November Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you believe we have 9 pages?? Maybe we can have another chat thread. If anyone is interested. If not, I guess the thread will just go away.
#2 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start. I am 21 weeks and feeling really good. I have occasional issues with sciatic nerve pain, but mostly when I work all weekend. I keep meaning to make an appt with a chiro or accupuncture or massage or something, but haven't.

Been trying to get the house organized and get myself a cleaning routine. My house is a mess. Well, actually right now it isn't that bad. I have been keeping up with the living room, kitchen and Abby's room. Next is to declutter our closets and then I will add the bathroom and eventually our room. I HAVE to get some kind of routine before the baby comes. Abby is doing good helping me clean sometimes as well.

Still haven't decided on the Rhogam. I am leaning towards none while pregnant and getting one after birth of baby since babe will probably be positive. But I still worry about something happening and I didn't get it.
#3 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yah. I just realized how close I am to 1000 posts! I have never worried about post count, but seeing how close I am and that I joined in November 2002, makes me want to get to 1000 before the end of the month. I think I can do it!
#4 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 06:40 PM

I have been having quite a bit of lower back, hip and pelvic pain lately but have finally gotten into a yoga routine which I believe is helping me a TON. I bought Yoga Mama and it is SO easy going. The stretching just feels so good in my pelvic region. My favorite part is doing squats while practicing your kegals. I am horrible about remembering to do them, so I feel good knowing that I'm at LEAST getting them in during the workout.
I'm starting to get a little nervous about the nursery. How early did all of you moms out there get yours done before? I'm just worried that I might not feel up to putting it together the last few months. Problem is, I want to wait until after my shower (in January) before I buy anything. I think it just really hit me that this baby is going to be here SO SOON. March is not that far away!!!

Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#5 of 20 Old 11-11-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

well, we didn't do a nursery with DD and won't with this baby either. part of it is that we rent a house that is really small and the only other room is the computer room. another part is that we planned to co-sleep. i got a co-sleeper and set it up before baby was born. plus, we knew we wouldn't get anything big for the baby shower, so i bought the big stuff as i found it on sale, etc.

do you have family who could help you set it up? maybe that would be something fun to do after your shower? have some lunch, maybe order in and put stuff together, etc. also, nesting seems to set in at the end and i think that helps kick people into gear with setting up their nursery, etc.

i have 2 DVDs i bought, crunch mama yoga and a preggo exercise that i haven't done yet. i know i need to. i am so bad. i did do it a few times, but i need to do it regularly. maybe i will try it for my sciatic pain. probably would help.

march seems so close somedays and so far away others. like close when i realize how much i still have to do to get the house organized, etc and so far when i am wanting to know what we are having. LOL.
#6 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 01:21 AM

I'm feeling really good (well, except for this stupid lingering cold!). There are days when I'm so busy, though, that I hardly remember I'm pregnant. I'll go to bed at night, finally relax, and think... did I even feel the baby move today??? I'm sure the baby did, but I wasn't paying attention. At least I'm feeling the little jumping bean right now!

I take bellydancing classes once a week, which is about all the exercise I get except for chasing after ds. I really should practice more! I'm getting an exercise ball and a pg yoga DVD for Christmas, though.

I most likely won't be getting the Rhogam during pregnancy at all. I havent' done the full-fledged research yet, but my mw said no studies have shown that the additional shots during pg improve outcomes at all, compared to giving it after birth if the baby's positive, which was the old protocol.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#7 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 AM

Hey there, mamas!

Mama Nurse, I hear ya on the workouts . . . I have a great prenatal Pilates DVD that I have only done about a dozen times, and I haven't even TRIED the prenatal yoga DVD! (Part of it is because the Pilates workout is only 20 minutes, whereas the yoga workout is an hour . . . Pilates is a lot easier to fit into my schedule!)

I hit 20 weeks on the 8th, and am STILL waiting to start showing! I noticed that the April ddc has already got a belly pics thread going, so I snuck in and checked it out . . . and now I am depressed!

Oh, well . . . hopefully by Thanksgiving I will have a belly, and be able to wear the maternity jeans I've been collecting!
#8 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 PM

In Sweden, they only give you the shot if the baby tests positive after birth (and they give you the shot within 72 hours of birth). And honestly, as long as the cord is not cut, pulled on, or placenta messed with to make it come out before it's ready, the chances of blood mixing are SOOOO small (from studies i have read, but links are in Sweden, not here where I am visiting) that I wouldn't even bother with the shot, as I don't like the idea of everythign else that is in it, entering my system and the babys's via breastmilk.... my 2 pennies.

Fun being RH -, eh?

