Some good 1st year books? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New mom here and I was wondering if any of you have read any good 1st year with baby books? Just the basic sort of stuff...swaddling, what to expect, etc. I always like to feel prepared!
Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2005, 10:14 PM

With our first we used the Sears' Baby Book all the time. I also have a more recent edition of the Dr.Spock for a wider range of illnesses.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:53 PM

I LOVE The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. It's great! I read it shortly before ds was born. There were a few things in it that I thought wouldn't be for me (like cosleeping)... until ds arrived and I learned better, lol! Besides the parenting philosophy that Dr. Sears espouses, though, it's an all-around good resource for medical advice, baby care, and child development.

Another good one is The Happiest Baby on the Block (author name escapes me at the moment, but you can find this one pretty easily).

For dealing with sleep issues, try The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley or Nighttime Parenting by Dr. Sears.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 11-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Kam

I can never recommend highly enough Becoming the Parent You Want to Be. I give it to any new parents I think might appreciate it. It's not strictly regarding the first year, but does include some interesting sections about babies. For me, it started me thinking about important things before I absolutely needed to, but at a good time for discussions and mulling it over. I feel so much better prepared now when things like "Mama, how DID that baby get into your tummy?!" come up. Wonderful, wonderful book!

And I will second the Pantley and Sears recommendations. The Sears's book Family Nutrition is also an interesting and helpful resource.

Isn't it fun?

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM

I'm in favor of Sears, too. Thanks for the recommendation, Kam!

I really, really liked Our Babies, Ourselves. It's a book on ethnopediatrics -- looking at the way we raise our kids as a reflection of the values of our society. There's a lot to support cosleeping, extended breastfeeding and other AP styles of parenting.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your feedback! I wrote all the names of the books down and will be checking them out in the library!

Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

User Tag List