little weird belly shape question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-25-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....this is an almost-needless post, but I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else (especially second+ timers)....

I have my definite lower lump where baby is....but then above it I have this totally weird/icky lump of ????.....I know part of it is the extra pudge I was carrying, but what's the rest? It sticks out as far as the baby does! Is it my organs being pushed upwards? When I was pregnant the first time, I remember the lump starting out on the bottom and gradually moving up as the weeks went on. This time I just have one big lump, with baby on the bottom and other stuff on top.

When I was pregnant with my twins, I remember I was measuring 50+ weeks by the time I reached 40 weeks, so my upper abdominals were stretched out to the max (right under my rib cage, which also expanded, I had a shelf sticking straight out--I mean STRAIGHT out!). Did all that stretching cause this bigger lump?

Weird, I know. . It's just that if I relax my abdominal muscles, I look 6 or 7 months pregnant! If I stand normally, I look hardly pregnant, but I have this bizarro layer of flub above my waistline. It's taken that "I just look fat" stage of pregnancy to a whole new level.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 9 Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM

Your weird lump doesn't hurt or anything, does it? If it hurts or is sensitive to the touch it could mean an ulcer, maybe? But then, what do I know!? Before prego bellies start really looking like bellies, they do bizarro things! I'm 20 weeks with #2 and before my belly popped out I just had this weird flub and a hard uterus. Not pretty.
#3 of 9 Old 10-25-2005, 01:41 PM

Mine is exactly like that - a smaller bump down low, then turning into a much bigger, rounder, fleshier pot-belly bump above it. I just thought it was organs and belly fat that was rearranged. I am slowly but surely passing out the beer-belly stage into the actual pregnant stage.
#4 of 9 Old 10-25-2005, 02:42 PM

I think that would be definitely intestines and whatever bieng pushed up... If your muscles are stretched out, then it might poke out more?

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#5 of 9 Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 PM

I feel an 'upper bump' also. My midwife said there is some muscle there that can separate during pregnancy and it is probably that? Didn't make sense to me.
#6 of 9 Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allismom
I feel an 'upper bump' also. My midwife said there is some muscle there that can separate during pregnancy and it is probably that? Didn't make sense to me.
No, the abdominal muscles that can separate during pregnancy are the rectus abdominus, which run vertically down your torso and made up of two long bands of muscle, side by side. The separation occurs between the muscles, at the midline of your torso. Also, separation usually doesn't occur until late in the pregnancy when the belly is large and the muscles are highly stretched.

As far as the "upper bump" goes, this is my first pregnancy, but I am assuming that it IS your other internal organs being displaced and pushed upwards (and outwards) by your growing uterus. At 18 weeks I still have no belly, but my upper stomach (at and above the belly button) is protruding a little because my stomach is higher in my torso.
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Kam

Mmmm, for me at least, the second pregnancy is certainly not as cute as the first, in more ways than one!

If I suck it in, I have that weird sort of Bactrian double bump, but when I let it all hang out (which is standing normally for me), it's basketball city. Someone guessed I was 7 months pregnant the other day--I'm only 19 weeks. But hey, the more we show the more fun it all is, right? We won't be helped with our groceries again until we're 89 or so, so we might as well enjoy it!

Hey, you were so right about the floating uterus thing! I'm so glad you said something, because I had been wondering what that was way up there every morning, and now I know it was baby! Thanks for the tip.
#8 of 9 Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

That camel thing makes me smile-- you hit it right on the head (or bump)! It's either let it all hang out (basketball) or camel city.

Birth Junky~ I would guess that this normally doesn't happen, but my muscles are still slightly separated from my previous twin pregnancy. When I'm in bed, I can push my fingers past the first joint into the "slot" between the muscles around my bellybutton. Ahhhh....the joys of carrying twins. If I wasn't so darn proud about carrying them to term (something no one said I could do), I'd be bummed about the impact it had on my body. As it is, though, I'd rather have a lumpy bumpy abdomen than the premature birth alternative! (btw, that's not meant as a slight to any twin moms with great bods that might be out there.... )

You're probably all totally right--it's a mix of organs, flub, and weird 2nd pregnancy distribution. Thanks for the reassurances that I'm not the only one!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#9 of 9 Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 AM

I've got a weird combination, too. I look like I'm carrying high--the big roundness is over my belly button and I fit into normal pants--but I'm actually measuring low (at 21 weeks my uterus is still under my belly button).

I'm convinced my intestines just moved to their new higher residence until spring.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page