weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2005, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering for those who are willing to share . How much weight has veryone gained so far? I am asking because at my app. this week they kind of got on my case for only gaining 3 lbs. so far. I am 20 wks. I have had 2 ultrasounds both of which have showed things to be fine. My growth otherwise is fine. Baby is moving a ton. So really I am wondering what the big freakin deal is? Won't the baby take what it needs first anyway? I had the exact same "problem" when pg. with dd. they gave me a hard time the entire time and ended up inducing me concerned about weight gain and possible stress to baby because of it. The end result was a perfectly healthy 7lb 4oz. baby. Should I just ignore the fact that they think it's a problem because that is what I want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 PM

I lost 10 lbs during the first trimester and have gained only 6 back so far but my doctor hasn't said anything - I'm 22 weeks. The ultrasound looked fine. Not sure if it helps but I like to think quality of food and consistency in diet is more of a concern.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Old 11-04-2005, 07:23 PM

I've gained almost 20lbs. it doesn't sound like you're having a problem to me! My midwife doesn't even ask my weight. She says, "According to the experts, everyone's either gaining too much or too little!"
Old 11-04-2005, 07:46 PM

I haven't gained weight. (I'm 20 weeks also.) I asked my OB about it, and she said it's nothing to worry about at this point, as long as I'm eating when hungry and I'm still not sick.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:05 PM

I've gained about a pound to two pounds, and I am at 19.5 weeks. They were very pleased with that at the dr yesterday....

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

Old 11-04-2005, 08:14 PM

I have yet to figure out this obsession with weight while pregnant. The only weight I put on was what the baby and in-utero environment was gaining. 62kg before birth 62 kg after birth. My son was 3.6 kg, i'm guessing waters was half of that and the placenta the other half, or something.

But really, everyone gains so differently, yk? Some gain like 90lbs others just a mere 12lbs... some gain steadily the whole time, others put it on fast in the beginning and others gain near the last month.

I'd say, give it no thought and let your health care provider huff and puff about it. And if they start going ape crazy, tell them to show you studies that show why one should be so worried over weight gain....

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 11-04-2005, 08:18 PM

I lost 10 and gained 2. With DS1 I lost almost 70 and with DS2 I lost 20 and gained 10. As long as the baby is fine and growing. My OBs with #1 were not even worried about my huge weight loss while pg, and they worried about everything.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 AM

These posts always upset me, because I never know if I'm good or bad. I gained about ten pounds so far, at 22 weeks, which I think is Ok. Although lately, I have been so hungry that my weight gain will probably start to accelerate. I really don't think I've put on a lot of fat. My chest is a lot bigger and so is my belly, but most everything else still looks about the same.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:08 AM

It's great hearing all of the different weight gains... i'm at 19 1/2 weeks and haven't gained anything...
It's great knowing we're all different and there's no right and wrong answer.
cheers,
marcy
Old 11-05-2005, 01:42 AM

Don't worry about your weight gain. Just eat when you're hungry, make sure you're eating good quality, nutritious foods, and drink lots of water. Especially if this is how things went the first time, I really wouldn't pay much attention to them worrying. Because I was so overweight when I got pregnant, I have only gained a couple of pounds. No worries. I know people who gained 60 pounds during pregnancy. The only "weight talk" I ever got was with ds#1 and my dr told me that being pregnant wasn't an excuse to eat all the junk I wanted, that she could deliver the baby, but she couldn't force the extra pounds off.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv
I have yet to figure out this obsession with weight while pregnant...But really, everyone gains so differently, yk? Some gain like 90lbs others just a mere 12lbs... some gain steadily the whole time, others put it on fast in the beginning and others gain near the last month.

I'd say, give it no thought and let your health care provider huff and puff about it. And if they start going ape crazy, tell them to show you studies that show why one should be so worried over weight gain....
EXACTLY!!!

I'm a woman who gains about a pound a week. Period. It doesn't matter how much I eat, how little I eat, or even WHAT I eat. I gain around the same amount of weight with every pregnancy (though a bit more with my twin pregnancy) ~ 40 pounds ~ and I lose it all after the baby is born, though I'm also not one of those women who lose it within 6 weeks.

My sisters are the same way. They gain about a pound a week over the course of 9 months and they lose it all by the time the baby is 9 months old. So I think I'm genetically programmed to gain/lose the way I do.

It used to really bother me, especially since doctors will tell you you should only gain 2 pounds in "this month" or whatever and here I'd gain 4. I even dieted during one pregnancy for 4 weeks, eating 1200 calories per day (dh & I documented it) ~ keep in mind I'm 5'10" ~ and I *still* gained 4 pounds by my next appointment. My doctor shut up about my weight gain after that.

Eat when you're hungry, make good food choices (but know that splurging here & there isn't going to make you hugely fat, just as it doesn't when you're *not* pregnant), drink lots of water, and don't stress about the scale.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:52 PM

i think everyone is different with how much they gain and when in the pregnancy they gain it. just like all babies gain weight differently. i have gained about 7-8 lbs and I am 21 weeks. with DD i had gained about 9 lbs by 21 weeks. i eat healthy most of the time so i figure it is just my body's way. my MW isn't worried about it. she says i probably just gain later in the pregnancy. with DD I gained a total of 35 lbs.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:00 AM

With my son I gained about 40 pounds.

This time, I have gained 20 so far. I'm 23.5 weeks. I have gained very steadily the entire time. Looks like I'm about on track to do the same thing I did last time. However, last time for me it did come off all in the first 6 weeks. And then I lost 20 more pounds. But I had it to lose, I was a little overweight. This time I started the pregnancy at a good weight for my frame, and I am still gaining exactly the same. I trust it will come off easily again with nursing. This is just how my body works, I guess.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 AM

I seem to have gained about 3 lbs over pre-pregnancy weight so far (20 weeks today!). I lost quite a bit during the first trimester, though, so I had to make that up.

My midwives are very relaxed about weight; when they found out that I had a history of eating disorders, they offered to skip the monthly weigh-ins completely. They got a baseline weight when I first went in, and nothing since then! They even said I didn't have to look at the scale when they weighed me, and wrote it in my chart not to check at my pre-natals.
It's not THAT big a problem for me, weighing myself . . . but it is nice to know they care so much!

They said as long as my uterus is growing like it should, and I am eating (which I AM doing, although I am still dealing with daily M/S), it doesn't matter what the numbers say.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:19 PM

I was already on the light side pre-pregnancy. So far i have gained about7-8 lbs, Thank God, because i have been wanting to gain weight for along time! I hope that i can some how keep some of the weight afterwards!

User Tag List