trick or treat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts on Halloween? Do you let your kids participate? If not, do you substitute something else instead?

I don't think I like it but not sure what a better alternative is. There's enough scary without needing to celebrate scary, and goodness knows we don't need to be handing out pounds of candy.
#2 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 12:26 PM

I love Halloween. I don't think it has to be scary. We just have cute pumpkins and scarecrows up as decorations. And I love dressing up. It's just fantasy, and I think it's fun!

The candy part is harder. So far, ds is happy to go trick-or-treating, without realizing he's getting candy to eat, lol! Of course, that will change. I think we'll just limit trick-or-treating to a small neighborhood, and then let him pick out the "best" things he likes to eat, maybe keep a treat every day for a week?

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#3 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 12:30 PM

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#4 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 01:22 PM

We don't do Halloween. I feel it glorifies Satan. (Among other things...) But I certainly don't argue with those that do!! We don't do anything in place of it, it's just another day at our house!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 01:23 PM

I think Halloween is fun, but for my little ones we try to keep it non-frightening. Just lots of carved pumpkins, window stickers, and play. This year my boys' costumes were supposed to be Tigger and Pooh (always my mother's favorite)...but Ian REFUSED to be put in a Tigger costume. Goofy kiddo....so this year we're revisiting his rhino costume, and James was Pooh.

I tried something new this year for trick-or-treating....I had one big bowl of candy, and another bowl of little toys (whistles, mini Halloween notebooks, and little rubber finger puppets). The kids were WAY more excited about the toys, and I got a big from several parents--I think they appreciated less candy. I think I'll be handing out toys from now on....kinda fun to be different.

, Daisie. It must be very difficult to split up holidays like that.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 03:55 PM

BRING ON THE CANDY!!!! (oops, did I say that out loud? : )

We love Halloween but try to make it fun and not scary for dd. We enjoy carving pumpkins, picking out costumes, and dressing up. This is the first year she's REALLY been into candy so we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking we're going to just keep the candy for a few days and then throw it out. If it's here, it's too tempting for all of us. Maybe we'll offer her something non-food/candy in exchange for her candy.

We took Kylie to a local harvest/halloween carnival on Saturday and today we'll be visiting various places (dh's work, local businesses w/friends, grandparents) to trick or treat. Should be fun!

Enjoy!

Jill
#7 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 04:27 PM

Halloween is a religious holiday for me, but I don't plan on celebrating the religious aspects of it with my kids. They will encounter it as a secular holiday until they're old enough to discover a spiritual path of their own.
#8 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Kam

Daisy, that sounds so hard. I'm sorry you're missing your little one. I hope things work out soon.

We have found that Meg enjoys doling it out more than being out T&Ting. She likes to really see the costumes and ask kids to take off their masks. I think it's too scary to be out with the flashlights and strange people in the streets. Her best friend comes over in his costume, and we hand out treats together.

As for the candy, we gave organic fruit rollups last year, but the kids grumbled, so this year, it's Hershey's city. For our own two, we have handmade cookies and other naturally good sweets, which they will greatly prefer to the junk in the bowl by the door (*mother trying to convince herself*).

Have fun and be safe tonight, everyone!

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg
#9 of 18 Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 PM

We are dressing up for Trunk or Treat at the church where the kids go to school. It's Trick or Treat w/cars instead of houses.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#10 of 18 Old 11-01-2005, 02:40 AM

we had a great halloween. we always go to the local mall and trick or treat. safer and she loves seeing everyone's costumes.

she picked out her own costume for the first time this year. here are some pics from tonight.
#11 of 18 Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 AM

We took the boys out for a few. William fell asleep halfway down our block so I walked a bit more with Timothy and DH and came home. Timothy was done early (we let him decide when he's done) and came home and had great fun helping us hand out candy. He decided a little later he was "not done" and we went to a couple more houses but he really just wanted to pass out candy. DH was home early for once, so that was nice.
#12 of 18 Old 11-01-2005, 12:22 PM

All Hallow's Eve is about celebrating and remembering the dead, which is what we do. A religious holiday versus how commercialized it has become in the States. I do not allow any types of sugar for wee ones, and definitely none for those who are sugar sensitive or have alcoholic backgrounds (ie all of my children /to-be).

If I were still living in the states, I would do the same with small things like notebooks as I prefer to respect my integrity.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#13 of 18 Old 11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Kam

MamaNurse, great pictures! Looks like Abby had a magical time. The carousel pictures are so cute (and nice tummy, too, by the way! ).
#14 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Religious holiday here, too. For me, it's a time to remember those that have passed on in the last year, which this year included two friends and some beloved pets. My husband and I were talking last night, though, about how this year we were more focused on the living. See, our dog was kicked in the head by a horse a few weeks ago and had to have surgery, but she's fine now. Same week, our 12-year old cat was bitten by a rattlesnake twice, in the face. He disappeared for several days, and we thought he was dead, but he came back, looking like The Elephant Man, but still alive. Also, we ended up having to have an ultrasound on Halloween day, because I had some spotting this week, and the baby was doing great. So this year, the dead sort of took a backseat to those that we were glad to still have around.

When my children are old enough, we will celebrate Samhain as the day to remember our friends and family that have gone before us, and set a place at the table for them to "join" us, but we will also celebrate Halloween, as a time to have fun and trick-or-treat. I loved Halloween as a child, and I do understand that the world is a scary place anyway, so why make it any scarier. But I want my kids to have good memories of loads of candy one day a year, costumes, pumpkins, ghost stories, etc.
#15 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthesea
When my children are old enough, we will celebrate Samhain as the day to remember our friends and family that have gone before us, and set a place at the table for them to "join" us,
I think this is wonderful. I don't celebrate Samhain but the general idea to remember those who have passed is great and it turns the scary death celebrated by halloween in the US into useful learning experience about death. Thanks. I honestly had no idea that so many people celebrated it as a religious holiday.
#16 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 PM

I'm Catholic so we celebrate people who have gone before us w/ All Saints' Day Nov. 1 (saints in this context meaning all faithful dead, not just the canonized ones).

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#17 of 18 Old 11-02-2005, 11:58 PM

Meg's Mom, is All Saints Day different from All Souls Day? I thought one was for the saints, and one was for all the dearly departed. Or do they just celebrate them both in one day?

I know that in Mexico and the U.S. alot of people celebrate El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) at the beginning of November, and they dress up and have parades, visit their family members' graves, eat special pastries, etc. I think that's a really cool holiday, too!
#18 of 18 Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM

I wasn't sure so I looked it up. According to http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/cust...ecost12aa.html

Quote:
31 October:
Hallowe'en: unofficially recalls the souls of the damned. Practices center around the reality of Hell and how to avoid it.

1 November:
All Saints: set aside to officially honor the Church Triumphant. Practices center around recalling our great Saints

2 November:
All Souls: set aside officially to pray for the Church Suffering (the souls in Purgatory). Practices center around praying for the souls in Purgatory, especially our loved ones

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page