, but I sure don't know what to recommend. I love Bravado but their biggest size is too small for me.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#6 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 AM

Yeah, my ribcage is 4 inches bigger now than usual. Since I have had 2 pg and been nursing more or less for 5 years I've got several different size bras that I keep in the back of my drawer.

For that last trimester-first months of nursing I've liked the Bravados for stretchiness, I also have 2 from Decent Exposures. Decent Exposures is great because they make them for you-and they make cups up to a K. Not much for support, mine give me a uniboob, but they are so comfortable. Most of all I really LOVE my Elle Macpherson nursing/maternity bras. They are pricey but really well made. Lately that's all I'm wearing, but since they're sized for my post pg nursing size they're just starting to not fit.

I'd recommend that you definitely go buy a bra if yours isn't fitting, since most of us have the rest of October +4 more months.
I just ordered a soft cup bra from the Gap with my current rib size and a slightly larger cup.

-aminah-with my first pg, mine didn't really change until the last few weeks.
#7 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 AM

I'm in a similar situation..big heavy and OMG thank goodness they stopped growing! My band size hasn't increased but my cup size has, by measurements I should fit in a D, but let me tell you my breasts just won't fit! :LOL

A friend suggested Target's house brand if I wanted something similar to Bravado but just wanted to "try" a less expensive one. I tried one that was all cotton, and if it hadn't shrunk massively I think it would have given the support I need. If you try them, don't put them in the dryer! They are nursing bras which is what I was looking for because my band size wasn't increasing as quickly as my cup size.

The only other suggest I have is, if you use underwire to pull the wire out. I tried it with a couple of my favorite bras and that has given me a good supportive fit.

The one thing that has stopped me from going with Bravado, is they all seem to be pull-over style. I really perfer something I can hook/unhook and have the option of using an extender with.

~Angela
#8 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll check into Bravado & Decent Exposure. No Target around here, but we might be travelling over the weekend so maybe I can find one. I also prefer to have hooks, though. I'll be searching this week/weekend for sure, cause I need something new! I'm wearing my "bigger" ones from my first pg, but they still aren't big enough. I was only back into my "regular" bras for a month or two before getting pg again (since I was nursing) so I think they've just rebounded in full force! :LOL

aminah: I only had to go up a size or so around month 7 (I think) of my first pg. I think because I nursed dd for quite a while & then got pg again soon after, that's what's contributing to the early "growth" this time around. Enjoy the fact that you aren't lugging around any extra weight!!
#9 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM

I used a bestform nursing bra w/out underwire (walmart) while I was pregnant. I use it now for nursing. It is the most comfortable and supportive bra I ever owned, and the best thing is that I only spent $12 on it :LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 25 Old 10-10-2005, 04:27 PM

This is all new to me. I'm still digesting the idea of a baby - I haven't even thought nearly as far as new bras or anything else. I'm still wedging my boobs into my usual Victoria Secret bras and the effect is a bit scary. I can't get away with it for much longer.
#11 of 25 Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife
aminah: I only had to go up a size or so around month 7 (I think) of my first pg. I think because I nursed dd for quite a while & then got pg again soon after, that's what's contributing to the early "growth" this time around. Enjoy the fact that you aren't lugging around any extra weight!!
Haha.

Well i have gotten alittle heavier. My husband seems to notice these things more so than me!
#12 of 25 Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Last pregnancy, I had to buy new bras at 4 weeks, then again at 13 and 25 weeks. I went up one cup size and 3 band sizes before I was done. Since my son was 12 months, I've been at that 4-13 week size. I didn't notice much change this time around, but I'm still nursing.

I love my Bravados.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#13 of 25 Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 AM

Ahwuko,

My first pregnancy I was the same way. I stayed with my VS bras, but bought one bigger cupsize (from B to C) and a bigger bandsize (32 to 34) early on. That lasted through the entire pregnancy until my milk came in post-delivery. This time that is not the case. My ribcage and cupsize has exploded, and the freakin' tatas have actually changed shape. VS no more.

I think every body responds differently every time. All I can say is enjoy the pretty bras. You might not have that kind of luck the second time around!
#14 of 25 Old 10-12-2005, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'm stalking Bravados on Ebay.
#15 of 25 Old 10-12-2005, 05:19 PM

I can't believe I never thought of pulling the wire out of my underwires! What a great idea!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#16 of 25 Old 10-12-2005, 07:13 PM

I'm really trying not to spend too much money. My sister gave me a few nursing bras.

Unfortunately I just found out that I'm going to be in a wedding about two months after I have the baby, and of course, the dress is a backless halter thing with a very low V-cut front. I'm worried about the mechanics of this...could be a wedding disaster for the ages!!
#17 of 25 Old 10-22-2005, 04:06 PM

I had a problem finding bras too! I couldn't believe I needed bras so soon! I talked w/my sister and she said that she used nursing bras while pg. I had some of her old ones but they didn't fit right. So I used her and her website. www.breastchester.com She is really helpful and knowledgeable. She has Bravado, Elle McPherson, Anita, Melinda G, and more I can't remember. I am actually going to be getting new ones from her next weekend. I am up to a 36DDD. She also has clothes and supplies for breastfeeding. I am alittle biased , but she really is good at what she does.
Good luck ladies!
Jen
#18 of 25 Old 10-22-2005, 04:34 PM

I am the incredable braless wonder. After my last baby my breasts got to a size 42H. Ouch! They went down a bit but are again on their way to ginormous size. I have been unable to find anything that offers adequate support or is even close to comfortable that I can afford. I've never really worn bras anyway.

No help here. Hoep everybody gets the support they need.
#19 of 25 Old 10-23-2005, 12:04 AM

I have been using the Medela seamless nursing bras for the past 22 months (since Paige was born) and now that #2 is coming my breasts have grown even more! (Just in cup size, not in band size--argh!) Anyway, I like the Medela ones enough that I have ordered 2 more in the next cup size...hopefully I won't grow too much more!
#20 of 25 Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm still wearing nursing bras, as we are still nursing and they are working well enough (other than the fact I need a few news ones).

I get all my bras from www.birthandbaby.com it's a great site with the BEST prices on bras. Check out their fitting rooms, it can recommend bras by the shape of your breast
#21 of 25 Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

An MDC mama was kind enough to send me some Bravado nursing bras. They really are wonderful! I thought I'd hate pulling them over my head & having the whole back coverage, but the comfort & support is definitely worth it. At least it will be during the cool months, so my back won't be getting sweaty.
#22 of 25 Old 10-28-2005, 12:12 PM

I have small breasts (still fitting in my B cup) -- any recommendations for a good pregnancy bra? What about nursing bras?
#23 of 25 Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM

I haven't taken the jump yet and tried the Bravado, in a couple months when I'm *sure* (yeah, right) that I'm closer to final breast size I'm planning on ordering a couple.

I did pop into JCPenny's two weekends ago and picked up a pair of their house brand maternity/nursing bras. Almost all cotton so they don't dig into my shoulders and the weight doesn't pull them all out of shape

I remember these being great for when my cup size went crazy last time!
The woman that helped me didn't actually want to sell me a maternity/nursing bra because they usually don't sugget it until closer to term. So, don't be surprised if you are persueded not to buy.

~Angela *happily supported*
#24 of 25 Old 10-29-2005, 03:09 PM

That Birth & Baby site is fabulous! I spent $200!

#25 of 25 Old 10-31-2005, 02:36 AM

i have found title nine to have a great selection of bras. They have a bunch of stores on the west coast but are mainly a catalog company...
www.titlenine.com the woman in customer service are super helpful too. They have two nursing bras that i've heard are great!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page