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#9 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 12:09 PM

Let's see... approx 23ish weeks today. Baby is riding nice and high in my belly and I definitely look pregnant! Feels good to look pregnant finally, tee hee. Birth Junky, you could get a round pillow and stuff it in your shirt/pants

I have a freaking sinus cold right now (thank you dad for getting teh flu shot teh DAY before we came out, grr... our family(dh and I) is anti-vax). My spine is out of alignment and I can feel the muscles pulling funny, but mom made me an appt with her chiro the day after I get back from my dad's next week. He is Dr. Yummy. Melts your body like magic, and er, is good looking too. If you're into energy stuff, he's yummy in that way as well, hee hee. I think I need to get back to DH soon, *giggle*

Baby is kicking away every where lately. She likes to punch my cervix at night or whenever my bladder is full. I plan on swimming at least 3x a week,if not every day once we get back home to Sweden. I am hypermobile so pilates and yoga and even belly dancing (my fav!) are out right now until after I get my core muscles strong enough to handle anything else, oh and after I learn what is too much for my body. Too darned flexible for my own good here.

I am still very tired and have insomnia most nights. I hope that changes soon. I also still have too many food aversions.... oops lil one needs me.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#10 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Nurse
\

do you have family who could help you set it up? maybe that would be something fun to do after your shower? have some lunch, maybe order in and put stuff together, etc. also, nesting seems to set in at the end and i think that helps kick people into gear with setting up their nursery, etc.
That's a good idea! Sometimes I forget that I can actually ask for some help! I am trying to do the bare minimum with this nursery. I'm not investing too much into it because I plan on having the baby either by my bed or in it for quite some time. I just keep trying to remind myself that I don't need to buy everything that retailers tell you are "must haves". It's really difficult to sort through it all when you are a new mom and have no idea what you'll end up needing.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#11 of 20 Old 11-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Wendizbaby, I still haven't done much with my baby's room, either. I have alot of organization to do, and things to put in storage before I can really get anything done, like pull down wallpaper, pull up the carpet, lay down new flooring, etc. And I can't get the storage/organization things done until my husband has more time to help me, because there's a lot of heavy stuff that needs to be moved. It's not a real big deal, because I plan to co-sleep, but I want the baby to have it's own little room to keep clothes and stuff. I figure I might get it all done before the baby comes .

I definitely look pregnant! I don't know if I am bigger than average, but I feel like it sometimes. I look at my growing belly and realize I still have about four months of growing to do, and that kind of freaks me out! I think people just now realize that I'm pregnant, and not just gaining weight, because suddenly in the last two weeks, people are starting to pet my belly . It's not bugging me yet, luckily.

I am trying to keep up the prenatal yoga, walking, weight lifting, etc. I quit for a little while because I was spotting, but now that we have determined there's not a problem, I need to get back into it. I was feeling really good while I was doing it.
#12 of 20 Old 11-13-2005, 02:46 PM

At our last place, my parents came down one day and painted/cleaned the room we set up for the babies. They really loved it--helped them get in the grandparent-y mood. They were also the ones to take my old crib and rocker apart and repaint it in non-70s colors ( ). If it's possible, I think it's fun to ask grandparents, aunts, uncles, and close friends to help out. Makes the baby more real for them...

This time I told myself I wouldn't decorate a room for the upcoming baby--last time we co-slept for almost two years, so the room just sat there unused (except for changing and clothes). .....then I went on Ebay and found all this great stuff....a new quilt, cute little plaid curtains, Beatrix Potter prints....and decorating a room for baby is so much fun! Needless to say, I've changed my plans. Now I'll be decorating the room, but we're keeping the guest bed in there so guests can use the room until this son of ours needs his own room.

Hey, is anybody else having troubles with the elastic bands on the tops of their maternity pants?? : Last time I used panel-pants, and they drove me crazy. This time I'm using pants with a thick elastic band around the top, but after wearing them a few days, the elastic band folds over and won't be folded back!$#@ It's driving me nuts, and double-thick elastic around my waist feels like I'm being sqeezed by a rubber band. Anybody have any creative solutions?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#13 of 20 Old 11-13-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby
I am trying to do the bare minimum with this nursery. I'm not investing too much into it because I plan on having the baby either by my bed or in it for quite some time. I just keep trying to remind myself that I don't need to buy everything that retailers tell you are "must haves". It's really difficult to sort through it all when you are a new mom and have no idea what you'll end up needing.
Exactly about the "must [not] haves". I am having a great time putting baby's room together, and I love to go in there and just sit and think about her, even though she's going to actually *sleep* in our bedroom, and her room doesn't have any matchy-matchy character items or what-have-you. My mom always made me feel like my room was a place I could go and be quiet and just do my own thing, and it never (almost) had to be clean. It was just my quiet space that was all mine. Since we can squeeze out the extra space for her, I want this babe to have her own room from the start, so she gets the same feeling, even though early on it will just be a place for her wee little things, and for me to apply my not-so-impressive sewing talents. I did buy these great prisms to hang in the windows to make rainbows when the sun shines in, and it's very whimsicle and sweet.

