Birthing Plans - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning another homebirth (HBAC #2). Everything went pretty well last time - I just hope I don't have amniotic fluid gushing out of me for 56 hours before the birth again! I will also not take any castor oil no matter how late I am! Hopefully I can be patient and let my body do it's thing. I don't have a history of quick labor which is good because my midwife will have to drive two hours to get here. I love to try a waterbirth again, but unless this baby is considerably smaller than my others, it's have stuck shoulders and I'd just have to climb out of the tub with the top of the baby's head sticking out of me. Maybe I'll use the tub for pain management and get out when it's time to push - I guess we'll see as it gets closer.
#32 of 39 Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 PM

Due to a maternal-fetal blood incompatibility (antibody- c/antigen-c), I will be unable to have the hba2c that I'd been planning. I absolutely must have a hospital birth, and there is no way my doctor will allow a vba2c, so..... this will be c-section #3 for me.

My dh will stay with the baby from the moment it's born and make sure our wishes are followed. There will be no erythromycin in the eyes and no Hep B administered. Typically, we wouldn't authorize vitamin K, either, but since the baby will need numerous blood tests at birth and very possibly blood transfusions, we will go ahead and administer vitamin K this time. If the baby ends up in NICU, we already know that they call the shots and all I can insist upon is breastmilk, not formula, be given. But aside from that, my experience with NICU twins showed me that the docs/nurses in there pretty much do what they feel is necessary, regardless of whether you want them to do it. It's my big prayer that this baby doesn't need NICU time.

I'm resigned to the c-section. It isn't what I wanted, but I'm unwilling to risk my child's life to avoid surgery. And since the baby will be born anemic and needing immediate intervention, everyone, even my midwife, said I really needed to consent to a hospital birth (and she wouldn't have agreed to keep me as a client, anyhow). So....that's what I'll be doing. Oh joy (not).

On a good note, my best friend will be flying over from Florida to stay in my room with me and keep the baby OUT of the nursery (assuming, again, that it's not in NICU).
#33 of 39 Old 11-09-2005, 01:55 AM

, Kate.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#34 of 39 Old 11-09-2005, 01:30 PM

I DO NOT want to put my little one under any undue stress. We are going to try everything we can to get around induction. I mean, it would not be my first choice, obviously, and hopefully we will know soon wether tht is what we need to be thinking about or not. I put together a plan from that brithplan webpage- thanks for that! and the plan assumes no induction will take place.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#35 of 39 Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I love reading everybody's birth plans. I haven't yet written out an actual plan but will do so soon. I had one with my daughter and told the nurses to tear it up and give me the medication. I was medicated and really had a great experience and my daughter was healthy and wonderful.

My husband and I recently found out that I'm a carrier for the genetic deficiency he has so our baby has a 50% chance of either being simply a carrier like me or having the genetic deficiency like my husband. Since the defiiciency can cause early childhood chirrosis of the liver and hepatitis, we are even more dedicated to a non-medicated childbirth. We had been planning a non-medicated childbirth all along, we just have more motivation now.

There are so many horror stories about hospitals so I am afraid to deliver there but I really really like my OB and she can't deliver anywhere but a hospital so I'm torn. Currently, I'm looking into birth centers rather than hospitals for a more supportive non-medicated birthing experience. Has anyone had supportive non-medicated deliveries in a hospital?
#36 of 39 Old 11-09-2005, 07:45 PM

I did! Unmedicated birth of twins, one breech, and it was a "high risk" pregnancy. ( sounds like bragging, I know, but such things can be done in a hospital, and happily!)

If you're uneasy about giving birth in a hospital, you can either change the venue (a birthing center is a good option), or do everything in your power to make the birth you want possible. If you want to be truly ready for an unmedicated birth, then that will take a lot of dedicated work on your part and on your partner's part, too. Whether or not you want to try Bradley classes (which have a GREAT success rate for non-medicated births in hospitals), you will probably want to do a lot of reading on the details of birth and, if you want the odds in your favor, hire a doula.

Between educating yourself, taking Bradley classes, and hiring a doula.... well, let's just say you'll have every possible base covered! Nothing's a guarantee, but effort never hurts!

BTW, I think two useful books are "The Birth Partner" by Penny Simkin and "The Bradley Birth" (title might be off??).... The birth partner is a well-rounded book, covering the plus and minus of every birth option. The Bradley birthing book is very militantly against using pain meds, but some of the mental exercises in it, and the descriptions of labor "types" are SO useful.

I'm sure others could give you great recommendations, too!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#37 of 39 Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. We started our Bradley classes three weeks ago and are doing our exercises and nutrition regiment. I'll look up those books you recommended. I think my mindset needs to be really set and my determination really strong. So far, I've read the Bradley book, "Husband-Coached Child Birth" and "Birthing Naturally" by Peggy O'Mara. I just got in the mail, "Childbirth without Fear" and "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way." I'll add your recommendations to the list. Reading helps me a lot! I'm glad to see success stories of Bradley births. Some of the propaganda gets annoying in class but I think the lessons and methods are really good. Now... if I can just get my husband to calm down too.
#38 of 39 Old 11-11-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm planning on going with the flow. I would like to attempt a VBAC. My first was frank breech and I didn't opt for the Dr. to attempt to turn her. I had an awesome C-Section experience, my daughter was born at 38 weeks and weighed 9lbs 2 oz. I'm very nervous about a vaginal birth especially given I'll probably have a big baby (it's in the genes). The thought of uterine rupture is also very scary but I'm going to go with the flow.
#39 of 39 Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 PM

Yay for VBACs! There is lots of good info and support at the VBAC forum here at MDC.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page