A little Halloween surprise! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
nepenthesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we were totally NOT going to find out what we were having. I have a MW, and she doesn't do ultrasounds herself, and we were not going to have one unless we had to. So we were content not to know the sex of the baby, and I was even excited about not knowing.

Then I started spotting this last weekend. Not bad or anything, but my MW decided I really should have an u/s. She hooked me up with a free one at a local college, which was nice . The lady who did the u/s was SO cute! She would just giggle and grin at every little thing the baby did. She found that my placenta was fine, and where it should be. The baby was doing great, and was moving around like crazy. Everything was determined to be fine, which did make me feel alot better.

On the way to the u/s, I asked DH if he still did NOT want to know the sex of the baby. Of course, he was like, "Well since we have to have the u/s anyway, I may as well find out. But if you don't want to know, I won't tell you". I KNEW that if he knew, I would pry it out of him before too long. So we decided to find out, which in a small way was a dispappointment, but in a way was cool.

So, the technician was looking around, and measuring things, and after awhile she says, "I've got to tell you- I just don't see a penis anywhere. I THINK it's a girl." She showed us the vagina and everything, which wasn't that noticeable to me, but DH said he saw it right away. Of course, he's seen more girl parts than I have .

I guess that's what we're having, and our MW already thought that's what it was, because her heartbeat had slowed down since the last visit. Of course, I don't want to rush out and buy a bunch of girly stuff, because I know a woman who had an u/s, and it showed her as having a girl, and she ended up with a boy! I mean, I could see my baby doing the dancing scene from Silence of the Lambs (you know what I'm talking about! ).

The other cool Halloween surprise was when the technician was trying to get a picture of the baby's face, and she wouldn't show her face. Then at the last minute, she looked up, and we got a perfect little skeleton face shot! I was like, "Oh, look! She dressed up as a skeleton for Halloween!" The technician made sure the date would show up on that picture and everything. I put it in a little frame when we got home. I SWEAR it looks like she's smiling in that picture!

We didn't have any preference for the sex of this baby, so we're pretty happy .

I guess that's one more girl to add to the March babies list, unless proven otherwise...
nepenthesea is offline  
#2 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 03:37 PM
 
Birth Junky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthesea
I guess that's what we're having, and our MW already thought that's what it was, because her heartbeat had slowed down since the last visit.
First of all, congrats on the baby news, WHATEVER the end result!

I would just add to be cautious about trusting the whole "heartrate as gender predictor" theory; my DH's parents were told throughout the entire pregnancy that he was a girl (apparently the OB had a very high success rate at predicting based on heartrate). Right up until the moment of birth, that is, when he realized his mistake!

As a result, there are no pictures of DH at birth, because FIL (who was holding the camera) was standing in the delivery room bawling like a baby at having the long-hoped-for BOY.

P.S. So, your midwife thought girl because the heartrate had slowed down? Funny; I had always heard that the heartrate predictor was based on girls having higher heartrates than boys . . . (*shrug*)
Birth Junky is offline  
#3 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
 
HappiLeigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pemberley
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats!! So glad everything looks healthy and fine.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
HappiLeigh is offline  
#4 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
 
rmzbm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 16,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats...I have to wait a WEEK to find out!!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
rmzbm is offline  
#5 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
nepenthesea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Amarillo, Texas
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky
First of all, congrats on the baby news, WHATEVER the end result!

I would just add to be cautious about trusting the whole "heartrate as gender predictor" theory; my DH's parents were told throughout the entire pregnancy that he was a girl (apparently the OB had a very high success rate at predicting based on heartrate). Right up until the moment of birth, that is, when he realized his mistake!

As a result, there are no pictures of DH at birth, because FIL (who was holding the camera) was standing in the delivery room bawling like a baby at having the long-hoped-for BOY.

P.S. So, your midwife thought girl because the heartrate had slowed down? Funny; I had always heard that the heartrate predictor was based on girls having higher heartrates than boys . . . (*shrug*)
That's cute that your FIL was bawling over a baby boy!

I'm not ENTIRELY convinced that it's a girl. My intuition basically says it is, but I don't want to decorate the nursery in pink (not that I would anyway!) and have it turn out to be a boy.

Yes, the MW believed it was a girl because the hb had slowed down. She said it's been pretty accurate in their experience at their birthing center. When I told my ILs, they had heard the same thing about the hb slowing down. But, I agree that it's not the most accurate way to predict gender. Hell, I had an u/s, and I STILL don't trust it completely!
nepenthesea is offline  
#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2005, 06:05 PM
 
melamama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: planet earth
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthesea
Yes, the MW believed it was a girl because the hb had slowed down. She said it's been pretty accurate in their experience at their birthing center. When I told my ILs, they had heard the same thing about the hb slowing down. But, I agree that it's not the most accurate way to predict gender. Hell, I had an u/s, and I STILL don't trust it completely!
I had asked my mw this time around about the heartbeat and the baby's sex, and she said that based on articles that she's read recently that it is not a reliable predictor.

very cute about your face pic. when ds saw the ultrasound screen and the dr. said that it was baby's face, ds said "that's not the face I want him to have"

I don't trust the u/s either. we have one pic that looks like this one sat down on the copier, and there is clearly something extra there sticking out between the legs, but I'll be convinced when he's born.
melamama is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off