Funny - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A lady had an emergency C-section at our hospital today...she was full term and had no idea she was pregnant! The baby was a good 8 lbs. and healthy despite no PNC.

How does that happen?! You hear about it every now and then, but its so hard to believe someone wouldn't know. I guess she thought it was gas, but that would have to be some bad, bad gas!

I cannot imagine going to your OB/Gyn and having them tell you...you're going to be a parent in about an hour!
#2 of 12 Old 11-09-2005, 11:02 PM

nak
I'm not in you ddc but I had to share

I saw a show where a girl gave birth in her bed at school not knowing that's what was happening. She had her period the whole time and it was winter so her weight gain was normal. She had back labour but thought it was from her manual labour job where she lifts things all day (she hadn't worn her back brace that day). When she was ready to push her body just did it. She hjad thought she was just sick and the cramps were from her period! She was scared beyond belief when the baby crowned and then realized what was going on. She just finished having the babe and then called to her roommates!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#3 of 12 Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 PM

That's amazing.

I heard a psychologist talk about this once--she said that on some level, all of these moms know that they're pregnant. I mean, it's impossible to see something kick you from the inside at 7/8 months pregnant and not think "hmmmm..I wonder why something in my abdomen just shot out and moved my hand????" She said that most of these moms are going through a heavy form of psychological denial that starts when they're just a few months pregnant. By the time they're really pregnant, and feeling kicks/rolls, etc, they've been in such a deep state of denial that they don't even pay attention to the strange things their body is doing. They've already come up with an excuse in their head so they don't have to think about the possibility of pregnancy.

The same person also talked about people who are so convinced that they're pregnant that they start *looking* pregnant--some bodies even go so far as to have an enlarged uterus, etc. Jeff Buckley's mom went through this, from what I remember.

The power of the human mind is incredible. Glad to hear the baby is okay!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 12 Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 PM

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 12 Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
The same person also talked about people who are so convinced that they're pregnant that they start *looking* pregnant--some bodies even go so far as to have an enlarged uterus, etc. Jeff Buckley's mom went through this, from what I remember.
But she wasn't actually pregnant? I have heard of that phenomenon.

I really don't get the ones that don't know they are. Being pregnant right now, there's NO WAY I would go through 10 months of the changes I've been going through, and not know that something was up. But then again, I know alot of people don't pay attention to their bodies at all, and probably just dimiss anything out of the ordinary that they feel.

LOVE Jeff Bcukley, BTW!
#6 of 12 Old 11-11-2005, 07:09 PM

There was an episode on CSI: Las Vegas a year or so ago. This girl was maybe 16 and was so in love with her dad or step dad that she was showing signs of being pregnant because she convinced herslef she was.
#7 of 12 Old 11-12-2005, 12:55 AM

I remember reading an article a few years back written by a woman didn't realize she was pregnant. She had tried having a child for years, and finally gave up, believing it was impossible for her to give birth. She would normally go months without a period, so that was not an indication. She was so convinced she couldn't have a baby that she didn't notice the other signs, thinking movement was gas.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#8 of 12 Old 11-12-2005, 12:59 AM

I could not imagine. Gosh. Could you imagine? Wow. I wish I just didn't "notice" all the things that happend to me when I was preg!!
#9 of 12 Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 PM

I've heard of this happening locally here too... I really don't buy it that these people REALLY don't know they are pregnant, I mean, really... Like someone else said, they have to be so deep in denial to really not feel the movements and all...

I never heard of someone convincing oneself that they are actually pregnant, and showing signs and all. It doesn't really surprise me too much though- the placebo effect is really powerful!

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#10 of 12 Old 11-13-2005, 10:47 PM

I've heard of it too. One was an extremely obese woman who even had her Dr telling her that it was just gas. She had been told previously that she was unable to have children so that was a shock for her. I can;t even imagine being so out of tune with my own body I did not realize I was pregnant.
#11 of 12 Old 11-14-2005, 12:15 AM

Hehehe, mind over matter...to the nth degree!!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#12 of 12 Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Dogs do that. have "false" pregnancies...milk and all.

...also I used to drive a woman to her Drs appts and she swore her babies (all 5 so far) just *didnt* move in utero ????

that is very very hard to imagine...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page