Exercise - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-18-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else having difficulty getting enough exercise? Nowadays I am just feeling so awkward and large and inflexible, even just getting down to stretch. I do spend a lot of time walking and on my feet at work, but after work, I'm just pooped. Not to mention, its frigidly, freezingly, frozen here and actually going out for walks is not an option (I already fell on the driveway like I stepped on a banana peel! My husband freaked out!). I've been trying to get out the mall and walk a little bit and do some simple things at home, but even a short exercise session leaves my muscles exhausted.

What else are you doing?
#2 of 13 Old 12-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Kam

I make it to a 1.5 hr. session of prenatal yoga a week. That's it. I'm shamefully lazy and out of shape, and nervous about how hard it's going to make my labor. GOod for you for trying to get out walking. Every little bit helps.
warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
#3 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 01:51 AM

I'm not doing a darn thing other than lugging my 30 lb toddler around and slowly going crazy. I asked my MIL to get me a 2 month membership to the YMCA for Christmas and it sounds like she's taking me up on it. Thank goodness!

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#4 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 06:04 AM

I've been walking 2 miles i dunno maybe 3 times a week. That's how far it is to the grocery store and back (no car, just double jogging stroller) but yeah it is getting harder to do. Mostly it's the pubis and hip pain that gets me, it's weird because sometimes the walking helps and other times it seems to get worse afterwards. Last pregnancy I stopped walking altogether hoping all I needed was to take is easy and let things heal, but it got worse anyhow and ended up getting lazy so i plan on doing some walking all the way up to birth this time - running after the kiddos counts right? Off topic but has anyone else's kids figured out that mommy is a lot slower pregnant so they run off in the grocery store, away from diaper changes, etc....??

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#5 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a hard time with it. Although I don't totally get why it would make delivery easier. It isn't like you can work out abdominal muscles now. I can see why flexibility might be useful. The main benefit it seems is that afterwards you might not have as far to go to get back in shape, but it seems like even that's a far cry - most things I read say expect 9 months to a year before getting back to pre-PG weight anyway.

My joints just don't feel good - legs, back, hip and stretching a lot and doing a lot of walking seems to make it all worse. In the morning, I feel like I'm 80, especially after I exercise. I guess I'll just keep doing what I can.
#6 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Just wanted to chime in here (a little late to the conversation). I'm having a hard time getting enough exercise, too. Here in MN it's super-snowy/icy and very cold. Walking is treacherous, and though I have been able to cross-country ski a few times, the past week it's been too damn cold to do even that. (Skiing is my best option b/c it's easy on my wonky joints, and there's a huge park 3 doors down. So the whole thing, from getting dressed to getting a nice workout w/ some fresh air, to getting undressed again, only takes about 1/2 hour.)

Pretty much anything that requires leaving the house in the evenings is out of the question. I WOHM full-time, as does DH, and he's got grad-school night classes as well. With making supper, cleaning up, bath-and-bedtime routine, and just spending a little time together, there's no room for exercise.

It really bums me out. I want to get/stay in shape just b/c I know how much it'll help to have good stamina to get me through this birth. Last time (in the hospital) I had the option of drugs to help me rest if needed, but this time (home birth) I won't.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#7 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 01:58 PM

iF one is ablet o with their busy lives and schedules.. getting into a swimming pool is great exercise and a relief from all these achy and stiff joints. I try to get down to the pool a couple times a week and put my boy in a sitting float ring for part of the time while I walk back and forth (up in water to just under the breasts) pushing him around in spinning circles. It's like a little body spa to get relief from those aches, heheh.

I think the best benefit of exercise, is not so much to make muscles ready but to help the heart and lungs get oxygen everywhere during labor.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#8 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv
iF one is ablet o with their busy lives and schedules.. getting into a swimming pool is great exercise and a relief from all these achy and stiff joints. I try to get down to the pool a couple times a week and put my boy in a sitting float ring for part of the time while I walk back and forth (up in water to just under the breasts) pushing him around in spinning circles. It's like a little body spa to get relief from those aches, heheh.

I think the best benefit of exercise, is not so much to make muscles ready but to help the heart and lungs get oxygen everywhere during labor.

Good points, all of them. I do have a pool. I do not have a bathing suit that isn't horrifying
#9 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 04:35 PM

This post is wonderful!! I've been in Bradley classes for 7 weeks now and I'm always guilt ridden when we talk about our progress with diet and exercise. I'm trying so hard but life is so busy. Usually, I can get my 4-year old to do my exercises with me and it gives us time together. I made a "Pregnant Momma's Exercise Book" when I was pregnant with her so she flips through the pages and we do the exercise. It's not very routine, but at least we're moving and my heart rate goes up a bit. Then, we squat for a while. I'm hoping to deliver in the squatting position.

It's hard to exercise though.
#10 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 AM

Not doing much of anything here either... I was taking the dogs out for a long hike once a week, but that is getting hard with all the snow. Last week, theygot into something they shouldn't have, and of course it was at the bottom of a steep hill. I had to slide down on my butt. It sort of freaked me out being so vulnerable.

I just feel like I'm going to topple over at any second, especially with the ice and snow. Besides the fact that my long johns don't fit me anymore either!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#11 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 07:25 PM

Like y'all, I'm having trouble exercising. I do walk about 30 minutes a day because I take the bus to and from work. I'm really bad about doing my Bradley exercises -- by the end of the day I just want to fall asleep! But this is what we're supposed to be doing:

Pelvic rocks -- this is how you get your tummy muscles in shape when you can't do sit-ups! Very good also for getting your baby into anterior position. Kneel on hands and knees and tuck your butt in without moving your back, then relax and let your belly hang. Do 100x/day.

Squats -- huge for getting your quads in shape! I definitely notice a difference in my strength when I do them regularly. Stand with legs spread fairly wide. Lean forward, bend knees, and slowly lower into a squatting position with hands out in front (if you do it right, you won't fall over). Hold the squat for a few seconds, then slowly stand again. I do it with no hands, but you can use your hands to push off your knees. We built up to 20 reps.

Knee presses -- sit with knees together, supporting yourself behind you. Your DH sits with his knees around your feet. He uses his hands to provide resistance on the outside of your knees as you open your legs as far as you can, then he presses inside your knees as you close your legs. Strengthens those muscles on the insides & outsides of your legs.

Kegels -- start with quick squeeze-release, maybe 50x day, then do squeeze-hold for 10 seconds and then release (12x at a time, 3x day), and finally do the "elevator kegels" where you squeeze a bit, count 3, a bit more, count 3, fully tight, count 3, and release in counts of 3 (12x, 3x day).

Any other recommended exercises? I haven't even cracked open the prenatal yoga video sitting on my shelf.
#12 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 PM

I have to admit.. I've been doing good with exercise, getting to the gym 3x a week to do elliptical trainer for a 1/2 hour and some back/arm machine exercises (low rows, pulldowns, and another I dont know what its called) and stretching. I did stretch a bit too much last friday and had sore inner thighs all weekend because of it I think. I donno, I just feel alot better the next day when I exercise than I do when I don't. My hips don't bug me as much and I feel like I have more energy.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#13 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 PM

If it were just me, I'd be doing a very poor job with the exercizing. However, DH drags me out of the house more often than not for a 30 minute brisk walk. Two nights ago I flat out refused because of the cold, so he drove me to the mall to walk there!
It's not so much that he physically forces me to walk...he just guilts me into it! I guess that's what it takes for me, though!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page