Omigod! I just found out something really crazy.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-16-2005, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...so I had an appointment with my midwives Wednesday. DH's mother went with me. The midwives marveled at my huge belly, which is the only part of me that seems to be growing. They started trying to feel around for the head, back, butt, etc., and they couldn't figure out which parts were which. They measured me, and I've gone from 25 cm to 35 cm in 4 weeks. They started whispering and acting kind of weird, so I knew something was up. They made me an appointment to have an immediate ultrasound, because I either had a very large baby, twins, or excess amniotic fluid, and they needed to know why.

Some of you know that I had an ultrasound on Halloween, and it was dicovered that we were having a little girl. Well, I was getting this second ultrasound, and the first thing I saw on the screen were these two round things that I didn't remember seeing at the first ultrasound. I asked the tech what they were and she said they were two heads. I was like, "Not twins!!!" and she said "Yes. there are definitely two babies in there."

As you can imagine,I am in a state of shock. I have three months to prepare myself for one more baby than I was expecting. It's very exciting, but I am freaked out for the time being. DH was convinced I was playing a joke on him, and wouldn't believe me. He is really excited, though. He said all along that he thought it would be cool to have twins. My family is ecstatic, of course!

Twins happen to run on both sides of my family, and in DH's, too. We just didn't think we would get the luck of the draw.

Both babies look totally healthy, and are the same size. I guess the "new guy" was hiding in the back, although the little girl moved around so much, I didn't think there was any way possible for there to be amother baby hiding out. The new guy wouldn't show us it's parts, either, so we have no idea what it is. My mother-in-law and I strongly feel that it's a boy, though, which would be great!

My mws think so far that things look good for my planned waterbirth. The babies are both head down, and in seperate sacks. Of course, if things change, we will have to make other decisions, but I'm really hoping to use the birth center.

Anyway, that's my big news. I feel like I have just found out I am pregnant all over again, and I wanted to share. At least this explains my big belly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 PM

I'm not preggo but noticed your post on the new post search.

Just wanted to say congrats and enjoy!!!

I have a friend who just had her twins a month ago.

She found out at 25+ weeks, she had an us done because she was sooo big
#3 of 30 Old 12-16-2005, 11:23 PM

Wow! Congrats and on the unexpeded new addition! Talk about a surprise!
#4 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 12:21 AM

WOW!!! What a surprise!!!
Congrats on baby #2!!!

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#5 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 AM

Wow! Congratulations!

Just out of curiousity (it's such a great story!)....how did they miss the second baby in that first ultrasound? Did your midwives explain how the tech could have done that? I've never heard of a multiple baby being missed at a mid-term ultrasound before! That's incredible!!

Big-time congrats on being a future mom of twins. It's going to be a wild, fun, lovely adventure. Are you connected with any LLL (La Leche League) groups? If not, you might be someone that would REALLY, REALLY benefit from attending a couple meetings pre-delivery. If you can, call the local LLL leaders and ask which group has moms who have nursed twins or multiples....when you're at the meetings, you can seek them out and get lots of good support and advice. In my own experience, the greatest challenge when you start with twins is nursing....it really pays to have at least a couple of other women you can call with questions specific to twins and nursing. I'm sure your midwives will be a big support with getting nursing going, but there's nothing like talking with someone who's done it themselves.

That being said, I nursed my boys for over two years, and it was a lovely, special experience. Twins are great! If you ever have questions or need support, always feel free to PM me.

Wow, though! Hands down, that's one of the coolest pregnancy stories I've heard in a long, long while! TWINS!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 02:55 AM

wow! Congratulations!
#7 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 03:18 AM

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! What exciting news.

This is the second time this has happened to someone that I "know" on MDC recently - must be something going around...
#8 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 03:39 AM

Congratulations! I agree with Elisabeth ~ twins are special and you're going to have a great time with them.

Remember, however, that while it's very possible to carry twins to term, a large percentage (like half) are delivered prematurely. Drink LOTS of water ~ I'm talking a gallon per day ~ because dehydration is a huge cause of preterm labor and you can prevent that. Also, make sure you're getting at least 100 grams of protein per day.

So is the second baby a boy or a girl? I was thrilled to have b/g twins (I have a twin brother, myself, and always wanted b/g twins).

