heard baby with fetoscope today! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
had my 20 week appt with my MW today and she listened with the fetoscope to see if she could maybe hear heart with it. she did!! i listened, too and think i heard it for a fleeting moment. heard the baby moving around and felt him/her kicking against the fetoscope, too. she sent me home with one to use until baby is born. how cool is that! i tried listening today, but it was too noisy in the house. will try again tonight when there is NO noise. she said in a few weeks i should definitely be able to easily find it and once i hear it, i will know what it is! i am excited that we won't have to use the doppler so much now. we didn't use it today. she said the baby is really strong and heard a nice strong heartbeat for 20 weeks.

i was measuring at about 1 fingerbreadth below my belly button, but she said that was fine. i have only gained 5lbs, but she was okay with that too since i am eating healthy. blood pressure still great, which was a problem with my last pregnancy and i am praying for no problems with it this time.

anyone else using a fetoscope at appointments or at home??
#2 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 10:42 AM

I'm not but wanted to pop in & say congrats to you, how exciting!! BTW...no weight gain here at ALL...I have LOST weight...with a much bigger tummy, too - LOL!!!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 AM

i'm looking around to borrow a fetascope, but I may end up just buying one instead. I am hoping for lots of kids, so I guess I should just buy one, tee hee. OKay, I convinced myself, I will buy one. I love listening to the heartbeat, just don't want to use dopplers. Although, when she is aligned just right, I can feel, VERY VERY faintly, her heartbeat with my fingers. That was SO cool!

My lil girl likes to stick her butt way up high on just one side, so one side of my uterus is a finger above the belly button, and the other side is like 3 fingers above, LOL. It's so cute. I am getting sooooo excited. I cannot wait to meet my lil girl!

Glad to hear you're eating well and it's supporting your body's needs!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Kam

That's great! Congratulations on the good appointment.

I have been wondering whether we might be able to hear the heartbeat with a fetoscope yet, and now I know!
#5 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 03:21 PM

How exciting! I am hoping to buy a fetoscope myself (as an aspiring midwife, I figure I will be able to use it after this pregnancy as well! ) . . . you can find them fairly inexpensively on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FETAL-STETHOSCOP...QQcmdZViewItem
#6 of 12 Old 11-04-2005, 06:57 PM

I haven't pulled out my fetoscope yet. No luck with it two weeks ago, but I'm in no hurry. She's kicking so much I can tell she's fine!
#7 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 06:49 AM

I picked up one from Ebay and tried to use it two days ago. First, practiced on listening to my own heart, then tried to find Ben's....couldn't. I'll try again in a few days. I am feeling guilty using the doppler. Now that he is moving more noticeably, I don't use the doppler unless I feel nothing for an entire day...that paranoia thing I suppose.

Had a second ultrasound yesterday...Saw a really cool image of his face! This is my first pregnancy, and it's the coolest thing ever. Except having gained 15 lbs. so far. Everyone says I carry it well, but they haven't seen me naked....LOL!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#8 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 11:05 AM

We are planning a homebirth (May due date) and are not doing ultrasounds - but haven't decided on doppler yet. (Maybe you momma's have some input????) -

We are only 13 weeks and I am pretty sure I felt the baby moving around last night (first time!) - I am not slender but this is my second baby so....

I like the idea of the comfort of hearing baby with a doppler - but am still trying to weigh the potential risks.

So good to hear about your experiences with fetascope!

Traci
#9 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 PM

If you are not doing ultrasounds, then you will want to avoid dopplers unless really necessary. Dopplers use stronger waves than even ultrasounds do.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#10 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Your 20 week appt. sounds almost identical to mine--we were surprised to be able to hear the h/b with the fetoscope--the apprentice was even able to get a count (144 bpm). I too measured 19 cm and I was up 7 lbs. Last pregnancy, we couldn't hear anything until 23 weeks (and it was very faint) so it was exciting to really hear it at 20 weeks this time. We didn't do any doppler or u/s's this time so it was the first we'd heard from the baby.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#11 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyrobynne
Your 20 week appt. sounds almost identical to mine--we were surprised to be able to hear the h/b with the fetoscope--the apprentice was even able to get a count (144 bpm). I too measured 19 cm and I was up 7 lbs. Last pregnancy, we couldn't hear anything until 23 weeks (and it was very faint) so it was exciting to really hear it at 20 weeks this time. We didn't do any doppler or u/s's this time so it was the first we'd heard from the baby.
how funny. we did do doppler at the 16 week and 12 week, but didn't at the 20 week since we heard on fetoscope and now baby moves so much.

i am having u/s today. he should be here in 2 hours or so.
#12 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 05:01 PM

I heard my babe's hb on fetoscope at my midwife appt today, too! Pretty exciting! She even let my little girl, listen, too, although I'm sure she had no clue what she was listening for. Babe has been so active I've had no worries. S/he gave a good kick right to the midwife's hand today. I, however, am up about 13 pounds already.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page