I've been walking for exercise, but lately it's making my back hurt. Anyone else?

And Elizabeth, my silly pants are giving me all kinds of trouble. Those waistbands twist and fold and I don't like them at all. Now I know I'm a panel-pants kind of girl.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#14 of 20 Old 11-13-2005, 10:44 PM

My pants are doing that too - the elastic gets all twisted up inside. I am developing a weird habit of checking my belly too often, because a few times I was out and suddenly realized I was doing a Britney Spears. Although in my case, I didn't spend a lot on maternity clothes, so my one pair of pants has gotten way more wear than it probably should. I just bought another pair so hopefully they will last me a lot longer. I don't have the energy or time to go to Ebay and bid or look for a consignment shop.

On the blues side, I hate winter!! Not that I don't my baby, but I do miss my coffee, my high heels, my nice wool work pants, being able to clip my toenails without resorting to contortion...of course these are all selfish things, I KNOW, but still. Some days are more tiring than others. (And nobody say "Wait til you have a baby to deal with!!") Its tough with my husband away too. I spent all afternoon raking and bagging leaves - not one neighbor offered to help an obviously pregnant woman out in freezing weather raking a huge yard. And they all have leaf blowers, too! :

That's my vent for today...tomorrow I'll be nice again
#15 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 AM

Hi All! I've had some cold symptoms, too. One of the preggo books I read said that this is normal for this time in our pregnancy. I've been taking some homeopathic remedy- it really helps a lot.

I'm 23 weeks, and although I have been showing for awhile, I now have suddenly become more rounded, and look more "cute pregnant" KWIM? I love it!

We are moving this weekend from Northern California up to Portland. We will be renting a friends' house, then (hopefully) buying a home before the baby comes. Not sure how much time we will have to decorate a nursery before baby comes, but we aren't too concerned about it. I figure we'll have some time after the baby is born, at the beginning we can always change diapers on the bed, etc. and we will be co-sleeping, too.

Today one of my girlfriends and I were supposed to have lunch together for the last time before I move. I showed up to the restaurant with my mom, only to find it was a surprise baby shower for me! Apparently even DH knew about it and had kept a really good secret. I was very surprised! I got some cute baby clothes, burping cloths, etc. but the best thing is that they chipped in and got us 17 weeks of diapering service! Very very cool!

I have been feeling sad lately about moving to a new place where we don't really have any friend (although we will be closer to family) and having a baby there without calling someone to go for a walk with, etc. But all in all, I'm really excited about the move. It was great to have sort of a send off down here before I leave.

Baby has been kicking like crazy- sometimes I think it's an octopus in there, with 8 limbs! I've also been feeling Braxton Hicks contractions- very strange! But I love feeling all the changes... except the constipation, I could do without that one!
#16 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 02:01 AM

Ellie, what homeopathic are you using? I had a bad cold last month and it is finally gone -- I don't want to go back to having a cold again. =/
#17 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
We are moving this weekend from Northern California up to Portland.
I am from Portland!! What part of the city are you moving too? I will be making a trip home after the baby is born..perhaps we can have a baby play date!
#18 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 PM

nubianamy- I am using Coldcalm, it's a combination of several different remedies. So far it has really helped with the runny nose, congestion, and sneezing- but I have only just come down with the symptoms, trying to keep it at bay!

aminah- :-) It would be great to get together when you come to Portland! We are renting a house from a friend in Vancouver while we explore the area and figure out where exactly we want to be. Wee are pretty open, looking everywhere in the PDX area, including the burbs. We go back and forth with wanting to be close to the city, or out a ways where we can have a bit more yard. We're pretty open right now!
#19 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 10:59 PM

^
There are so many nice areas to choose from too! The Laurelhurst area is very nice in SE. There are nice places in NE, NW, and SW PDX as well. If you choose the burbs..at least you can ride the MAX downtown for cheap..it is a very affordable and easy way to travel around the city.
#20 of 20 Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 PM

I finally broke down and bought a pair of maternity pants...they were so comfortable and I had to have them altered. I wore them for 2 weeks and tonight when I was ironing them I realized the whole rear end was ripped open!! I hope I haven't been wearing them around with my butt seam wide open but I suspect I have! Fat pregnant lady with her pants split.

And I doubt they'll take them back, since I already altered and washed them. NOW what am I going to wear?! I had to go to a professional conference this weekend too *sigh*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page