I'm happy for you and I hope the remainder of your pregnancy is uneventful and really wonderful!
#9 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 04:14 AM

Wow! That is crazy!! Congratulations! Good thing you didn't find this out at the birth instead!
#10 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 04:51 AM

Wow what a surprise! CongratulationsX2!

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#11 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 AM

That's absolutely amazing! I, too, found this thread using the New Threads search... I was sucked in by the title... THAT IS CRAZY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
#12 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 AM

Wow! Congrats!
#13 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
Wow! Congratulations!

Just out of curiousity (it's such a great story!)....how did they miss the second baby in that first ultrasound? Did your midwives explain how the tech could have done that? I've never heard of a multiple baby being missed at a mid-term ultrasound before! That's incredible!!

Big-time congrats on being a future mom of twins. It's going to be a wild, fun, lovely adventure. Are you connected with any LLL (La Leche League) groups? If not, you might be someone that would REALLY, REALLY benefit from attending a couple meetings pre-delivery. If you can, call the local LLL leaders and ask which group has moms who have nursed twins or multiples....when you're at the meetings, you can seek them out and get lots of good support and advice. In my own experience, the greatest challenge when you start with twins is nursing....it really pays to have at least a couple of other women you can call with questions specific to twins and nursing. I'm sure your midwives will be a big support with getting nursing going, but there's nothing like talking with someone who's done it themselves.

That being said, I nursed my boys for over two years, and it was a lovely, special experience. Twins are great! If you ever have questions or need support, always feel free to PM me.

Wow, though! Hands down, that's one of the coolest pregnancy stories I've heard in a long, long while! TWINS!
I have NO IDEA how they missed that first baby! I wasn't planning to get any u/s at all, and I spotted during the middle of my second trimester, so my mw suggested one to rule out any placental problems. The tech spent alot of time on my belly, looking around in there, and went all over the place. The baby moved around so much, too, that I don't see where the other one could have been hiding. At this second u/s, the instructor herself (This was done at a college, so I get them free ) did it, and right away, we saw those two heads. She is very upset with the student that did the first u/s, but DH and I both really don't see how it was her fault. We did not see any indication of a second baby. And my mws hadn't picked up a second heartbeat yet, either. It's like IT JUST APPEARED . We're all very surprised here!

There is a LLL group that is almost two hours away. I have been planning on going, and haven't had a chance to go yet. I only have about two more meetings before these babies come, but I want to go, esp. after finding out about this other baby. I know I'm going to need the support!

Thanks alot . I was actually thinking of you when I found out, because you were the only MDC mama I could think of right away that I "talk" to that has twins.
#14 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3g3b
Congratulations! I agree with Elisabeth ~ twins are special and you're going to have a great time with them.

Remember, however, that while it's very possible to carry twins to term, a large percentage (like half) are delivered prematurely. Drink LOTS of water ~ I'm talking a gallon per day ~ because dehydration is a huge cause of preterm labor and you can prevent that. Also, make sure you're getting at least 100 grams of protein per day.

So is the second baby a boy or a girl? I was thrilled to have b/g twins (I have a twin brother, myself, and always wanted b/g twins).

I'm happy for you and I hope the remainder of your pregnancy is uneventful and really wonderful!
I am definitely drinking alot of water, and trying to up my protein intake, too. I want to carry them as long as I can. My mws had a client last year that gave birth to full-term twins, 8 lbs. each, so I know it can be done.

We couldn't see what the new baby is. It wouldn't show it's parts! I guess it's shy . I really feel like it's a boy. The funny thing is, when we found out twin #1 was a girl at the first u/s, I couldn't really get used to that. I had a hard time saying "her", and was still saying "it". Now that we have this other twin, even though I don't know what it is, I keep referring to it in male terms, and now feel like I can call the other one a girl. I also never had mother's intuition on what the baby was before any of the u/s. I felt like it could be either one. Now I understand why.
#15 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
I'm not preggo but noticed your post on the new post search.

Just wanted to say congrats and enjoy!!!

I have a friend who just had her twins a month ago.

She found out at 25+ weeks, she had an us done because she was sooo big
That's exactly what happened to me . Like a pp said, better to find out now that at the birth!
#16 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 03:51 PM

wow!! how exciting and scary at the same time!
#17 of 30 Old 12-17-2005, 05:42 PM

Congrats!

