two questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. I asked on the october thread also...does anyone know at what point you can actually palpate the baby from the outside? Not feel kicks, but identify body parts?

2. Showing off my limited knowledge here...so how mobile is the baby in there, anyway? I mean how often or how quickly can they completely change positions? I notice that a lot of people are talking about their baby's position on the ultrasound like the baby has been in that general position for a few days or weeks, but I got the impression that at this stage they could move around a lot more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-19-2005, 02:10 PM

The baby moves alot at this stage. Before long it will feel as though the baby is doing cart wheels in there. As you get closer to the end the baby will not change positions as much because it is running out of room. I think it varies from mother to mother when/if they can tell where an arm/leg/butt is without the ultrasound. Around 7-71/2 months I was able to tell dd butt was under right rib cage, her head was down and arm and legs were facing left. she pretty much stayed that way until delivery. As far as I know.
#3 of 11 Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...starting to feel what feels like actual kicks, not just flutters, but for the past few days I have this sensation of something on my left side only when I sit down - not a kick but feeling like an actual object there. I wondered if the baby could be in the same position for a few days - like a head or feet that are poking me in the same place every day.
#4 of 11 Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM

I'm not sure about the first one (honestly I don't remember) but in answer to #2: We watched our son completely flip over during the ultrasound. Twice. He had absolutely no problems changing positions. He went from the head on the left side to head on the right side and then back again. He also hung out head down for a few minutes. They pretty much do whatever they want right now. In a few weeks, their mobility will become more limited as they run out of room.
#5 of 11 Old 10-19-2005, 05:53 PM

I think I have been able to feel a back for a few weeks, maybe a month-I am 20 weeks today. I can't usually tell which end is up or down, but I can feel the curve of the back. If there is lots of movement at one end of the back then I assume that is the foot side and the other is the head, but I can't feel the difference yet. I can't just sitting or walking though, I have to be pushing around on my belly.

Mine moves all of the time. We couldn't even get a good heart beat last time, because the baby would move so far out of the way. I also think it is possible that even this early there is a position that it tends to move to. So even if it is moving all around some of the time, it might rest in that same place often.
#6 of 11 Old 10-20-2005, 11:07 PM

I think to feel the body parts, the baby has to get bigger and start to run out of room--I'm really remembering more like 8m. I was only able to do this during my last pg, when I was pg with #1 I could not figure out what anything was--even when she would do that alien baby swoop thing across my belly dh and I would be like "what was that!". no idea. my mw always knew exactly what was where though, she would try to explain it to me, but like I mentioned I only really understood last time.

I also think the amount of spinning and cartwheels depends on the baby, and the activity level of the mom.
#7 of 11 Old 10-21-2005, 01:49 PM

I can feel the baby's body now. I'm not sure which part I'm feeling but I can feel her! It might also be because my placenta is posterior. So what I'm feeling up front is baby.

Our baby also moves quite a bit and has changed positions (I've had a few ultrasounds). At this stage they still have plenty of room for acrobatics in there.

Jill
#8 of 11 Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM

This is my first, so I can only report what's been said to me. At my 18wk visit with my midwife, she told dh and I that when we came for the 22wk visit we would be able to feel body parts.
My little one moves a lot, and its funny bc sometimes I lay down in bed and look down at my tummy and I notice a little buldge on one side...not VERY noticable, but then when I touch it it is hard as a rock and if i put a lil pressure on it, the baby will kick..It is SO awsome!!!
#9 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 AM

Last pregnancy, the midwives were able to tell me that the baby was transverse at 20 weeks. This time, they didn't have a distinct position at 20 weeks, but I'm pretty sure they'll be able to by 24. I can feel body parts now at times that an experienced palpater could determine. Last pregnancy, I was able to tell the head from the butt by the beginning of the third trimester. For now, I know when the baby's switched position based on where the kicks are--last week they were high, but they've been low and to the right today. I figure those are limbs.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#10 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 10:25 AM

I'm at 18.5 (ish) weeks now and last night I was sitting on the couch for a WHILE- being a total bum haha.. but I felt distinct "movements" inside that were pretty strong, and decided to put my hand on my tummy to see if I could feel it- I could a little, just faintly! WOW!!!!
Also, after standing up a while earlier last night, I felt this hard thing on one side of my belly, then the next time I felt my belly, the same shaped hard thing was on the other side, instead. mobile little bugger!! SOooOOOoo COOoooOOOOL!!!!

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#11 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 AM

I can feel clear kicks, have been for about a week (I'm 21 wks). It was like, nothing, and suddenly, Oh! I can tell what that is! =) I wasn't sure if I would be able to, but it was so obvious. She kicks mostly when I am sitting still or crunched up in my tummy (slouching, laying on the floor, etc.). Claustrophobic like her mommy, I guess. =)

BF can feel them too. He got a chance to feel some good kicks the other day.

Oh, and the ultrasound -- we had one (the only one) last week and she was flipping around all over the place! =) Very quick and easy movements.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page