I'm 25 weeks and while I've known since 5.5 weeks, the shock is still there. Good luck with the preperations, both mental and physical!

Paula
#18 of 30 Old 12-18-2005, 10:36 AM

YAY!!!!! WOW!! YIPPEE!! How exciting! What a fabulous surprise! I'm sure it will take major adjustment to your plans for everything, but what a blessing!

Congratulations!
#19 of 30 Old 12-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Wow! Congrats! How shockingly fantastic!!

My MIL just recently mentioned that twins run on her side of the family...every other generation. This will be her third grandchild, the first two were singletons....
#20 of 30 Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 PM

Woah!

Congrats!
#21 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Congratulations! But, wow, what a shock to get used to!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#22 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 AM

Oh my! Now that is a surprise!!! Congrats to you and your family. I keep getting teased that I am carrying twins even though we have had our u/s that just shows one babe. Now I don't think its that funny at all. hehe
#23 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM

Whoa! Now THAT's a great story. Just goes to show that ultrasound (and u/s techs) aren't infallible, eh?

Congratulations and good luck with your preparations for TWO babies! How exciting!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#24 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

That's AMAZING!!! Congrats!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#25 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Oh my! Now that is a surprise!!! Congrats to you and your family. I keep getting teased that I am carrying twins even though we have had our u/s that just shows one babe. Now I don't think its that funny at all. hehe
You better watch out! Alot of people teased me about having twins, since my belly is big. I even told my husband, "If we hadn't had that u/s, I would swear I was carrying twins...". Now that I'm telling everyone, all these people are coming out of the woodwork and saying, " When you told me your due date, I was wondering if you could be having twins." Yeah, I bet it's not funny now!
#26 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 PM

Now that you've had a few days to let the news soak in, how are you and your dh adjusting? Any concerns or questions?

I've been telling everyone your story....I just can't get over it!

#27 of 30 Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
Now that you've had a few days to let the news soak in, how are you and your dh adjusting? Any concerns or questions?

I've been telling everyone your story....I just can't get over it!
Yeah, I pretty much had adjusted to it by the end of the next day, and now I wouldn't have it any other way! DH did alot better than I. He was immediately VERY happy, and calling all of his friends. I thought he would be terrified, but he's less afraid than I am. We have decided that it's great this is happening with our first pregnancy, because since we have no real idea of how hard it is to take care of babies, it won't be as much of a shock. Also, I decided that if I'm going to go to the trouble of squeezing one baby out, I might as well squeeze another one out at the same time .

One thing that was bothering me was not knowing if it would be possible to bf, co-sleep, cd, sling, etc. with twins. I went over to the Parenting Multiples forum, and those ladies let me know that I could do all of the above. That made me feel better. I'm sure I will have more questions, and I will be seeking your advice .

We can't quite get over the news, either! It will be a great story to tell the kids later on.
#28 of 30 Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Cool! Glad you're feeling happy and confident. Sometimes adjusting to twins news can be a little tricky.

And yeah--I can't tell you how many times I've heard "you're lucky you had twins FIRST!" I think people have a point.

Congrats, and like the other twins moms said...keep your protein and water intake up, and you'll hopefully be taking home two full-term, chubby babies! : for you!

#29 of 30 Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Visiting from April....WOW! Congratulations!!! I think I would literally pee my pants if that happened to me! I do have to admit that you have me a little tiny bit worried that could happen to me, because I'm suddenly WAY bigger (my uterus is really high all of a sudden not corresponding to weight gain) than I was at my last MW appt (22weeks- I was measuring normal then though) and I've been feeling movement both up by my ribs and down low at the same time. We got a pretty good look at our little one at our 19 week ultrasound so I can't imagine there would be anywhere else for a baby to hide in there...but after reading your story I suppose you never know! Anyway, CONGRATS!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#30 of 30 Old 12-21-2005, 10:14 PM

WOW! Congrats. You are the second MDC mama that I know of recently to find out she's having twins well after 20 weeks.

Everytime I reconcile myself that surely there's only one in there, I read a post like this and my paranoia increases...

and obviously your story proves that an u/s won't necessarily prove anything.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page